Electronic display screen inside your arm

In the real world
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:
And makes it more difficult to make repairs and upgrades to your phone. What happens if gets damaged? If I cut my arm will I be electrocuted by this stuff?
It's powered by your blood not a wall socket. :roll:
so, if the blood that's charging it isn't damaged, but the electric crap is damaged there is no possibility that it won't shock me?
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
so, if the blood that's charging it isn't damaged, but the electric crap is damaged there is no possibility that it won't shock me?
Well if there's no blood flow, there shouldn't be any power. The power required to run this thing wouldn't be near enough to hurt you unless you ripped open your chest and applied it to the heart. It'd probably be like a static shock.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Mikey wrote:So should I abandon hope of a possible better way to control a life-shortening illness, or avoid disabling effects, because I can get an iPhone instead?

I understand your point, Blackstar, but as Rochey and I both pointed out there are beneficial applications far beyond the simple popularly-marketable ones. A continuous, real-time blood (or lymphatic, etc.) monitor that could communicate on its own with a physician's office/database would be very literally a lifesaver.
I'm sure you can have that without the unnecessary applications.
Of course you CAN have it... but all those other applications are natural corollaries of ANY research in the field. I'm dure your point is not "abandon all research towards this goal because there might be some unnecessary applications" - and to not have those pursued, you'd have to live in a communist state.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Mikey wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Mikey wrote:So should I abandon hope of a possible better way to control a life-shortening illness, or avoid disabling effects, because I can get an iPhone instead?

I understand your point, Blackstar, but as Rochey and I both pointed out there are beneficial applications far beyond the simple popularly-marketable ones. A continuous, real-time blood (or lymphatic, etc.) monitor that could communicate on its own with a physician's office/database would be very literally a lifesaver.
I'm sure you can have that without the unnecessary applications.
Of course you CAN have it... but all those other applications are natural corollaries of ANY research in the field. I'm dure your point is not "abandon all research towards this goal because there might be some unnecessary applications" - and to not have those pursued, you'd have to live in a communist state.
of coarse not. I'm just saying that having a phone in your arm for no medical related reason, is stupid.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Look at it this way, Chakat: You won't have to worry about driving and talking on the cell phone at the same time. And although I'm aware that that is what Bluetooth devices are for, at least this way, you can go around and not look like you're talking to yourself, just your arm and your arm talks back. I know this from first hand experience, I have a Bluetooth for my phone and it is part of Radio Shack's mandatory dress code (no I'm not kidding). Even if you don't have a cell phone, you have to wear a Bluetooth "dummy" on your ear. Why, you ask? Because it generates questions from customers, "hey, what's that on your ear".
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

mwhittington wrote:Look at it this way, Chakat: You won't have to worry about driving and talking on the cell phone at the same time. And although I'm aware that that is what Bluetooth devices are for, at least this way, you can go around and not look like you're talking to yourself, just your arm and your arm talks back. I know this from first hand experience, I have a Bluetooth for my phone and it is part of Radio Shack's mandatory dress code (no I'm not kidding). Even if you don't have a cell phone, you have to wear a Bluetooth "dummy" on your ear. Why, you ask? Because it generates questions from customers, "hey, what's that on your ear".
For the driving and talking thing, I think they have kits for that. And I don't see what the other problem is.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Blackstar, I'll point out again that it's not the phone I'm interested in. It's the technology and the millions of different possibilities for this technology that I'm interested in. This tech has millions of possible benefits in all sorts of different ways.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Other then medical purposes, what other use is there for this technology?
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:Other then medical purposes, what other use is there for this technology?
erm...Police? Immediate patrol details?
Ambulance? Counts as medical but hey.
Administration? Meetings such on demand
Banking? Access personal accounts?

Shots in the dark cause i canna be arsed to read the full article.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Reliant121 wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:Other then medical purposes, what other use is there for this technology?
erm...Police? Immediate patrol details?
Ambulance? Counts as medical but hey.
Administration? Meetings such on demand
Banking? Access personal accounts?

Shots in the dark cause i canna be arsed to read the full article.
Phones do the same thing without implanting technology under your skin. And it's easier to show stuff on it to someone else, or lend it to someone. Now I admit the medical applications are useful, but the unnessesary additions are the primary reason for the development of this technology.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Primary? Perhaps. More potentially lucrative? Sure... but that's what drives such research. In other words, without that mass-marketable aspect, the research very likely wouldn't occur at all - and that's a very easy price to pay in order to realize the truly beneficial applications.

If you don't like the idea, there is a very easy way to avoid it - don't get it. That way, the folks who want it; either for medical purposes, "cool" factor, or whatever, can get it, and you don't have to be bothered. Everyone wins. :)
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Other then medical purposes, what other use is there for this technology?
There. You've just listed the most important aspect of this technology.
Also, it's not hard to imagine possible uses for this stuff, and uses for technology that can be developed with this breakthrough.
Phones do the same thing without implanting technology under your skin. And it's easier to show stuff on it to someone else, or lend it to someone.
True. But it's also possible to have it stolen. It's possible to have someone break the code on it.
Also, there's stuff that phones can't do. Can they monitor your heart rate? Your blood composition? Brain activity? Lymphatic system? Can a phone instantly show any health problems you may have? Can you go to a doctor with a pain in your chest, and have your phone explain the problem to him? Can your phone display to you a possible remedy? Can a phone monitor your blood-alcohol level, and tell you when it's unsafe to drive? No?
This thing can.

Now, let's take another possible aplication of this tech. Let's say you shove a wireless internet connection into it. You now have full access to the world's greatest repository of knowledge, wherever you go.
Sure, a phone could do that to. But you don't have to worry about losing it. You don't have to worry about it getting stolen. You don't have to worry about recharging it. You don't have to worry about paying for a new battery if the old one breaks. Everywhere you go, this thing will always be with you, and you don't have to worry about powering or maintaining it.

Now, let's connect it to that electronic contact-lens I posted a while ago. You now have full visual display for whatever your checking out. And that's a lot different than looking at a screen on a phone. Now, the arm-thing can display warnings, advice, and all sorts of stuff directly to your brain, with no need to worry about you not noticing it.

Now, let's connect both these things to one of those Bluetooth headsets, or maybe something even more advanced and inconspicous than that (some sort of implant in the inner ear, perhaps?). You now have full audio capability, and full privacy for it. You can set it for just the right level of volume so that you and you alone can hear the conversation. You now have full audio/visual sensation with this thing, and the ability to access any information wherever you go.

What other advances could enhance this? Well, how about a sub-vocalising device? This would allow you to talk to whoever's one the other end of the phone, without it appearing that your talking at all. This thing alone would be invaluable in security and bodyguard agencies. In civillian aplications, it means you can have phone conversations without anyone even realising it. No more being interupted by someone's phone ringing in the movies; you won't even notice that everyone around you is talking to someone else. And there's no fear of being overheard. Perfect privacy.
Also, if we could get the device to recognise voice commands, that opens up a whole new bunch of possibilities. You could simply say (or rather, not say) "Go to Wikipedia. Search for Operation Overlord." and you get full visual and audio input about what you're searching for. This is, in effect, the next best thing to a full neural link-up.

Now, suppose we find a way to stimulate the nervous system with similar technology. You now have full tactile awareness. Imagine the possibilities of that!

You've just made computers a thing of the past. You don't even need a keyboard; the thing in your arm can act as a keyboard.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

I'm not saying it doesn't have medical possibilities.

Now what you're suggesting is basically putting a computer into a human being. Now, this is just all kinds of stupid. How do you upgrade it? Increase memory, upgrade the CPU, get a faster Internet connection? And what about repairs? If I get tackled or trip and fall hard, how much is going to cost to repair damaged components? I don't want to go to the hospital every time I get a deep cut.

Here's a scenario: You catch the football, guy tackles you, cut your arm on a broken beer bottle that you didn't see on the ground, you cut your arm and you have to replace this piece of equipment. I'm guessing removal and replacement isn't as easy as throwing out and buying a new phone.

You are idealizing something that will never be practical and should never be put into wide scale use.

Not counting the obvious medical applications of coarse.
Perfect privacy
Don't act so naive. There is no such thing. Once you create a better security system, criminals become better hackers. Basically they'll hack your body. I don't know about you but I don't like the sound of that.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

If the technology is available to do it in the first place, then the technology will exist to repair/upgrade it.

Practicality has never been a concern for marketability, or the advent of widespread usage. And how do you develop it for medical purposes, but not offer it for public consumption to those that want it? As I've said, and you've not responded to, that's the driving force behind the development of these types of technologies, even if there are more worthwhile applications.

And once again - when and if this becomes available: if you don't want it, don't get it. Nobody has the right to make that decision for me, however. Simply saying that it's "stupid" is merely an iteration of "I don't have a cogent reason for decrying it."
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Mikey wrote:And once again - when and if this becomes available: if you don't want it, don't get it. Nobody has the right to make that decision for me, however. Simply saying that it's "stupid" is merely an iteration of "I don't have a cogent reason for decrying it."
Are you even reading my posts anymore? I've stated my reasoning, but you people are ignoring it.

Other then the medical crap, what can this stuff do that a cell phone can't? This stuff is the SUV equivilent of cell phone technology, it's not useful, it's a giant waste of money and other then the medical crap which could be applied seperatly, I haven't heard one useful thing about this stuff that you can't already do with a cell phone.