Hey wargames subforum. Anybody want to play

sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Re: Hey wargames subforum. Anybody want to play

Post by sunnyside »

Sorry. Guessing distance is part of the game. With this you can at least play with your thumb and forefinger, have a scale bar, and have the letter tick marks.

On the tabletop you just have to eyeball it.

So you can move where you want with the jump. But then you have to declare who you're shooting at and/or who you are charging (note that if you shoot at someone you can only choose to charge them). If you come up short on either your guys just stand there.

So you could try for the missile launchers and risk coming up a couple millimeters short, or you could try for the closer command squad.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Okey dokey. I'll gamble it, then, and try to charge the missile launchers after I jump. In other words, I'll stick to the original plan.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

ok

So when attacking with a flamer you want it to go first to cover as many as possible. I've left the template on the map just so you see the area a flamer attack coveres. Everything touched takes an automatic hit, and while armor saves are allowed cover saves are not (the fire gets into crevases and bunkers and such). However flak armor just isn't able to protect against a flamer (it has an "armor piercing" value that lets it ignore armor that saves on a 5+ or 6+)

Anyway the flamer is s4 against t3 guards so it needs 3s to wound.
2,4,1,5,5 so 3 dead veterans.
The double tapping bolters and pisol on the commander more than slaughter the rest. (total of 13 shots as within 12" the bolters fire twice).

So I had the rhino fire at the command squad. It killed 1 guardsman.

The assault marines just make it to the missiles. the commander rolls well and cuts three of them down with 4 attacks. one of the others can't get close enough to count for this combat. The other two regular guys actually have some trouble with the flak armor.

However the ld roll is a 9. Which won't let them hold under much better circumstances. They fail to fall back in good order and run away/are cut down. For consolidation they couldn't reach a new target so I just fanned them out a little for more flamer resistance.

Reliant is up. Things look a little grim but you can still make some of those marines pay for what they did! (or you could get lucky) Note that the game only lasts 6 turns. So both sides will only get to go twice more.

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

veterans or command squad whatever that group in the centre is attack the southern most squad.

squad #1, open up on the assault marines.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Alright the flamers do their thing. Marines of course will probably weather it better. Both get all eight marines covered. need 4s to wound
3,3,2,6,5,4,5,3,6,6,4,6,2,3,5,4 so 10 wounds.
4,2,4,3,6,6,1,4,2,3 3 fail their saves.
that squad also has two lasguns which fire twice (actually they're firing a lot on full auto but it "counts as" firing twice )
4,5,4,5 all hit
2,6,6,2 two wound
1,3 one failed save
so 4 marines died in that squad.

In squad 1 everyone can shoot but one lasgunner too far into the woods and they're just within 12" range of everybody in the squad that can see them so double firing.
so heavy bolter
2,1 ugh nothing there

the lasguns
2,3,2,4,1,5,1,3,6,1,6,4,4,3 6 hits
3,5,3,5,4,6 3 wounds
6,1,1 two failed saves.

the risky plasma gun! When firing twice a roll of 1 OR 2 hurts the firer.
3,4 1 hit
5 and it wounds. They aren't in cover so the marine has no save.
so 3 dead from that squad.

Both units now have to make moral checks and the assault marine is at a -1 penalty
5,4=9 well that would have failed anyway. The assault marine falls back 3d6 inches
6,5,3+0 = 14

the other squad tests
4,3+0 = 7 they hold

Alright so the assault marine is essentially out of the game. He won't "regroup" and get back to fighting this turn because you can't regroup when within 6" of enemy models which he is. However unless killed he will regroup next turn. But unless he doesn't fall back very far he'll be too far away to influence the battle. However if they live and regroup they count for victory point purposes (determining the winner for the game).

I should also tell you about tank shock since you could do it this turn. Basically you try and run guys over with the Rhino. They're assumed to get out of the way. But it might panic them (forces an Ld test). You have to move in a straight line for a tank shock, and if they wan to a model in the unit can risk their life to get an automatic hit on the tank. Nobody in the command squad has a weapon that could hurt a rhinos front armor. But it would be risky against the plasmagunner in squad 1.

Anyway Tsu is up.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Have all of the marines move south-east to G-5, and have the Rhino fire at the command squad.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Alright first the assault marine sarg falls back.
5,4,6+0 = 15

that puts them too far away to shoot anybody. Though I suppose they're at least safe from incoming fire down there.

Marines fan out to be more resistant to flamer fire.

Rhino shoots

Ech. Well that's it for that turn.

Ok Reliant. This is your last turn. After that Tsu gets to take the SMs last turn.

Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

move the squad #1 F3 if they can make it. if not then move them as far as they can in that direction. IF they can fire at the Rhino, then go ahead.

have the command squad open up on the rhino as well.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

What? My reply to this isn't showing.

Anyway I wanted to point out that the only weapons on the command squad that could hurt the Rhino are the flamers. And then only if you run around to the rear armor. And even then it's a longshot.

The plasmagunner in squad 1 has at least a shot of taking it out after the move though.

FInally I wanted to say that upon review the SM special rule will let that assault marine act like normal on the last turn. Just so you know.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

ah...right....erm...well...i suppose the plasmagunner can have a go?
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Alright. Lets. I'll just move the Command squad to attack the marines while holding back. Actually they might attack the rhino anyway.

Difficult terrain test.

Whenever you don't want to target the closest unit (unless you're skipping little guys to shoot a vehicle or monsterous creature) you have to take a target priority check. Fail and the troopers fire at the closest thing thats coming to kill them. This is especially unfortunate when they do this to something their weapons can't hurt.

5,5 Ok they biff it. So I guess your origional orders stand. :P

Still through creative placement of flamers they can hit the Rhino and still get some marines in the area of effect. Rhino ignores the attacks due to its armor.

6,2 1 wound
2 One dead marine
5,3 1 wound
1 two dead marines

The plasmagunner doesn't get a great spot. But they do get an angle on the Rhino.
2,4 oooh. A 2 when rapid firing plasma means the guy might get torched, but we'll work that out after the shot
so 1 hit.
5 5+7(str of plasma)=12 which is over 11 (the Rhinos front armor) so this is potentially a penetrating hit.
However they weren't able to move far enough to get a clean shot on the Rhino. So its still obscured by the mountain so on a 4+ the penetrating hit is downgraded to a glancing on
1 nope
for effect 1 Aw. Well that still stuns the thing so it can't move, tank shock, or shot on the the last turn.
is the plasma gunner wounded (only a 1 will fail to wound)
plasma gunner makes an an armor save to not get torched
5 Whew! Flak armor comes through.

Finally regula marines make a Ld test.
4,5=9 Oh they fail! So they fall back
4,4=8 inches That's far enough that they'll be able to regroup though.

Ok Tsu. That was reliants last turn. Now its your last turn.

The Rhino is stunned. so it isn't doing anything. However the remaining regular and assault marines regroup using the space marines special rule and can move and shoot normally this turn.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I guess I'll jump the assault marine northeast, and then have him fire twice at the command squad. Then have the remaining regular marines also open fire on the command squad.
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

The stationary regular marine sargent lines up some pistol shots
6,3 both hit
6,5 both wound no armor save

The Assault marine sarge fires
1 nothing

Test leadership
3,6=9 ouch falling back
2,5 =7 inches

And that's a wrap.

Alright so now we calculate victory points.
IG gets 1/2 the point total for the assault and regular marines for getting them under 1/2 strength.
Marines get full points for everything be squad 1 since the command squad is falling back.

so that's 315 to 170 I believe for a 145 point spread.

Now the outcomes aren't just win or lose there are different levels of victory which matter in tournaments and keep things interesting for players on the tabletop because one may be trying for a slaughter and the other trying to hold it to a lower level.

The levels are
Draw
Solid victory
Crushing victory
Victorious Slaughter

A 145 point spread is good for a solid victory.

Anyway now for comments. This would be both about how you felt running the game in the forum went as well as tactical comments and such. People not involved in the game are welcome to give their input as well. Heck I'd just be curious if anyone else is reading this.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I had a lot of fun; thanks for setting this all up, sunny. Maybe I'll do better next time. :D
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Indeed you have my gratitude Sunny. And a good battle, Tsuki.