Iain M. Banks novels

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Iain M. Banks novels

Post by Mikey »

Thanks to the advice of a few folks here, I decided to embark on an exloration of the Culture. I just started Excession - the only one available at my local library - and am enjoying it, although I do feel a bit lost at times. My library does have a host of Banks' non-Culture, non sci-fi novels as well; any insight into these?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Can't say I've read any of his non-Culture stuff. Mostly because I've never seen them around.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

One that looked pretty interesting was called The Business. However, with the glowing reviews, I figured I should read the Culture series first. I'm a little lost in Banks' technobabble; perhaps because I started with what was available rather than what should be first?
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Of the Culture books I've read Consider Phlebas is probably the best one to start with - it's got less technobabble and is the closest to a traditional novel format with the Mind comms that have to be interpreted in Excession.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Excession. is probably the worst one you could possibly have read as an introduction; it's not impossible to be sure, but much of it will be easy to not quite get if you don't know a bit about the Culture.

And personally I found Excession to be one of the weaker books anyway.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Thanks for the tips; Seafort and Rochey had already given me some advice, but I was at the library yesterday and just picked up what they had. The universe-specific technobabble is a bit tough, but the AI interactions are actually pretty funny. And there is a sentient species called the Affront. How great is that? :lol:
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

OK, I've read a little farther, and let me just say: the only thing better than having a spaceship called "Meatf***er" is having one that is called that as a derogatory nickname by other spaceships. :laughroll:
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Iain M. Banks novels

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Like Mikey, I was interested by what I've heard about them; I just received the whole bunch of them, and I'll take a look when I can.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I re-read Excession again while I was on holidays. Just as good as I remembered it. :)
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Rochey wrote:I re-read Excession again while I was on holidays. Just as good as I remembered it. :)
I actually think it stalled a bit toward the end. However, I have been unable to find copies of Consider Phlebas, The Player of Games, or The Use of Weapons, all of which I am assured outclass Excession.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Oh, yes, those are easily superior in quality. I was just musing that it was still a good book, in my opinion.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think that a sister library to mine has Matter. Is it worth transferring a copy?
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Now that I have medication to deal with splitting headaches from reading without glasses, I intend to read these in order. I sure hope my library has a more abundant selection than Mikey's; like with movies or music, I never start in the middle of a book series.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I don't believe that the novels are serial as such; it's just that a couple had been recommended to me as good places to jump onto the train.
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Indeed. The books jump around a lot, featuring different events and different people. There's not really any point you could say is a start or end to it. Like Mikey, I just got a suggestion on which books were the best and jumped right in.