Everything you always wanted to know about 'The Doctor'

Voyager
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Everything you always wanted to know about 'The Doctor'

Post by stitch626 »

And with good writers at the helm, such could have made one of the best episodes of Trek.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

kostmayer wrote:.
Tyyr wrote:Such a pity they heaved Kes overboard and kept him. Having her really deal with aging could have made for some interesting character development.
It would have been rather poignant if she'd died of old age just before they managed to get back to Earth.
Why then? Earth meant about as much to Kes as a gas station in Albuquerque means to me.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Because season 7 of Voyager would have been the end of the road for her in terms of age.

I think you underestimate the importance. Yes, Earth doesn't mean anything by itself to Kes. It does mean a lot to the people she's around however. She's also been in the middle of it with them for seven years trying to get back to Earth with them. While it probably meant nothing to her when she first came aboard it probably would have been a significant goal by season 7.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'm not saying she'd be unsympathetic, or even disinterested. I'm saying that coming short of the "goal" of Earth wouldn't add any personal drama to her insular story.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It could have. Maybe Earth - or what she imagined Earth was - could have meant quite a lot to her. Unfortunately the writers never really explored her character's long term ambitions and beliefs all that much.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Sionnach Glic wrote:It could have. Maybe Earth - or what she imagined Earth was - could have meant quite a lot to her. Unfortunately the writers never really explored her character's long term ambitions and beliefs all that much.
The character(s) had long term ambitions and beliefs?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Hoping to see the homes and meeting the families of those she'd come to think of as family herself? Maybe have her squeeze out a playmate for Naomi Wildmen in Season 3 or 4. Have a vested interest in GETTING to Earth. Or maybe find out that they can technobabble her an extended lifespan if they can JUST get to Earth on time......and fall short for once. Dark days for the Voyager crew.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
thelordharry
Captain
Captain

Post by thelordharry »

Did The Doctor also serve as The Dentist as well? :)

Actually, do people brush their teeth in the 24th century or does the sonic shower take care of that too?
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and
the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to
know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is
to have succeeded.”
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

thelordharry wrote:Did The Doctor also serve as The Dentist as well? :)

Actually, do people brush their teeth in the 24th century or does the sonic shower take care of that too?
...that sounds pretty gross actually. Imagine it, your in the sonic shower, and everything on your teeth shakes off and pools in your mouth with your salavia. You'd spit it out and what, it would dissapate into the air? You'd be breathing in your teeth gunk.

Actually, that makes me wonder, just how do sonic showers work? If all they do is shake stuff off you, then all your filth is going to be floating in the air or ending up forming layers on the shower walls. Is there some kind of suction or transporter or replicator system in there to collect the stuff? I would imagine there must be, but who knows.
Praeothmin
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Praeothmin »

Lighthawk wrote:
thelordharry wrote:Did The Doctor also serve as The Dentist as well? :)

...that sounds pretty gross actually. Imagine it, your in the sonic shower, and everything on your teeth shakes off and pools in your mouth with your salavia. You'd spit it out and what, it would dissapate into the air? You'd be breathing in your teeth gunk.

Actually, that makes me wonder, just how do sonic showers work? If all they do is shake stuff off you, then all your filth is going to be floating in the air or ending up forming layers on the shower walls. Is there some kind of suction or transporter or replicator system in there to collect the stuff? I would imagine there must be, but who knows.
Plasma toothpaste, for that tough crust... :mrgreen:
The truth always depends on which side of the fence you're standing... ;)
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

So apparently liquid showers are also better from a functional as well as aesthetic standpoint.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Tyyr wrote:So apparently liquid showers are also better from a functional as well as aesthetic standpoint.
Yeah...I got to say, I've never really liked the idea of the sonic shower. A nice warm water shower is one of those things I consider one of life's little pleasures. I'd hate to give those up.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

For all we know, those sonic waves COULD provide heat and a massage during the process. I'd be more inclined to belive the dirt and grime added to bulk storage for later replicator use.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

However the point he's making is that unlike a shower where the down flow of water carries away the grime a sonic shower seems like it'd vibrate the material off you but have no real mechanism to carry it away. Given that much of this stuff is very small and light depending on gravity alone to draw it down is... poor design.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I'm sure there is a bit more to sonic showers that we're aware of........but your point stands. I'm a STEAMING hot bathtub man, myself