What have ships done without warp cores?

Voyager
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

I agree it's preferrable to the end of your civilization. I just think casually tossing it on warships and chancing that Romulans, Borg or whoever else will steal it isn't worth the risk.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'd say at this point, a dedicated "Anti-Borg task force" would be well warranted.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Well it comes about naturally in anywhere from 5 to 20 years so we're gonna see it sooner or latter.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I'd say at this point, a dedicated "Anti-Borg task force" would be well warranted.
I agree. I think a core of ships or weapon systems should be ready to launch at a moment's notice, but until that time, those ships or weapon systems should be sealed up inside a spacedock or something, completely classified, and need to know basis. If you brief all your engineers on the new technology then the first ship that gets assimilated will have knowledge of how to construct the systems, how they work, and how to adapt to them.

It's also, just like in Stargate vs. the Replicators, probably important to try to wipe out a Borg attack all at one time if possible. So that they do not have time to observe and adapt so that the next ship in the line can tweak its shields or make an adaptation.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The truely smart thing for the Borg to do would be to bum rush one of the lesser Federation worlds like Betazed assimalate that then move on. I doubt the Federation has the power to take a Borg planet on.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Teaos wrote:The truely smart thing for the Borg to do would be to bum rush one of the lesser Federation worlds like Betazed assimalate that then move on. I doubt the Federation has the power to take a Borg planet on.

Totally true. The best guess we can make is that the Borg are otherwise occupied, have enough fighting to do closer to home, or that the assimilation of the Federation simply isn't a huge enough priority for them to go out of their way and rush with a massive force to do it. Probably all of the above to some degree. To some degree the Borg as a whole act like the individual drones--- ignore you until you make yourself a target for some reason. (Fancy shiny technology, or making yourself a threat.)
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I've said many times that the Borg arent hell bent on taking Earth. It just seems like something they are interested and and will have a shot at if they are around.

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Duskofdead wrote:
Tsukiyumi wrote:I'd say at this point, a dedicated "Anti-Borg task force" would be well warranted.
I agree. I think a core of ships or weapon systems should be ready to launch at a moment's notice, but until that time, those ships or weapon systems should be sealed up inside a spacedock or something, completely classified, and need to know basis. If you brief all your engineers on the new technology then the first ship that gets assimilated will have knowledge of how to construct the systems, how they work, and how to adapt to them.

It's also, just like in Stargate vs. the Replicators, probably important to try to wipe out a Borg attack all at one time if possible. So that they do not have time to observe and adapt so that the next ship in the line can tweak its shields or make an adaptation.
That sounds about right.

"Initiate protocol Borg-Alpha"

*dozens of massively-armed cloak-firing warships emerge from cloaked spacedocks, obliterate the cube and return unnoticed...*
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

And the legend of the ghost fleet is born.

Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Teaos wrote:I've said many times that the Borg arent hell bent on taking Earth. It just seems like something they are interested and and will have a shot at if they are around.
Yup my take on it is that hey if a cube is around the neighborhood anyway, it'll try. But the fact that only one ship at a time has gone after the Federation, whereas Guinan described the assimilation of her planet as "swarming through our system", shows that the Federation isn't exactly on a top 10 list of priorities.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

That sounds about right.

"Initiate protocol Borg-Alpha"

*dozens of massively-armed cloak-firing warships emerge from cloaked spacedocks, obliterate the cube and return unnoticed...*
Hooray!

Or, cloaked self-replicating ODP's in orbit around the core systems armed with ablative armor generators and transphasic torpedoes, programmed for simultaneous destruction of enemy targets. :D
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Rochey loves you right now Dusk.

Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

When it comes to defense I'm sure we'd like to see some of the same things. I just think in the case of the Federation that the best offense is a good defense, rather than the best defense is a good offense.

In other words no "Hi, we come in peace, please don't mind our 32 quantum torpedo launchers and deluxe triple fire phaser pulse cannons, those are for peaceful defensive purposes".... more like "Hi we're peaceful but if you attack us you'll be blown up by something you couldn't detect coming and your shields couldn't stop."
Last edited by Duskofdead on Sat May 17, 2008 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Teaos wrote:With the Federation getting along with everyone that counts. The Klingons, Romulans, Cardassian, anyone think that the next 50 years is gonna be a really boring.

Ah well. Anyway A lot of the Galaxy still isn't explored, and there is always other galaxies, fluidic space, other universes, alternate timelines and more time travel BS than you can shake a stick at. I'm sure they could keep busy if they felt like it.

But could they do it without a warp core? :wink:
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

A new species isnt quite so threatining. We know there are none close by so they would have to be deep in the Alpha or Beta quadrants.

And dont you DARE try to get us back on topic :twisted: