The Ranting Thread

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: The Ranting Thread

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

It was ten minutes from my old house to Elementary school. I took the bus after that, though. At least until the latter half of senior year.
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

I purposely took an extra class in High School, just so I wouldn't have to ride the bus. Walking wasn't an option.
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Ok part 2. I described this a friend of mine. She instantly got pissed off at me because I did not know where those kids came from or why they had to be dropped off within 100 feet of the last stop. She got mad at me because I described them as 'normal' kids.

She found this offensive because her 13 year old son looks normal but has pyschological issues that puts him in the special needs. Then she got mad at me because I have no kids I shouldn't be saying anything about how or why these kids should be dropped off with 100 feet of each other.

First off all, unless I live in an area of about three dozen Jr. High school students who are in the 'special needs' school, these kids are normal. Also when I meant they are normal, I meant they have two feet that they can walk on to get home. I also meant normal as in these are your average kids, walking home from the bus by themselves or with friends. I have seen some of these kids play also which suggest they there is nothing 'special' about them.

Second, not having kids doesn't mean I automatically can't just observe something that was odd to me. On other side, being a parent doesn't mean you automatically know everything there is to be a parent. Since having kids has no set rules. Every kid is different and has to be taught, disciplined differently. What works for your kid probably won't work for someone elses. This isn't rocket science, but some think it is and only being a parent gives you that understanding. I mean, being a parent automatically gives you that insight right? ;)

Anyway she totally overlooked my joke about feeling old because i had to walk uphill for half a mile in all sorts of weather...
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Royal_Foxx wrote:Walking wasn't an option.
Not for me either, during most of my school career.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

I've never used a School Bus, though admittedly I do live about 10 minutes away from both my Primary school and Secondary school. I use a service bus to get to college* now though, just because walking isn't an option since my college is about 4 hours walk away.

*That's college in the British sense, not what is, over here, called university.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I rode the bus home in Jr High and High School, but always made my dad drive me, as I wouldn't get up till like 20 minutes before I had to be there, lol.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I always walked or rode my bike to both Primary and Secondary school. Just because I prefer walking. Same reason I don't drive, if I can get somewhere by walking/cycling, I'd rather do that. If not, I get a train nearer and then walk.
“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.”
― Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

McAvoy wrote:being a parent doesn't mean you automatically know everything there is to be a parent. Since having kids has no set rules. Every kid is different and has to be taught, disciplined differently. What works for your kid probably won't work for someone elses.
As a parent, let me tell you - you said that right, brother. I know teenagers who have more empathy and ability to connect than parents of large families. In fact, I know teenagers who are parents and do a better job of it than some "adults." Sounds like your friend has just been given cause during her life to suspect any phrase or sentence which contains the term "normal kids."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

McAvoy wrote:So I happened to drive when the Junior High Schools kids got out school today. Usually I am either before or after this, so I miss the buses. Today I got stuck behind one of the buses in my neighborhood and it stopped three fucking times in less than 300 feet. These are pre-teen to young teenager ages. I mean it's not going to hurt them walking an extra 100 feet.

But the worse part is that I realized I DID in fact walk half a mile to my own bus stop through rain, snow, ice (incidently uphill too)...

It's a small rant.
Iti s probably because if one of the kids trips on the sidewalk and gets a bo-bo they parents will sue the bus company, the school, the city, etc etc etc.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

McAvoy wrote:Ok part 2. I described this a friend of mine. She instantly got pissed off at me because I did not know where those kids came from or why they had to be dropped off within 100 feet of the last stop. She got mad at me because I described them as 'normal' kids.

She found this offensive because her 13 year old son looks normal but has pyschological issues that puts him in the special needs. Then she got mad at me because I have no kids I shouldn't be saying anything about how or why these kids should be dropped off with 100 feet of each other.

First off all, unless I live in an area of about three dozen Jr. High school students who are in the 'special needs' school, these kids are normal. Also when I meant they are normal, I meant they have two feet that they can walk on to get home. I also meant normal as in these are your average kids, walking home from the bus by themselves or with friends. I have seen some of these kids play also which suggest they there is nothing 'special' about them.

Second, not having kids doesn't mean I automatically can't just observe something that was odd to me. On other side, being a parent doesn't mean you automatically know everything there is to be a parent. Since having kids has no set rules. Every kid is different and has to be taught, disciplined differently. What works for your kid probably won't work for someone elses. This isn't rocket science, but some think it is and only being a parent gives you that understanding. I mean, being a parent automatically gives you that insight right? ;)

Anyway she totally overlooked my joke about feeling old because i had to walk uphill for half a mile in all sorts of weather...
So... she was intollerant of your comment when she took as intollerant of non "normal" kids. And while you were wrong for potentially being intollerant... her intollerance is justified... right?
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Jim wrote:Iti s probably because if one of the kids trips on the sidewalk and gets a bo-bo they parents will sue the bus company, the school, the city, etc etc etc.
Sadly, this is probably too true in today's "sue anyone and everyone" culture.
“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.”
― Captain Jean-Luc Picard
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Sad but true, Tindarin.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Mikey wrote:
McAvoy wrote:being a parent doesn't mean you automatically know everything there is to be a parent. Since having kids has no set rules. Every kid is different and has to be taught, disciplined differently. What works for your kid probably won't work for someone elses.
As a parent, let me tell you - you said that right, brother. I know teenagers who have more empathy and ability to connect than parents of large families. In fact, I know teenagers who are parents and do a better job of it than some "adults." Sounds like your friend has just been given cause during her life to suspect any phrase or sentence which contains the term "normal kids."
I think she has. Outwardly she and her son look normal. But there are pyschological issues that doesn't make them 'normal'. But the problem is that she couldn't look past me saying that when all I meant is those kids have two legs and feet that they can use to walk home. I mean as 'non normal' as she and her son are, they walk perfectly fine, just as well as anyone else. She also couldn't look past the fact this school bus dropped off 30-40 kids in my neighborhood.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Jim wrote:
McAvoy wrote:Ok part 2. I described this a friend of mine. She instantly got pissed off at me because I did not know where those kids came from or why they had to be dropped off within 100 feet of the last stop. She got mad at me because I described them as 'normal' kids.

So... she was intollerant of your comment when she took as intollerant of non "normal" kids. And while you were wrong for potentially being intollerant... her intollerance is justified... right?
Pretty much.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Walked/bicycle rode/moped rode to school (Moped in my last year). And now I ride to college. Its like 2 miles down the road but...why not? :)