France's last WW1 veteran dies

In the real world
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

As you can guess, Irish history is not a a well-taught subject over here. I have of course heard of the events you mention, but only in passing and without much regard for the implications you mention. Striker is right, however, in comparing the reaction you describe with that received by soldiers you fought in Viet Nam.

On the subject of Ireland: today is St. Patrick's Day, which in America is far from a typical saint's day on the Catholic calendar. Rather, over here it is a day of debauchery, parades, bar-hopping, public drunkenness, and completely wanton behavior - or, as the Irish call it... Monday. :wink:

I assume that it is certainly NOT celebrated the same way in St. Patrick's adopted country, but either way I will raise a glass of uisca beatha to my Irish friends!
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

There are several reasons its forgotten.

A) Bugger all media fottage of it. There is literally Thousands apon thousands of hours of footage and millions photos about WWII and thus we know lots about it. Most of WWI is story telling and thus less interesting to learn.

B) Most of us have Grandperents who fought in the war and who will sometimes talk about it making it more real. Everyone who fought in WWI is pretty much dead.

C) I hate to say this but WWI was not nearly as interesting as WWII. WWII had better tech more interesting politics and stategy behind it. While WWI isnt boring persay compared to WWII it is kinda bland for the everyman.

D) We are still living with the after effects of the war were as WWI has been lost to the sands of time.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Really, though, we should view WWII as WW1.5; the second war was really just a continuation of the first after a long pause. WWI was the main reason WWII happened, so it is equally important, and should be remembered and recognized for its significance.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Excelent points, Teaos, I think you hit the problem on the head, there.
Mikey wrote:On the subject of Ireland: today is St. Patrick's Day, which in America is far from a typical saint's day on the Catholic calendar. Rather, over here it is a day of debauchery, parades, bar-hopping, public drunkenness, and completely wanton behavior - or, as the Irish call it... Monday.
Yep, just an average day over here. Except now we have a legitimate excuse for all that. :wink:
I assume that it is certainly NOT celebrated the same way in St. Patrick's adopted country,
Oh, I can assure you that it is.
but either way I will raise a glass of uisca beatha to my Irish friends!
Happy Paddy's day to you, too! :D
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

As I am part Irish, I'll raise a glass to the day. Cheers, my friends.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Really, though, we should view WWII as WW1.5; the second war was really just a continuation of the first after a long pause. WWI was the main reason WWII happened, so it is equally important, and should be remembered and recognized for its significance.
Indeed, the two were inseperable linked not just politically but tactically and operationally. Without the development of air power, tanks, infiltration tactics, artillery coordination and amphibious assault tactics in the First World War, the major operations of the Second World War would have been impossible.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed. Without the lessons learned at Galipoli, Normandy would likely have been a bloodbath.
It's also interesting to note that many of the leaders in the second World War fought in the First World War. Hitler was a colonel in the army, Mussolini also fought in the Italian army, Truman commanded an artillary battery, Churchill had something to do with high command (IIRC, he was responsible for Galipoli), and plenty of others.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:Indeed. Without the lessons learned at Gallipoli, Normandy would likely have been a bloodbath.
Not just how not to do it, but how to do it. Second Alamein, for example, was a classic 1918-style set-piece breakthrough offensive
It's also interesting to note that many of the leaders in the second World War fought in the First World War. Hitler was a colonel in the army, Mussolini also fought in the Italian army, Truman commanded an artillery battery, Churchill had something to do with high command (IIRC, he was responsible for Gallipoli), and plenty of others.
Hitler and Mussolini were both Corporals, Goering commanded Richthofen's "Flying Circus" in 1918, Churchill started the war as First Lord of the Admiralty, got kicked out after Gallipoli, and spent about six months commanding an infantry battalion on the Western Front.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Tsukiyumi wrote:Really, though, we should view WWII as WW1.5; the second war was really just a continuation of the first after a long pause.
I've heard that theory too and agree with it. And not like the period between was peaceful.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed. It was more of a half-time with some substitutions made for various players.