Cardassian Ship Technology

Deep Space Nine
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Cardassian Ship Technology

Post by mlsnoopy »

whats the name of the episode, I'll try to wach it, to see what exactly happende. Wich season.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Here you are.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

ikey thanks its easier to just look than to search through 7 seasons.
mlsnoopy
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by mlsnoopy »

I lost a M sorry.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Don't worry. I've been called much worse. :wink:
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Really :mrgreen:

Season 1 "The Battle"

During that last "discussion" with Blackstar, I rewatched that episode, and DAMN, but the writing was BAD! :roll:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Victory is Life »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:If they had the means, coudl they develope a ship as powerful as the Galaxy-class, Vorcha-class, D'drieniex-class? If so, what would it look like and how many could be produced?

This is funny, I just watched 'the wounded' and I literally guffawed when Picard was talking to Gul Macet (I think) of the cruiser that fired on the enterprise at the beginning of the episode when he said ' the alternative is that we keep firing at one another, and in such a contest, you would be at a disadvantage' I was literally like 'yeah!' and this made me realize how stupid the concept of the Cardassian-Federation war and how protracted it supposedly was, considering that most modern era fed ships could easily dispatch with a Galor Class warship. I see the Cardies as being only around because the Federation decided that brute force was 'overkill' to a race such as the cardassians.

But if you want to see a great concept for a Cardassian supercruiser, check out the HUTET CLASS. I think this is a good example of the ship you envision.
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Victory is Life wrote:
SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:If they had the means, coudl they develope a ship as powerful as the Galaxy-class, Vorcha-class, D'drieniex-class? If so, what would it look like and how many could be produced?

This is funny, I just watched 'the wounded' and I literally guffawed when Picard was talking to Gul Macet (I think) of the cruiser that fired on the enterprise at the beginning of the episode when he said ' the alternative is that we keep firing at one another, and in such a contest, you would be at a disadvantage' I was literally like 'yeah!' and this made me realize how stupid the concept of the Cardassian-Federation war and how protracted it supposedly was, considering that most modern era fed ships could easily dispatch with a Galor Class warship. I see the Cardies as being only around because the Federation decided that brute force was 'overkill' to a race such as the cardassians.

But if you want to see a great concept for a Cardassian supercruiser, check out the HUTET CLASS. I think this is a good example of the ship you envision.
The Hutet is awesome.

And, I think the best ship available during the war was the Ambassador, and probably not in large numbers. The Cardies could hold out pretty well against Mirandas and Excelsiors, I think.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

I would think a Galor to be an equal match for an Excelsior class.
"You may win this war, Commander, but I promise you, by the time it's over, you will have lost so many ships, so many lives, that your "victory" will taste as bitter as defeat."
- Female Changeling
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Victory is Life wrote:

Where can I find this Hutet Class?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Victory is Life
Ensign
Ensign

me,myself and I wrote:
Victory is Life wrote:

Where can I find this Hutet Class?
look it up on gugle, or memory alpha.
- Female Changeling
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The Hutet is a nice ship but I don't see the CU being able to produce them in any fair numbers.
I would think a Galor to be an equal match for an Excelsior class.
Depends on the crew and captain. The Galor has that nice big phaser on the bow but lacks the PTLs of the Excelsior. In the end so long as the Excelsior stays at long range they could just peper the Galor with torps. By the time the Galor gets up close enough to use its main phaser it would already have suffered harsh damage. On the other hand, if the Galor was able to get close and stay close then the match becomes much more even. As long as the Galor can keep the Excelsior in its forward firing arc that is.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Victory is Life wrote:This is funny, I just watched 'the wounded' and I literally guffawed when Picard was talking to Gul Macet (I think) of the cruiser that fired on the enterprise at the beginning of the episode when he said ' the alternative is that we keep firing at one another, and in such a contest, you would be at a disadvantage' I was literally like 'yeah!' and this made me realize how stupid the concept of the Cardassian-Federation war and how protracted it supposedly was, considering that most modern era fed ships could easily dispatch with a Galor Class warship. I see the Cardies as being only around because the Federation decided that brute force was 'overkill' to a race such as the cardassians.
Cardie ships may be weak individually, but they're well-built, and up against anything but a Federation battleship (like the GCS or Neb) they'd probably give good account of themselves. I suspect that, overall, the Cardassians got the worst of the space actions during the war, but proved superior to the Feds on the ground. Hence, while the Feds had control of space, they couldn't beat a well equipped Cardassian army - a prerequisite for actually winning the war. Of course, they should have been able to simply flatten any Cardie positions from orbit, but the Federation smacks rather strongly of an entity that would be excessively squemish about orbital bombardment. The result was a stalemate, and both sides surrendering territory at the treaty.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Captain Seafort wrote: Cardie ships may be weak individually, but they're well-built, and up against anything but a Federation battleship (like the GCS or Neb) they'd probably give good account of themselves. I suspect that, overall, the Cardassians got the worst of the space actions during the war, but proved superior to the Feds on the ground. Hence, while the Feds had control of space, they couldn't beat a well equipped Cardassian army - a prerequisite for actually winning the war. Of course, they should have been able to simply flatten any Cardie positions from orbit, but the Federation smacks rather strongly of an entity that would be excessively squemish about orbital bombardment. The result was a stalemate, and both sides surrendering territory at the treaty.
That is why the cardassians are my favourite "bad guy" race. They are the most down to earth realistic approach in star trek imho, no one planet superaliens magically able to build technology beating the very best 150 member worlds have to offer. No it is clear that they lag behind technology-wise and are short on resources which for one gives starfleet and the federation the chance to life up to the high ideals they always talk about and refrain from steamrolling them like the klingons did later on.

Asskissing the super-alien of the week is no prove of a peaceful and rightous federation imho, but how they treat local threats - with respect and dignity - is a much better example of the supposedly high morals of the UFP imho!

(On a more personal note.....GO MAXWELL GO! :twisted: )
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

The Cardies wouldn't last too long in space if it came to an all-out war between them and the UFP, but the Feds would find it all but impossible to root them out of any ground positions. While they could hit any Cardassian formations in open ground from space, they can hardly do the same for Cardassian forces located in the middle of a densley populated city. They'd have to deploy their own ground forces to combat them. Therefore, it would take a long time for the Glorious Redshirt Corps to actualy bring the war to an end.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"