Another Equinox nit

Voyager
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Another Equinox nit

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Why would the aliens go after the ship and not the people responsible? Many of the Equinox crew survived aboard Voyager.

There's also the little bit that early in part 1, when one section of shields went down, the aliens could go anywhere in the ship, but later Janeway was able to drop shields in a particular location and leave the rest of the ship protected (twice: once on the bridge during Chakotay's communications attempt and than the infamous interrogation scene). How exactly does this happen?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

1) Because the aliens are stupid.
2) Because the writers are stupid.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Rochey wrote:1) Because the aliens are stupid.
2) Because the writers are stupid.
Glad we got that cleared up :lol:
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

1) perhaps the aliens did not understand the concept of an individual (or they felt that their comrades were disapearing on the ship and considered the ship to be the threat).
2) other than bad writing, no idea.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Why would the aliens go after the ship and not the people responsible?
The Aliens really didnt seem smart. Kind of like a dog. Enough to know they are threatened and to attack but not enough to work out complex groups.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

stitch626 wrote:1) perhaps the aliens did not understand the concept of an individual (or they felt that their comrades were disapearing on the ship and considered the ship to be the threat).
2) other than bad writing, no idea.
Well, the Aliens certainly seemed to recognize individuals when Janeway and Tuvok negotiated with them. They were smart enough to recognize Voyager as being related to Equinox, also.

Looks like this is like the Vulcan tech thread I posted in the ENT forum a while back - nobody has any ideas. Hoo well, at least its out there.
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

Maybe the aliens felt that the Equinox's little horror engine was the real threat and wanted to take that out. Without the Equinox's alien-eating engines there would be no need for them to kill the aliens. The crew's death was probably a combanation of collateral damage and revenge. Once the Equinox was out of commision the aliens had no excuse to continue their attack other then revenge, which they may have found morally wrong like humans do, at least when admitting that the reason why.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Great point, very logical. :)
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Or maybe they thought the ship was an easier target. A hunk of metal cant might back.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

point 1 - I have to agree with Blackstar's idea. Even if they did recognize individuals, the Equinox itself would have been recognized as the source of the problem - the place twhere they were being killed.

point 2 - internal force fields.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Like the internal force feilds idea... might work to.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Internal Force fields seem to be just like shields so there is no reason they shouldnt work.