Speed Racer

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Jim - right on. I think if you expect a level of camp at the same degree as the show, you'll be very happy with it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

It's Speed racer. I'm going in to be entertained, and from the looks of the trailers, I shan't be disappointed. :bounce:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Damn straight. Don't go in expecting Shakespeare, and you should be happy. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Damn straight. Don't go in expecting Shakespeare, and you should be happy. :wink:
"To race or not to race, that is the question."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I wonder if they'll use the original theme song in the movie.

"Here he comes... here comes Speed Racer... he's a demon on wheels..."
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:Damn straight. Don't go in expecting Shakespeare, and you should be happy. :wink:
"To race or not to race, that is the question."
:P
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:I wonder if they'll use the original theme song in the movie.

"Here he comes... here comes Speed Racer... he's a demon on wheels..."
Well, Spiderman I had an older theme song playing over the first part of the credits. Maybe they'll do that here.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Something like they did in Spider-Man with the old cartoon theme would be great.
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Here's some info on the new Mach 5:
The Mach 5 will be seen in the live-action film adaptation Speed Racer, directed by the Wachowski brothers, produced by Joel Silver, and released by Warner Bros. Pictures. The Mach 5 will be an actual vehicle in the film. Instead of being driven on pavement, it will be hung from a crane and have its effects computer-generated.

The steering wheel hub is still present on this version of the Mach 5. Although most of the original functions of the car are still intact, some areactivated by different buttons. Others are abandoned completely and replaced with new functions. The features that are still kept in this incarnation are:

Auto Jacks
Grip Tires
Deflector
Rotary Saws
Homing Robot
The functions abandoned in this version of the Mach 5 are:

Frogger
Illuminating Eye
The functions on this Mach 5 are: (*)New functions are represented with Bold Italics.

Control A = Jump Jacks

When pressed, the car releases and immediately retracts long automated car jacks that make the car jump over any hazardous obstacle. The car also releases these jacks to boost it for any repairs and adjustments

Control B = Bullet-proof polymer deflector (D in the original)

When pressed, the car sprouts a bullet-and impact-proof shield that encloses the cockpit into an airtight chamber.

Control C = Tire Shields (Replaces Frogger function)

When pressed the car sprouts shields from its tires to prevent tire damage from secret weapons of other racing competitors. Speed can control the motion of the shields by remote control inside the cockpit.

Control D = Hexodyne emergency spare tires (Replaces Illuminating eye)

If a tire does get heavily damaged, this button causes it to regenerate. This function applies to any of the Mach 5's four tires.

Control E = Zircon-tipped cutter blades (C in the original)

When pressed, the Mach 5 releases two rotary saws from the front of the car that can cut through almost anything.

Control F = Tire crampon grips (B in the original)

When pressed, the Mach 5 sprouts special spiked grip tires for traction over any kind of terrain (firm, icy, or unsteady ground; ocean floor; vertical mountainsides).

Control G = Homing robot

When pressed, the Mach 5 releases a remote control robot bird capable of recording footage anywhere
Thought it was about time for an update since this movie is coming out on the 9th
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

VERY cool. Good find, Blackstar.
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Thank you. I just wish I could find something on the Mach 6 now.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

My two cents, yet another cash-in on and old cartoon series, add one more to the list of movies that didn't need to ever be made.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Duskofdead wrote:My two cents, yet another cash-in on and old cartoon series, add one more to the list of movies that didn't need to ever be made.
There don't need to make it. Wanting to is a different matter. Besides, it's about time we had more live-action versions of anime around here.

There also making a new series, Speed Racer: The Next Generation, which wasn't built with the movie in mind. It's based on the adventures of a kid named Speed who's an orphan who only has a Speed Racer-like scarf and a unique key. He goes to the racing acadamy run by Sprittle and attended by X, Speed Racer's son, and where Speed Racer has been MIA. He befriends a girl named Lucy who's a workaholic and Conner(his roomate as well) who's a lousy driver but a great mechanic, and also who's a huge Speed Racer fan, even wearing his original outfit and has a robotic monkey named Chim-Chim. He wanted a real monkey but he was allergic.

After wrecking a junker borrowed from Connor and coming in second in a race against other newbies and X to test his skill level, Sprittle gives him access to the junk yard where Speed's key starts glowing and creates a holographic grid that leads him to the parts of the original Mach 5 which Speed and his friends rebuild. Although it doesn't have all the bugs worked out when he tests it, with the gadgets going heywire, and the more advanced then before Gizmo bird even launches. The robo bird later beats down on the monkey. But that's not important.

After wrecking the car in a race agains X, Speed and friends discover the plans the the engine for the Mach 6. Then Sprittle explains that Speed was actually the son of Speed Racer and X's younger brother and was hidden from the public for his own protection.

Also, the bad guy's race team used to get beaten by Speed Racer a lot, and payed for The Track, the race track used by the racing acadamy. He also tried to destroy all Mach 6 design plans.

That's about as far as I got when watching while babysitting my cousin last night. The only notable differences between this car and the original Mach 5 is the more advanced Gizmo bird and that it keeps it's Deflector closed during the races. Probably to make animation easier.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Death Note: Anime that was a good idea to make into a movie.

Speed Racer? ehh..... I think everyone could live without it.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Duskofdead wrote:Speed Racer? ehh..... I think everyone could live without it.
Oh, come on. What American boy didn't grow up, with the desire to drive the Mach 5?

Also, the Speed Racer TNG series I was talking about before, the only thing I didn't like about it was the animation was barely average. And in my defence I didn't know it was american animated until after I checked on the web so I gave it a fair chance. Rest of it was at least half-decent if not a bit generic. I think it has potential.

Oh, I forgot to mention the virtual track system, where they get to drive on multiple tracks without having to go to different locations. Also makes it a challenge on less realistic courses.