Telepathy and legal rights in Trek

Deep Space Nine
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Re: Telepathy and legal rights in Trek

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote:
I said it was 'woven'(perhaps not the most accurate discription) into walls, but is more often created as headband worn on the head.
Ah, right.
Still, you could probably make buttons or zips or badges out of it.
Assuming it's strong enough to be used in those devices, how would that stop someone from being able to use their telepathy?
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Ok, so what if someone had a hat and used the head band as a liner inside in Grahams scenario since you evaded the problem through a technicality...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

There's already a mind beam blocking material in use for hats...

It's called tin foil.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Or just put a spagettii strainer on your head....

God, I remember that from a movie, but the name of it just WILL NOT come to mind :confused:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Cpl Kendall wrote:There's already a mind beam blocking material in use for hats...

It's called tin foil.
I just use an armadillo helmet... doesn't reflect like tinfoil so it doesn't stand out so much when the man comes by looking for you...
There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.
-Elie Wiesel

Dreaming in Color Living in Black and White, Sitting in a Grey Day Leaning on a Bright New Tomorrow.
-Billy Ray Cyrus
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

KuvahMagh wrote:Ok, so what if someone had a hat and used the head band as a liner inside in Grahams scenario since you evaded the problem through a technicality...
First of all, why would they want this material line their head if it wasn't visable? as for the fall-out bit, in the unlikely case this happened, they'd probably assume the metal was probably defective from a manufacturing impurity or something which they'd consider 100x more likely then the leaders of their community lying to them for over 4 generations
There's already a mind beam blocking material in use for hats...

It's called tin foil.
Mythbusters showed that tin foil hats don't do anything to block 'mind beams'. If anything it actually increases it's effect :lol:
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Blackstar the Chakat wrote:
Mythbusters showed that tin foil hats don't do anything to block 'mind beams'. If anything it actually increases it's effect :lol:
You don't say?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
You don't say?
Disclaimer: I rarely watch Mythbusters so i'm ignorant of most of what they do.

How did they show this???
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

First of all, why would they want this material line their head if it wasn't visable? as for the fall-out bit, in the unlikely case this happened, they'd probably assume the metal was probably defective from a manufacturing impurity or something which they'd consider 100x more likely then the leaders of their community lying to them for over 4 generations
Why do they want it to line walls if it wasn't visible...

As to your Government Conspiracy vs Manufacturing Impurities... something this important would likely be tested, each and everyone before it leaves the plant, otherwise these 'impurities' could happen a lot and thus give you an even greater problem. I work in Manufacturing and I have to test every single part that I assemble to make sure it works like it is supposed to, that doesn't mean 1 every 10/20/5,00,000, that means every single one and what I make would not cause society as we know it to collapse if it didn't work, I'd just have a pissed off customer...

As to your "they'd consider 100x more likely then the leaders of their community lying to them for over 4 generations" part well I could list all of the various conspiracies the US Government has covered up (please don't tell me you don't think they have because this is bassically what your saving happens in this fiction) but I think mere common knowledge would back me up on this one...
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Mark wrote:
Cpl Kendall wrote:
You don't say?
Disclaimer: I rarely watch Mythbusters so i'm ignorant of most of what they do.

How did they show this???
I haven't seen that episode but I think they tried claimed methods of mind control(mostly radio signals) while wearing tin-foil hats.
As to your "they'd consider 100x more likely then the leaders of their community lying to them for over 4 generations" part well I could list all of the various conspiracies the US Government has covered up (please don't tell me you don't think they have because this is bassically what your saving happens in this fiction) but I think mere common knowledge would back me up on this one...
Well if we're talking about the CU species that most often wears the headbands, then their government is totally different from the US government. They're far more...trustworthy. They are telepaths after all. They also do less governing and more doing! :lol:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Blackstar the Chakat wrote:Assuming it's strong enough to be used in those devices, how would that stop someone from being able to use their telepathy?
Are you kidding?! The same imaginary way that you said the headbands would work! Why would lying to someone about the efficacy of a placebo headband be any different than lying to them about a placebo button?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Mikey wrote:
Blackstar the Chakat wrote:Assuming it's strong enough to be used in those devices, how would that stop someone from being able to use their telepathy?
Are you kidding?! The same imaginary way that you said the headbands would work! Why would lying to someone about the efficacy of a placebo headband be any different than lying to them about a placebo button?
Because the headbands make sense. They go around the head, where the telepathy part comes in. If you put it on an unrealated part of the body that would bring up a lot more questions
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Um... headBANDS are BANDS. They're open on top. If the entire population of Chakats is goofy enough to believe that magic headbands will block their telepathic ability without ever questioning, then they'll believe the same of a button.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
KuvahMagh
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by KuvahMagh »

Well if we're talking about the CU species that most often wears the headbands, then their government is totally different from the US government. They're far more...trustworthy. They are telepaths after all. They also do less governing and more doing! :lol:
So they are trustworthy because they are telepaths... telepaths who are basically forced to not use their telepathy... show of hands... does this make sense to anyone else because I'm not getting it...

The US Government used to be more trustworthy didn't stop Col. North from selling guns to Iran to pay for the Contras in Nicaragua while acting as a representative of the CIA... Even under JFK and Eisenhower when the World believed the US they still went about covert ops.
-Elie Wiesel

-Billy Ray Cyrus
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

So they are trustworthy because they are telepaths... telepaths who are basically forced to not use their telepathy...
And who are also lying to their entire populace about something of high importance.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"