Biggest design flaws ever!

Everything else
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Biggest design flaws ever!

Post by Mikey »

Fine with me - I'm willing to accept Black Library's word over the Lexicanum's. :)

Now, did you say that it DOES have warp engines to keep up with the front, and therefore doesn't have to be towed? I'm liking this thing better already!
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Ah, wait, I screwed up there.
It doesn't have its own warp drives. However, it does have its own gellar field, and its generators are powerful enough to get it into the warp. However, without drives it'd just be stuck there, so it needs a ship to tow it into position.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:Ah, wait, I screwed up there.
It doesn't have its own warp drives. However, it does have its own gellar field, and its generators are powerful enough to get it into the warp. However, without drives it'd just be stuck there, so it needs a ship to tow it into position.

Makes more sense. Not a huge issue, if it is in fact meant to be a semi-permanent installation rather than a front-line tactical unit.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

That's pretty much what it is.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sounds like that thing was dreamt up with an eye to the Mulberry harbours, although it's got a fair bit more firepower.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd call being able to take on entire fleets and win a bit more than "a fair bit more firepower". :P
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Entire fleets with BDZ-level firepower at that, if half what I've heard about 40k is right.

Besides, as an Englishman I have a national reputation for understatement to uphold. :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Did I mention that that one structure can house/repair/refit EIGHT strike cruisers and still man and operate its armaments normally?
as Bull offed Custer
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

8? so the Cathedral-ala-warpdrive does have some uses.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:Entire fleets with BDZ-level firepower at that, if half what I've heard about 40k is right.
Yep. Many cap ships have the capability of exterminatus - sterilization (or worse) of a planet:
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Exterminatus
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

And the Nightbringers turned their homeworld into an asteroid field with just their ships' main guns. :twisted:
SuperSaiyaMan12
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SuperSaiyaMan12 »

Behemouth-class Battlecruisers not having shields over their heavy armor (Starcraft reference).
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

The Ramilies Starforts are more then just a station or supply base. They house more then a million troops at a time, can supply 3 Battle Fleets for more then ten years off of their own stocks, have firepower equal to a fleet on their own, can travel with a fleet if needed and have been built in the tens of thousands. That would sound to me that the Ramilies have done very well and carries few flaws on its own.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:Behemouth-class Battlecruisers not having shields over their heavy armor (Starcraft reference).
I dont think that's so much of a design flaw but technology limitation. Humans don't have shields in Star Craft.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Monroe wrote:
SuperSaiyaMan12 wrote:Behemouth-class Battlecruisers not having shields over their heavy armor (Starcraft reference).
I dont think that's so much of a design flaw but technology limitation. Humans don't have shields in Star Craft.
Yeah, and a couple of Yamato Cannon blasts to a Protoss Carrier makes up the difference anyways. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939