The Ranting Thread

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: The Ranting Thread

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

McAvoy wrote:Like in all things, it's usually more fun to play (especially if you know how to) than watch.
Yeah, pretty much.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Like in all things, it's usually more fun to play (especially if you know how to) than watch.
Yeah, pretty much.
I'd make an exception for boxing or muay thai.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:I'd make an exception for boxing or muay thai.
I'll agree on boxing. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Yeah, MMA and boxing... for me, more fun to watch than participate in. :happydevil:
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Mikey wrote:
Jim wrote:s there a more boring sport to watch?
1. Curling.

2. Test cricket. At least with baseball - even AL baseball - one can be reasonably certain that you won't have to miss more than one meal in order to continue watching.

Certainly there is a lot of down time in baseball, and the ridiculousness of shaking off a catcher for 5 minutes - or stepping out of the box to grab your crotch for 30 seconds between every pitch - can get annoying. But when the winning run is on second, there's two outs, and the batter is down 1-2, that few seconds in which the pitcher is trying to decide to climb the ladder with some cheese or go to some heavy junk serves to build dramatic tension rather than detract from the game.

*EDIT* BTW, Jim - did you know that Pittsburgh once had one of the most dynamic home-run duos in all of baseball? Toward the end of his career, Detroit sent Hank Greenberg to Pittsburgh, where he played with a young slugger coming up by the name of Kiner - Ralph Kiner, whose HR to at-bat ratio wasn't exceeded until McGwire.
I actually worked at Three Rivers Stadium in 1991 and 1992 (job while in highschool). There were some good players on the team at that time. First place for like a year or something. However, I didn't like baseball before that job, but I really hated it after, lol.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

You know what I really really hate is that one person in your workplace or educational facility that's REALLY anal about the most pathetic things. I parked for a maybe 2 minutes in the staff bike park this morning, simply because the classroom that I was dropping coursework off at was right in front of it and the site manager already filed a ban request on my numberplate. Fortunately someone has a modicum of common sense and I've been cleared of it but it just seems so pathetic, especially since there are a maximum of two staff who park motorcycles there, and neither were there at the time.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Reliant121 wrote:You know what I really really hate is that one person in your workplace or educational facility that's REALLY anal about the most pathetic things. I parked for a maybe 2 minutes in the staff bike park this morning, simply because the classroom that I was dropping coursework off at was right in front of it and the site manager already filed a ban request on my numberplate. Fortunately someone has a modicum of common sense and I've been cleared of it but it just seems so pathetic, especially since there are a maximum of two staff who park motorcycles there, and neither were there at the time.
Yeah... that's a bit anal. Not like it was handicapped or something like that.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Hmm. Motorcycle-specific parking is fairly rare over here... are there enough staff at that particular location who ride that screwing with you for taking up one space for five minutes was even remotely warranted?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

Jim wrote:Is there a more boring sport to watch?
Basketball
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Royal_Foxx wrote:
Basketball
Thank you.

*high five*
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Royal_Foxx wrote:
Basketball
Thank you.

*high five*
*high five back*
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

A new law here in PA is that cars have to give bicycles a 4 foot cushon when passing the bike... but it is legal for a bike to pass a car at 4 inches between the car and curb at red lights etc. It is also legal for a bike to ride the dotted line between cars at lights etc. but cars need to give 4 feet... So, technically, a car can pull up to a light, stop, a bike can ride up next to the car just as the light turns green, the car starts to move... BINGO... ticket to the driver.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Jim wrote:A new law here in PA is that cars have to give bicycles a 4 foot cushon when passing the bike...
So which do they want you to do? Keep an enormous queue of cars travelling at the speed of the bike or play chicken with oncoming traffic at a closing speed of 50-60mph?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Wow, that's a crappy law. I understand it's probably because of a lot of bicycle accidents relating to drivers wanting all of the road, but still, that's a little overboard.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Mikey wrote:Hmm. Motorcycle-specific parking is fairly rare over here... are there enough staff at that particular location who ride that screwing with you for taking up one space for five minutes was even remotely warranted?
The bike park in question has space enough for at least 8 motorbikes; that taken as if every single one of those motorbikes was a full size fire breathing Harley. Not my little Honda and the two Sports bikes that usually park there.

Short answer; plenty of room.