Thank God it ended when it did...

Enterprise
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Whats your opinion on things like the teleporter, phasers, polarised hull plating, Borg and Ferengi Striker?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Well I think they should have used things like tactical fusion nuclear warheads instead of photon torpoedoes. I thought they handled the transporter good enough, though it was the studio not the producers who wanted to put one in. The phasers went okay. They could have made that more of a storyline device.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I would have preffered nukes and lasers to torps and phasers. Particularly seeing as how lasers were described as being primitive in comparison to lasers, it would make sense to use them.
As for the transporter, I would have preffered that being a new addition to the ship a few seasons in. Have it as experimental technology being tested out that no one really trusts.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I wouldnt have minded if they didnt use nukes. They have a bad rap and tv studios wouldnt allow them. But at least have other weapons that are low tech.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Teaos wrote:I wouldnt have minded if they didnt use nukes. They have a bad rap and tv studios wouldnt allow them. But at least have other weapons that are low tech.
Doesn't BSG use nukes as heavy captial ship weapons?

And they did have, I believe it was Spatial Torpedoes or something, that they had targeting issues with early on. Then two years later they're replaced with Photonic torpedoes. Which is the same name used for the torpedoes of the Delta Flyer's borg-inspired weapon systems by the way. That name(Photonic torpedoes) is one of the few continuity errors I cannot forgive
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yes, but they don't use them that often, as they only have a few.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
The Cylons used nukes extensively during their attack on the Colonies. Galactica is short of them but the Cylons still use them occasionally.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I loved the idea of the spatial torpedoes, and I was like "there they go again" when they added the photonic torpedoes. Oh well.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Teaos wrote:
In fact B&B didn't want to have a transporter at all and were forced to by the network (UPN I believe), that does not excuse the shitastic writing mind you.
I hate to say it but I've be reading quite a bit about B&B lattly, mainly Berman. I gotta say from what I've read he isnt as evil as I though. Most of the truely horrible stuff was not stuff he really liked but had to do.

Sure he made mistakes but mainly it was the studios fault.
If B&B aren't actually to blame and "had" to do a lot of the bad things they did due to pressure from the network, then they still made themselves whipping boys and stood up and did press secretary for bad network decisions as if they were their own. Either due to ego (not wanting to admit they weren't in charge of Trek) or whatever other reason. I think the reason I still consider it very fair to blame them is because of their very condescending remarks about what fans want and continuity... their attitude reeked of basically "well Trek is what we say it is, and we're not going to be stopped by idiot fan geeks who live at Trek conventions."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But as Berman said, if he said no and walked away then someone else would have walked in and maybe done a far worse job. He felt he could do it better... who knows maybe he was right.

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Teaos wrote:Whats your opinion on things like the teleporter, phasers, polarised hull plating, Borg and Ferengi Striker?
I think after I finish with the Royal Rumble anthology, I'm gonna go back through ENT and figure out how many times the transporter was used. I recall shuttles being used quite a bit and transporters for relative emergencies/necessity.

Phase pistols were a hell of a lot more primitive than phasers or even the TOS lasers. No disintegrate, wide-beam, only two settings and a lot weaker...

Polarizing the plating wasn't as force fields. They had an episode with the crew trying to jury-rig a force field, with that alien goo creature thingie. So it doesn't bother me.

Borg and Ferengi, seems like their date of first contact went back a bit, with the Ferengi in DSN and the Raven in Voyager. Hell, the El-Aurian refugees were in Generations. Like one of them wouldn't say, "Oh, here's some info on the cybernetic bastards that wiped out our civilization..."

and during Zeta Maxia... not like they had time to go, "Oh, here's an old, obscure encoutner the Enterprise-nil had..."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The El-Aurin refugees wouldnt count as a first contact. Its hearsay. The Hansens obviously had heard about them but as they said it was just rumors.

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Yeah, but pretty powerful hearsay, IMHO. And no one bothered to ask them what the hell happened or where they came from? It stretches credibility, methinks.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

There was obviously recordings. It just Picard didnt know about them which isnt that much of a stretch.

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:There was obviously recordings. It just Picard didnt know about them which isnt that much of a stretch.
There, so the Borg 'problem' solved. ;)