Intrepid Class

Voyager
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Captain Seafort wrote: Yes they do.
I beg you to never bring up that video again. A lot of the scenes are either alien vessels or the Defiant. I hate spliced videos like that. And they're always made by guys who support Star Wars in the Star Trek vs. Star Wars debate.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Admittedly it was produced to ram down the throats of the brain-dead "Trek nevers misses" brigade, rather than the far more reasonable debaters here, but it's useful as a quick-reference demonstration of the number of times Trek ships can't shoot straight, and in this case the usefulness of presenting a smaller target.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

True, it was made by someone in the VS community, but its still true. And there are more than just Defiant and alien ships in there.

00:36) A group of Federation fighters fires at offscreen Klingon fighters. True, we don't know for sure, but the camera pans round and no explosion or debris is visible. And who the hell let that guy be a pilot! :lol:
00:44) Did the Defiants gunner go blind for a moment? :?
00:45) Fed torpedo launchers on DS9 firing and missing.
01:07) How the hell do you miss something as big as a cube?
01:15) An Oberth (I think) fires at, and misses, a shuttle that isn't even maneuvering!
01:20) Watch the background and you can see what looks like a Galaxy missing.
01:30) More fun with Fed torpedos and you can clearly see phasers missing rather badly.
01:42) What the hell was the Defiant firing at?
01:50) Possibly the Defiants phaser missing.

So, a fair few misses in there.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Plus, the fact that most of the misses were non-Fed ships should be encouragement to reduce ship size, and thus target profile - those are potential opponents who can't shoot straight, and so anything to make their job more difficult is to be pursued.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I found it particularly amusing that the klingons describe a barely moving satalite "most difficult" to hit. :lol:

But yes, this shows the use of having a smaller profile, plus it increases maneuverability, which always helps.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Think that's because he used manual fire on it?
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Well O'Brian is always complaining about DS9 using Cardassian, Bajoran and Federation technology. There may have been some bugs or compatibility issues the first time they used them.(The Klingon attack) They even said there was no time to test it.

That was a Nebula firing(oberths are the small wierd shaped ones. Like the Grissom in STIII)

And I think the Defient's gunner is the same one from Spaceballs. There is no way anyone's aim should be that bad.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Think that's because he used manual fire on it?
Perhaps, but I would in no way call that difficult. It was, at best, a few dozen meters away and barely moving. He shouldn't have missed at all.
Well O'Brian is always complaining about DS9 using Cardassian, Bajoran and Federation technology. There may have been some bugs or compatibility issues the first time they used them.(The Klingon attack) They even said there was no time to test it.
Possible. But how hard would it be to link up some proper targetting? We've see plenty of times that Trek tech is pretty interchangable.
That was a Nebula firing(oberths are the small wierd shaped ones. Like the Grissom in STIII)
Ah, right.
And I think the Defient's gunner is the same one from Spaceballs. There is no way anyone's aim should be that bad.
:lol:
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:[
Possible. But how hard would it be to link up some proper targetting? We've see plenty of times that Trek tech is pretty interchangable.
Ya, but imagine trying to take a British sub, equip it with a russian targiting and sensor setup, and use a US weapons system. That's roughly what O'Brian had to do. And there are always bugs in new systems. I've done some basic programming myself and even a simple program can go heywire if there's a minor glitch. That's why systems are usually tested, like in a shakedown cruise so that they can be fixed.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

In that case I'll defer to your superior computer knowledge.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Rochey wrote:In that case I'll defer to your superior computer knowledge.
I'm not that good. It took me two weeks on Visual Basic to get the computer to play tic tack toe and even then it was placing its markers at random. And with some programs even the smallest mistake, like putting a comma in the wrong place, could send the program into a loop that would eventually make the computer crash.( I held the class record for doing that) And the only thing I really remember from that class is how to convert normal numbers into binary.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Well in that clip it seemed to be Non Federation Targets missinf Federation ships. The Feds seem to do a better job. And when we do miss its the Defiant with those god awful canons and DS9.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm not that good. It took me two weeks on Visual Basic to get the computer to play tic tack toe and even then it was placing its markers at random.
You already have me beat. I don't even know how to play tic-tack-toe. :)
And with some programs even the smallest mistake, like putting a comma in the wrong place, could send the program into a loop that would eventually make the computer crash.( I held the class record for doing that) And the only thing I really remember from that class is how to convert normal numbers into binary.
At least you can do that. I needed my dad to help me install an anti-virus system. :lol:
Well in that clip it seemed to be Non Federation Targets missinf Federation ships. The Feds seem to do a better job. And when we do miss its the Defiant with those god awful canons and DS9.
*ahem, points at previous post*
I wrote:00:36) A group of Federation fighters fires at offscreen Klingon fighters. True, we don't know for sure, but the camera pans round and no explosion or debris is visible. And who the hell let that guy be a pilot!
00:44) Did the Defiants gunner go blind for a moment?
00:45) Fed torpedo launchers on DS9 firing and missing.
01:07) How the hell do you miss something as big as a cube?
01:15) An Oberth (I think) fires at, and misses, a shuttle that isn't even maneuvering!
01:20) Watch the background and you can see what looks like a Galaxy missing.
01:30) More fun with Fed torpedos and you can clearly see phasers missing rather badly.
01:42) What the hell was the Defiant firing at?
01:50) Possibly the Defiants phaser missing.
How the hell did we even get into this anyway. :?
Nothing on this site ever seems to stay on topic...
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Tick tack toe is noughts and crosses, I think?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Yes it is. Which of course has great relevance to the abilities of the Intrepid-class starship... :lol:

I guess inquisitive minds go on tangents...
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer