After they got back

Voyager
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: After they got back

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Monroe wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:EMH : Will remain with Voyager. He'll introduce the Federation to a number of alien medical techniques picked up in the DQ; not exactly revolutionising medicine, but certainly making a big contribution. He will also continue working towards greater freedom and respect for holographic life forms through the Federation legal system. In a couple of hundred years, Voyager's EMH will be looked on by much of the Federation as a Martin Luther King figure.
I sure hope not. I think the whole holographic rights thing is retarded. I made a post about this awhile ago but where's the line going to be if you start making projections living things.
IMO, the line is intelligent, conscious, self aware beings of any sort.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Monroe wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:EMH : Will remain with Voyager. He'll introduce the Federation to a number of alien medical techniques picked up in the DQ; not exactly revolutionising medicine, but certainly making a big contribution. He will also continue working towards greater freedom and respect for holographic life forms through the Federation legal system. In a couple of hundred years, Voyager's EMH will be looked on by much of the Federation as a Martin Luther King figure.
I sure hope not. I think the whole holographic rights thing is retarded. I made a post about this awhile ago but where's the line going to be if you start making projections living things.
IMO, the line is intelligent, conscious, self aware beings of any sort.
I think the argument goes back to TNG's Measure Of A Man when someone had asked the question "What if the Enterprise D's computer refused to accept an upgrade?" It comes down to a matter of sentience; Moriarty and The Doctor certainly are sentient, but what about Worf's opponents in a standard combat simulation? Is he committing murder if he erases the program? If you design the WWII Nazi program are you doing something immoral if you erase the SS commandant? Were you immoral for creating him in the first place?

I never understood using The old EMHs for hazardous duty. First of all, do all of them still have all that medical knowledge? Because my impression was it was a huge chunk of software. What do they know about mining? If they had to be reprogrammed for mining wouldn't they have just used a miner as a template? I guess like a lot of Voyager writing I was never supposed to look too closely.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Its also the fact that since holograms and androids have such superior capabilities in most fields that humans cant hope to compete.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.