Death Star?

Enterprise
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Good point.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Teaos wrote:I just dont see how it could be physically possible. The amount of energy needed to break a planet apart and defeat gravity.
From Wookiepedia's Star Wars article:
It has been calculated that blowing up an Earth-sized planet takes on the order of 10^32 joules of energy; this is roughly the total output of the Earth's sun in a week. More detailed estimates place the violent destruction of Alderaan as requiring 10^38 joules of energy, or roughly one million times that necessary to permanently break apart the planet.
I think the Xindi weapon put out the first amount from what I remember from the episode I was refering to.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

The image we saw was rather viloent though wasnt it.

Well we now know the out put of 8472 ships now to...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Wiat, what was Chaotic Space from VOY a ripoff/homage od?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

WH40K I think.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:WH40K I think.
Yeah, may as well have been the Eye Of Terror.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well we now know the out put of 8472 ships now to...
The 8472 attack seemed more like a chain reaction than a DET attack. Though it's still pretty damn impressive.

As for the Xindi Death Star, who made it? If it was the Xindi themselves, then there's simply no way it can be that powerful, and most likely relies on a chain reaction weapon to achieve it's effects. If some other group made it, then it's more believable.

Anyone got a link to a video of the Xindi Death Star in action?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Rochey wrote: As for the Xindi Death Star, who made it? If it was the Xindi themselves, then there's simply no way it can be that powerful, and most likely relies on a chain reaction weapon to achieve it's effects. If some other group made it, then it's more believable.

Not on hand. I'll take a look through youtube sometime today.

Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHCNha9X ... re=related

I'm not totally sure, because the computer I'm currently on doesn't have the flash player needed to look at Youtube videos right now.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I think the Xindi weapon came from the future's sphere builders. So maybe instead of a standard phaser they were able to active a [technobable] particle causing it to expand.

One thing is interesting though the probe and the super weapon seemed to act different. The super weapon seems to cause the Earth to break apart from within. The probe seemed to just cut into the Earth without harming the surrounding terrain.

Since the cut in the Earth was a smooth cut my theory is that the beam isn't a phaser or laser but instead its kind of like an anti-matter beam that nulifies the matter it hits. Reason it could be so compact and not burn up things around the cut. For the super weapon they had a secondary beam once the weapon struck the core that super heated it causing it to rip apart the planet. Reason the super weapon is so much larger.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:
The 8472 attack seemed more like a chain reaction than a DET attack. Though it's still pretty damn impressive.

As for the Xindi Death Star, who made it? If it was the Xindi themselves, then there's simply no way it can be that powerful, and most likely relies on a chain reaction weapon to achieve it's effects. If some other group made it, then it's more believable.

If IIRC they used kemocite (the stuff Quark was smuggling into Earth) to power a chain reaction.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

IIRC the Xindi built the weapon but with technical knowledge from the sphere builders.

Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Teaos wrote:IIRC the Xindi built the weapon but with technical knowledge from the sphere builders.
Memory Alpha agrees with you (anyones guess if it's right, it is a Wiki).

And the entry on kemocite.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Seems fair enough.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Thanks, Kendall and Teaos.