Voyager gets a new captain.....

Voyager
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Duskofdead wrote:I think his point is that people are getting too carried away acting like Janeway "sacrificed" her crew based on "every small detail of Starfleet policy." Which is hardly the case... her crew was alive, her crew did get home, albeit not as "quickly or smartly" as the "Battle Barge Captains" would approve of, but nonetheless.
They got home despite Janeway's leadership, not because of it - she nearly got the entire crew killed through her own stupidity or arrogance several times.
Janeway herself came back and got them home. Somehow that doesn't count? THIS is why I suspect there's some heavy bias at play.. it seems like everything she does right, you take away the credit for... and everything that she did "wrong" gets amplified.

In ALL of the shows, all of the captains have made decisions which nearly killed the crew or destroyed the ship. The only difference I can really see in this discussion is that in Janeway's case, each and every single one of those situations was directly her personal fault, she should have been MORE Marysue and "known" beforehand what was going to happen, and "smartly" avoided it or made a different decision than she did.

Rochey at least has been consistent and pretty much slammed all the captains. But I think if everyone else here put all the other captains through the same cheese grater they put Janeway they'd all have a less than pleasant descriptive adjective before their names too. ;)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

sunnyside wrote:And again you can lead a pretty full life on an intrepid. Get married. Have kids.
Come on. I mean... come on. That's your alternative to trying the most direct method availabel of getting home? :o
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Mikey wrote:
sunnyside wrote: Come on. I mean... come on. That's your alternative to trying the most direct method availabel of getting home? :o
Obviously actually getting home via schenanigans (you know like the trick that got us out here) is ideal.

But again it isn't like the alternative is a comfortable trip either. Again they'd at least face the same 50% death odds plus risks from the damaged array, Kazon, and weaker ship trying to pull it off.

And again upon getting home you'd just be doing mostly the same thing but with mail and shore leave. Actually you'd probably be in the Dominion war in an undergunned ship.

In short it isn't sounding that bad given the risks.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

But why do you hate to say it?
No offense meant (if any was taken). I hate taking sides, period. :oops:
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Duskofdead wrote:
Janeway herself came back and got them home. Somehow that doesn't count? THIS is why I suspect there's some heavy bias at play.. it seems like everything she does right, you take away the credit for... and everything that she did "wrong" gets amplified.
She did it because she cocked up what actually happened. She bore a fair bit of guilt that Chakotey (for example) never made it. The Janeway that came back obviously wasn't the same Janeway that was CO of Voyager, she was alot more bitter and jaded. She may as well have been a totally different person.
Duskofdead
Captain
Captain

Post by Duskofdead »

Cpl Kendall wrote:
Duskofdead wrote:
She did it because she cocked up what actually happened. She bore a fair bit of guilt that Chakotey (for example) never made it. The Janeway that came back obviously wasn't the same Janeway that was CO of Voyager, she was alot more bitter and jaded. She may as well have been a totally different person.
True. People are changed by their experiences.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I imagine they'd be pretty upset. Then they'd probably all die due to gross incompetance.
Maybe but they would die looking at a pretty Nebula.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Mikey wrote:
Come on. I mean... come on. That's your alternative to trying the most direct method availabel of getting home? :o
If that's the option than I'd vote for founding or joining a colony. A little glance at the "to frag list" would be in order first though.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'm with you on that one, Kendall. "Hmmm... I'm stuck on a rock 70,000 LY from home because of who, now?"
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:
I imagine they'd be pretty upset. Then they'd probably all die due to gross incompetance.
Maybe but they would die looking at a pretty Nebula.
Yeah. The one that eats them. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Remember that giant blob in Voyager that ate you while showing you what you most desire... A nice way to die.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I honestly doubt any ship captain could really avoid that one. Almost everyone on the ship was decieved.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Ah but the reason that almost worked was because everyone on board most desired the same thing - to get home - but what about on a normal ship when almost everyone wants something different?