Starfleets Modern Fleet

Deep Space Nine
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I dont think anyship could get away with not having a phaser on it. They are used for so many different things.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Teaos wrote:I dont think anyship could get away with not having a phaser on it. They are used for so many different things.
It's pretty much common sense. Like I said, you have to bend over backwards and defy in-universe common sense and precedent to say "well we don't see them firing weapons, so even if we see them in combat situations we must take that as evidence there is no weaponry."

Hopefully the nail is in that coffin.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Duskofdead wrote:It's pretty much common sense. Like I said, you have to bend over backwards and defy in-universe common sense and precedent to say "well we don't see them firing weapons, so even if we see them in combat situations we must take that as evidence there is no weaponry."
As I've already pointed out, with the example of the Canberra, being in the middle of a battle does not necessarily mean a ship is armed - it could be there accidentally, or as part of the fleet train (a replenishment or hospital ship for example).

Nonetheless, the example of an Oberth in FC firing phasers at the cube does show that they're armed, if weakly, so consider the point conceded.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

So, back to topic.

Does Starfleet keep their old shuttles around, like the type 6, 7 and the shuttlepods? Or do they completely replace them throughout the fleet?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

stitch626 wrote:So, back to topic.

Does Starfleet keep their old shuttles around, like the type 6, 7 and the shuttlepods? Or do they completely replace them throughout the fleet?
They probably get booted down the Fleet List. The newer starships get all the gucci kit, and the Excelsiors et al get the cast-offs and hand-me-downs.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

That's how I feel, and it makes sense.

I wonder how that makes the crews of the older ships feel.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Duskofdead wrote:It's pretty much common sense. Like I said, you have to bend over backwards and defy in-universe common sense and precedent to say "well we don't see them firing weapons, so even if we see them in combat situations we must take that as evidence there is no weaponry."
As I've already pointed out, with the example of the Canberra, being in the middle of a battle does not necessarily mean a ship is armed - it could be there accidentally, or as part of the fleet train (a replenishment or hospital ship for example).

Nonetheless, the example of an Oberth in FC firing phasers at the cube does show that they're armed, if weakly, so consider the point conceded.
Yes now you may promptly proceed to stop your sniping and trolling everywhere else that I supposedly never provide proof for anything. Not that you WILL of course, because even when you're wrong, you're right.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

As far as the shuttles go, I would imagine that they don't get "booted" down the llist so much as remain with their contemporary ships - so that a ship from the 2350's would have shuttles from the 2350's, even if a more advanced shuttle were available - the ship would have facilities geared toward the contemporary shuttle, and the crew would be more familiar with it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I would imagin starships could break down and recycle old shuttles and build new ones pretty easy. Case in point - Voyager.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:I would imagin starships could break down and recycle old shuttles and build new ones pretty easy. Case in point - Voyager.
My initial thought was also, "why not just break it (mostly) back down into component materials and recycle it?"
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Good point - especially since some components (namely warp coils) can't be replicated.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer