Why did they wait?

Deep Space Nine
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Why did they wait?

Post by Mikey »

They'd naturally have to paint the buggies red... to go faster.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Mikey wrote:They'd naturally have to paint the buggies red... to go faster.
Explains the redshirts... they bleed out faster.
Coalition wrote:snip
Why would you have to rebuild a whole ship after one use??? The Intrepid class can land and all you need is a ramp on the back of the ship for vehicles to travel down. That or just attach a container with the vehicles in them to the bottom of the ship. Ship lands, drops containers, deploys personnel and then you good to go.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Silly idea I know, but why not have a specially designed Saucer section as a landing craft? The Enterprise D managed to crash land with nary a casualty. Could a similiar shaped Saucer section make a controlled but speedy landing, and then take off again? It'd need to be stronger strucually I guess, and maybe beefier impulse engines to allow it to take off and acheive orbit again.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Detaching ship parts means having to have a ship on station to pick it up later. You're better off with just having a ship designed or refitted to serve the same process.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

kostmayer wrote:Silly idea I know, but why not have a specially designed Saucer section as a landing craft? The Enterprise D managed to crash land with nary a casualty. Could a similiar shaped Saucer section make a controlled but speedy landing, and then take off again? It'd need to be stronger strucually I guess, and maybe beefier impulse engines to allow it to take off and acheive orbit again.
Not a chance. The E-D got down without loosing anyone, but they got tossed around like they were in a washing machine, and she got seriously smashed up in the process. The Intrepid exists, is designed to land and recover, and is plenty big enough for the purpose.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
kostmayer wrote:Silly idea I know, but why not have a specially designed Saucer section as a landing craft? The Enterprise D managed to crash land with nary a casualty. Could a similiar shaped Saucer section make a controlled but speedy landing, and then take off again? It'd need to be stronger strucually I guess, and maybe beefier impulse engines to allow it to take off and acheive orbit again.
Not a chance. The E-D got down without loosing anyone, but they got tossed around like they were in a washing machine, and she got seriously smashed up in the process. The Intrepid exists, is designed to land and recover, and is plenty big enough for the purpose.
Just because it happened in that instance doesn't mean it CAN'T land well. Not to rehash an old debate, but if the saucer was redesigned (and/or a trained pilot ;)) to land smother, it could work.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Just because it happened in that instance doesn't mean it CAN'T land well. Not to rehash an old debate, but if the saucer was redesigned (and/or a trained pilot ;)) to land smother, it could work.
I'm sure it could land better than the E-D did, but it simply isn't designed as an orbit-surface-orbit ship. You'd need, at the very least, a big set of legs a la Intrepid, which there's no evidence of, and would involve gutting and rebuilding the thing to install. It would be a complete waste when you've already got a viable lander.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Friend of mine had a good idea once; a Nebula class pod that was basically a big flying wing designed to carry a load of troops and cargo. Capable of making one atmospheric entry and landing, whereupon it acts as a ready made base for the troops. Kind of a neat concept.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I like the idea of having such a pre-fab position to drop when you need to establish a beachhead, but it sort of limits its applications. What about when you're trying to assault an mobile or fortified enemy rather than establish a static presence? What about when you need to extract those troops en masse the way you landed them?
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I suppose you could have a more expensive version capable of lifting off again. She was more concerned with a "raid the beaches" sort of mission.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

A "she" who thinks of such things?! You might want to consider putting a ring on it, GK. ;)
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I always had a crack idea of refitting a Nebula to land on a planet and become a fortress there. Maybe because of the way the nacelles are positioned. :lol:
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:A "she" who thinks of such things?! You might want to consider putting a ring on it, GK. ;)
The thought crossed my mind, especially as she's quite the babe, and a big fan of me / the site.

Alas, she's already taken.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

They always are, aren't they?
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Only the good ones. :bangwall: