Intrepid Class

Voyager
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

waste of space on a warship
Starfleet doesn't build Warships. Well Defiant and Promethius are and they are stripped down.

They have never had a need to do anything like powering up their ships up until the Dominion war when they did start to focus on military power more.

Starfleet is shown to have superior training and tactics to just about any other power in trek. So maybe keeping the crews which keep them at Number one happy is a rather good idea.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Starfleet does build warships - look at the fleet actions in DS9. Galaxys, Akiras, Excelsiors, Mirandas. They're not there because they were attacked on an exploration mission - they're being deployed as the main force in a war. They're badly designed warships, but they're warships nonetheless.

The argument that "they didn't need proper warships" doesn't wash. The fact that they've been able to survive despite their poor designs does not make those designs any better.

I'd say that the Jem'Hadar have generally demonstrated better ground combat tactics than the Feds. Discounting their stupidity at AR-558, they've demonstrated mortar fire ("The Ship"), camoflage and concealment (their shrouds), decently designed weapons, at least some tactical awareness (keeping their weapons up and looking around while boarding DS9 in "A Call To Arms") and managed to capture the Defiant several times (only to be told by the Founders to give it back, or loose it through Alpha overconfidence).
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Cpl Kendall wrote:Actually modern day body armour deployed by both the US and Canadian Forces will stop a 7.62mm round fired by an AK-47 at point blank range.
I never realised armour was that good.

Okay, WWII era armour then, I'm sure they couldn't take a point blank shot.
Teaos wrote:What wasted space? If your refering to the large quarters I have no problem with them in peace time as Starfleet likes to keep its crew comfortable and happy. They aren't Russian subs were people hot bunk to save space. If you have the ability to make the ship more comfrotable with out harming its worth then you may as well.
Except it gives the ship more mass, thus making it slower and giving it a larger target profile for no advantage. You could easily get rid of half the space on board and everyone would still have their own cabins.
But ships in general did seem to get upgraded.
Only in minor ways. Did they get rid of all the pointless features? Nope, they still kept them.
You cant just wave a wand and make that happen it takes time and resourses.
No, you can't. What you do is you stop building the inferior ships and start replacing the old ships with new warships. Its what all militaries do when they need to phase something out.
Starfleet doesn't build Warships.
Really? Then where did they get all those ships for the Dominion war? If its designed for combat, which most Fed ships are, then it counts as a warship.
They have never had a need to do anything like powering up their ships up until the Dominion war when they did start to focus on military power more.
Yet they still had all those useless features on their ships.
Starfleet is shown to have superior training and tactics to just about any other power in trek. So maybe keeping the crews which keep them at Number one happy is a rather good idea.
Not when its at the expense of efeciency or survivability.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Except it gives the ship more mass, thus making it slower and giving it a larger target profile for no advantage. You could easily get rid of half the space on board and everyone would still have their own cabins.
There is no evidence bigger means slower. Infact bigger usually means faster.
Only in minor ways. Did they get rid of all the pointless features? Nope, they still kept them.
We have no idea what they did and didnt do. And maybe it was a choice. You either build more ships of the effective battle type ie Akira. Or recal existing ships strip them down and rebuild... Seems easier to build new ones.
No, you can't. What you do is you stop building the inferior ships and start replacing the old ships with new warships. Its what all militaries do when they need to phase something out.
I was under the impression that is what they did. Started build Defiants and other Combat vessels more than Novas.
How does it cost Survivability? It makes it a bit bigger target thats about it. But then Trek ships never seem to have a problem hitting a Target in the latter years regardless of size.

I'd also think it would improve efeciency having a happy crew.

And did we ever see what type of quarters the lower ranks had on the Enterpirse or Voyager? The ones we see are for Officers who even in our military have comparitivly large quarters.

Th fact is in space size isnt the issue it is here on a planet. For only a bit more basic resoures (Making a room bigger doesnt take anything but material) you can improve the comfort of a ship by a lot. Not really a big waste unless you are in a situation were you need every last bit. And the federation is almost never in that situation and when it is it does addapt to it.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Actually you are right. What I should have said is that they are less maneuverable.
And it still has a larger target profile, which is stupid for any warship.
We have no idea what they did and didnt do. And maybe it was a choice. You either build more ships of the effective battle type ie Akira. Or recal existing ships strip them down and rebuild... Seems easier to build new ones.
Were the new Galaxy class ships smaller? Nope. Was the Sovereign lacking in these features? Again, nope. You're right that we haven't seen the inside of all Fed ships, but their mindset dosn't apear to have changed.
I was under the impression that is what they did. Started build Defiants and other Combat vessels more than Novas.
I also think thats what they did.
Er, why were we disagreeing on this point again? :?
But then Trek ships never seem to have a problem hitting a Target in the latter years regardless of size.
Guided missiles rarely miss nowadays. Does that mean we should be unconcerend about size? Yes, Trek ships do seem to have good acuracy, but we've seen torpedos (the most potent weapons they have) miss on a lot of ocasions. Having a smaller ship makes it more difficult to hit.
How does it cost Survivability? It makes it a bit bigger target thats about it.
As I said, bigger is not better in all respects.
Also, the shields will have to cover a larger area, possibly making them weaker than they could be.
I'd also think it would improve efeciency having a happy crew.
Indeed, a happy crew is an efecient crew.
However, you don't need to give every crewman a king sized bedroom to keep them happy. Modern navies keep their crews efecient without such uneeded luxuries.
And did we ever see what type of quarters the lower ranks had on the Enterpirse or Voyager? The ones we see are for Officers who even in our military have comparitivly large quarters.
I don't recall seing anyone under the rank of ensign aside from O'Brien. And his quarters seemed large enough.
And I seriously doubt lieutenants quarters come with a living room on modern ships.
For only a bit more basic resoures (Making a room bigger doesnt take anything but material) you can improve the comfort of a ship by a lot.
Making one room bigger dosen't take much. But making the whole ship bigger would take a lot. And its also a criminal waste of resources. You don't join the military to be comfy!
Not really a big waste unless you are in a situation were you need every last bit. And the federation is almost never in that situation and when it is it does addapt to it.
For this to work you'd need to know in advance if someone was about to attack you. If you are attacked by surprise then you may not have the time to adapt. Simply having your military designed in a smart way would prevent needless losses.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:
Acceleration = Force/mass. Keep the force (ie power generation) the same while increasing the size, and therefore the mass of your ship and you reduce the acceleration.
How does it cost Survivability? It makes it a bit bigger target thats about it. But then Trek ships never seem to have a problem hitting a Target in the latter years regardless of size.
Yes they do.
We saw junior ranks quarters in "Lower Decks" - they're the same as senior officer's quarters except that they share two to a room. We also know that this problem is a 24th century one - in Kirk's day, when they could "clean [the Klingons'] chronometers" "even an Admiral didn't such quarters (as standard a Galaxy guest cabin) on a starship".
Th fact is in space size isnt the issue it is here on a planet. For only a bit more basic resoures (Making a room bigger doesnt take anything but material) you can improve the comfort of a ship by a lot. Not really a big waste unless you are in a situation were you need every last bit. And the federation is almost never in that situation and when it is it does addapt to it.
There's extra crew comfort and there's five-star hotel accommodation - the 24th century Feds are the latter. The extra mass will reduce the ship's acceleration, and the extra volume will make it a bigger target, all for the unnecessary aim of making every ship a gin palace.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Acceleration = Force/mass. Keep the force (ie power generation) the same while increasing the size, and therefore the mass of your ship and you reduce the acceleration.
Your thinking in terms of modern day propolsion. Impulse drive works by essentially making the whole ship a lot lighter. By reducing mass the innertial of the ship makes it go faster. Weight doesnt matter at all. Weight wouldn't effect Warp either as it is a space distortion and not a "Thrust"
Were the new Galaxy class ships smaller? Nope. Was the Sovereign lacking in these features? Again, nope. You're right that we haven't seen the inside of all Fed ships, but their mindset dosn't apear to have changed.
They really had no option but to build a few Galaxy class ships during the war. Sure the Akiras and stuff do a fine job but every fleet needs some big guns and the Galaxy has them. I know this was in a Trek mag and so not Canon but the ships that were built were bear bones ones. They didnt have anything fancy in them but just a lot of empty space. That was becuase it was easier build a stripped down design with big guns than deisgning a new class in the middle of a war.
As I said, bigger is not better in all respects.
Also, the shields will have to cover a larger area, possibly making them weaker than they could be.
Thats a good point.

The rest seems to come down to personal opinon of crew comfort and the use of resoures. I think the quarters could be a BIT smaller but I really have no porblem with them. I think the benifits out way the costs for an organisation that tries to avoid conflict when ever it can.[/quote]

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Don't forget we've seen that smaller ships are more maneuverable than large ones.
Sure the Akiras and stuff do a fine job but every fleet needs some big guns and the Galaxy has them.
They could have more if they were properly designed.
*snip* but the ships that were built were bear bones ones. They didnt have anything fancy in them but just a lot of empty space.
If thats true then my opinion of Starfleet went up slightly.
That was becuase it was easier build a stripped down design with big guns than deisgning a new class in the middle of a war.
Why not just scrap the class during the war? The weapons mounted on the Galaxy could likely be mounted on a smaller vessel if they gutted the insides. That would be a much smarter idea as you're not wasting materials building hull space that covers nothing.
The rest seems to come down to personal opinon of crew comfort and the use of resoures. I think the quarters could be a BIT smaller but I really have no porblem with them.
I would have less problem with the rooms if they were on dedicated civilian ships. Having such huge areas on a military vessel is plain wastefull and counter productive.
As I said before, the modern militaries are hardly in the lap of luxury, yet morale is still kept up.
I think the benifits out way the costs for an organisation that tries to avoid conflict when ever it can.
All governments try to avoid conflict where ever they can, Chamberlains' Britain went to great lengths to avoid war with the Nazis. Would you not agree that it would have been stupid for WWII Britain or any modern day country to make a Trek style military?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Rochey wrote:
*snip* but the ships that were built were bear bones ones. They didnt have anything fancy in them but just a lot of empty space.
If thats true then my opinion of Starfleet went up slightly.
If they left out all the luxury stuff, why didn't they pack the space left with auxillary generators and torpedoes? The war-Galaxys didn't seem to be any more powerful than the E-D, with the E-D disabling a Galor with a few shots in "The Wounded" and a couple of war-Galaxys shredding a Galor in a straffing run (with multiple phaser shots in "Sacrifice of Angels".
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Thats why I said "slightly". :wink:
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

Final conclusion:

All species in Star Trek are idiots compared to today, especially with the technology they have at their disposal.
This thus transfers to any (and all) Star Trek "technical" consultants/writers (not the general story writers), are also all idiots.

:wink:
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:
ChakatBlackstar wrote:I think I might have some sort of idea why they don't use armor. Since everybody stopped using bullet based weapons(stated in that episode in DS9 where Ezri chased a serial killer) they would have to use phasers or disrupters right? And at higher settings there isn't much that a reasonable amount of armor could do to stop or even weaken the beam. It's not much but it's the best I can come up with.
Firstly, as Seafort pointed out, phasers seem to be unusually inefective against the average box.
Secondly, you always armour your troops. What about shrapnel? Wounds caused by this could be avoided. What about low powered shots? What about near misses? Modern day armour is unlikely to stop a bullet from an assault rifle, does this mean we should stop armouring our troops?
Hey, I said that it wasn't much. It was the best I could come up with. Maybe there were budget cuts or something. I don't know.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Ironically, the individual most responsible for the "Starfleet isn't military so they only have armed luxury liners instead of warships" stupidity is Gene Roddenberry. It was his dictum that gave the E-D a living room bridge, civvies underfoot, and vast cabins. As a city-ship it would have worked, but the Galaxy class is too small and too vulnerable to be a city ship, so we were left with a mish-mash of the front-line explorer of the old Enterprise and the city-ship Roddenberry wanted. A jack of all trades, master of none.
Thorin
Captain
Captain

Post by Thorin »

The Galaxy was master of them all in its day. It was the fastest and most powerful .

Though in a way I do agree with you, because while it was the best, and it was powerful, you can just imagine what it would be like if it was actually aimed to be not just the best of everything, but the very, very best in speed and power, getting rid of all the needless things.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Thorin wrote:Final conclusion:

All species in Star Trek are idiots compared to today, especially with the technology they have at their disposal.
This thus transfers to any (and all) Star Trek "technical" consultants/writers (not the general story writers), are also all idiots.
I agree completely.
Chakat wrote:Hey, I said that it wasn't much. It was the best I could come up with.
Actuall, its not that bad an argument. If you take the dialogue at face value it could be a fair explaination. The only problem is that the characters don't seem to know what their own weapons can do. :roll:
Seafort wrote: A jack of all trades, master of none.
A perfect description of Starfleets designs.
Thorin again wrote:Though in a way I do agree with you, because while it was the best, and it was powerful, you can just imagine what it would be like if it was actually aimed to be not just the best of everything, but the very, very best in speed and power, getting rid of all the needless things.
Indeed. They could probably fit all that equipment into a ship half the size if they got rid of all the crap.