ST:XI Spoiler Thread (READ AT OWN RISK)

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: ST:XI Spoiler Thread (READ AT OWN RISK)

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:
Hopefully Admiral Archer was put in charge of important work, like ensuring each starship receives its correct allotment of potatoes and toilet paper.
Hell, even that's too good for him. Need I remind you of how he couldn't even organise getting the f***ing ship's supplies onboard in the first ep? A man of many talents he is not.
That is the Quartermasters job dude. :wink:
CaptainQuantum
Chief petty officer
Chief petty officer

Post by CaptainQuantum »

thelordharry wrote: I'm curious CaptainQuantum (or 'Q' for short...)

I know you've probably not seen the film enough times to be able to remember every detail but would you say, on any level you could draw any sort of relationship from ENT at all? Maybe not directly, like a character saying "Yes, in 2152 when Captain Archer was commanding the NX01 etc etc" but an open statement that if you wanted to, you could read ENT canon in it? Having said that though, I get the impression that it's all based on a variation of original TOS canon and nothing else...
I am an ENT fan (as you can tell from my screen name) and I didn't notice anything. But I've only seen it once. There was a reference to an Admiral's beagle but I can't recall if it was Archer. Will need to see it again. I was hoping for some sort of subtle ENT reference like a big burn mark on Florida but alas we only see a space shot of the US west coast. And we don't see any Xindi or Denobulans or anything. Before I saw the film I thought the bar brawl could've been in the same Starfleet bar that Archer drinks in on Earth but that wouldn't work because the bar is in Iowa, not SF. I think we can assume that the writers either didn't watch ENT or didn't care enough to include even subtle references. Shame.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

It was Archer's prized beagle yes, it was probably the same Archer we know and hate, sorry Quantum.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

So is the new Constitution-class larger or smaller than the classic one?
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

The engineering hull is definitely shorter than the previous versions, however overall its about the same I think.
Last edited by LaughingCheese on Fri May 08, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Hot linking doesn't work on EAS, you have to save the pic, put it on photobucket, then hotlink it to here.
The world ended

LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Nickswitz wrote:Hot linking doesn't work on EAS, you have to save the pic, put it on photobucket, then hotlink it to here.
Oh ok, will do. Sorry.

EDIT: I think I've finally hit on what was bothering me about the look of the new Enterprise: she would look a LOT better if the nacelle pylons were stretched back like in the refit E-nill.

Other than that I think its awesome. The nacelle pylons are just too far forward. It looks top heavy, like its going to fall over. :? :bangwall:
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

What about a comparison between the Kelvin, new Enterprise, old Enterprise, refit, NX and Miranda-class?
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:What about a comparison between the Kelvin, new Enterprise, old Enterprise, refit, NX and Miranda-class?
Doesn't exist yet. :?

Would be cool though.
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Post by Lazar »

The TMP Enterprise will always be my favorite starship of all sci-fi, bar none, but the Abramsprise did look pretty good in the movie. Also, there were some additional Starfleet ships that were seen briefly in the movie, including one that may have looked vaguely (but not too much) like the Miranda.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

How fitting that post number 1701 is about the new Enterprise: I like the general design, though I wish they enlarged the secondary hull slightly. I'd also sweet back the pylons and bring forward the neck just slightly. Either way, it looked beautiful in the movie.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Remember this isn't the refit yet, the refit may be very similar to the refit design prime.
The world ended

LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Nickswitz wrote:Remember this isn't the refit yet, the refit may be very similar to the refit design prime.
Yes, I was thinking that, it isn't the refit, which is why it was standing straight up instead of swept back.

But still, they could have done SOMETHING to make it look less lumpy and top heavy. Oh well. :cry:
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

But look at the original Enterprise, it wasn't very pretty, it became less bulky and "ugly" after it was refitted, they may be doing something similar to that.
The world ended

LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Nickswitz wrote:But look at the original Enterprise, it wasn't very pretty, it became less bulky and "ugly" after it was refitted, they may be doing something similar to that.
Assuming it is refitted at some point, this IS a totally new continuity here.