Critics' Reviews

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Critics' Reviews

Post by Varthikes »

When you decide whether or not you're going to see a particular movie, how affected are you by what the critics say?

Do you rely completely on the review?

Or, do you prefer to make your own decision based on what the movie is about?

Something else?

I'm more toward the second statement. I hardly read critics' reviews anymore--they seem to be too biased. I decide based on an objective synopsis of the movie to decide whether or not I'm going to see it. If I like the synopsis, I'll go see it.

How about you?
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I tend to listen to people I know who have seen it. I never listen to critics.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Critics' opinions are no more valid than anyone else's. I never pay attention to them, and, like Teaos, rely on friends' opinions. Or I just go see it and make up my own mind. Of course, I get to see films for free, so I can go without gambling $8-10.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I do not listen to critics at all. Typically they can not put movies in context and thing that if it is not Emmy worthy it sucks. I watch movies for entertainment value, critics do not.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I agree. Critics look for particular artistic values, which may or may not be relevant. I saw the film version of Ghost Rider, for example, to see a guy with a flaming skull for a head (and because I read the comic as a little kid,) not to see a literary rival of Zefferelli's Othello.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

There is a movie reviewer on the local news station. She does 2 movies a week. Usually the ones she says are crap are the ones I enjoy the most.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Enkidu
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Enkidu »

I tend to read/listen to a selection of critics, whose preferences I am fairly familiar with.
I am not a fan of amateur critics, who with the internet are supposed to have made the professionals obsolete. Five or six of my former work colleagues told me that the Da Vinci Code was the best book ever written, for example. (Three of them bought into Brown's "theories" hook line and sinker) The thing is that it was also one of the few, if not the only, book they had ever read without been forced to at school.
I like my critics to be able to draw on the experience of seeing countless films, to spot influences from other films, and understand the language of cinema, rather than just tell me it's long and boring, or full of great explosions.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I never really bother with critics. That's pretty much like walking up to some random guy on a street and asking what he thinks of a film. The only difference is that this guy gets paid to complain about them.
I usualy ask my friends what they think of it.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Teaos wrote:There is a movie reviewer on the local news station. She does 2 movies a week. Usually the ones she says are crap are the ones I enjoy the most.
i do have friends and coworkers who if they say a movie was bad... I will probably go see it.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Enkidu wrote:I tend to read/listen to a selection of critics, whose preferences I am fairly familiar with.
I am not a fan of amateur critics, who with the internet are supposed to have made the professionals obsolete. Five or six of my former work colleagues told me that the Da Vinci Code was the best book ever written, for example. (Three of them bought into Brown's "theories" hook line and sinker) The thing is that it was also one of the few, if not the only, book they had ever read without been forced to at school.
I like my critics to be able to draw on the experience of seeing countless films, to spot influences from other films, and understand the language of cinema, rather than just tell me it's long and boring, or full of great explosions.
You're right about that kind of criterion - Since I have (with books, at least) that kind of experience myself, I rarely feel the need to resort to a "professional" critic.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jabber Swarky
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Jabber Swarky »

I dont really trust my local critics, since they're eager to shoot down any new blockbusters comming out, but rank "A Heartwarming tale of a trio of Llama famers battling poverty in peru" To be one of the best movies ever made.

Seriously.

Oh, also, they tried to read too much into Rocky Horror, which is just inexcusable :P Saw it live, it was AWSOME.
"Theres allways the March Hare... he's mad too, of course. Most people around here are. You may have noticed im not all there myself..."
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Seeing as I usually only watch Sci-Fi, I may as well see if I can piss into the wind and not get wet then get a useful review.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

I never listen to critics. I tend to disagree with them anyway.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I don't listen to them. I base a movie/book/TV show/what have you on how I like it. Not what some talking head says about it.