Sharing of Technology

Voyager
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:The Kazon werent technically technological morons. They just had inferior technology that Voyager. If given the chance they could very well have quickly adapted it. After all Kazon technology was stolen off other species. Which would be based off other... which is based on other.
Kazon technology is all stolen from the Trabe, not other species in general. Given that the Kazon were originally a slave race it's likely they took a long time figuring out Trabe technology (or were trained on it by the Trabe), rather than having some skill at rapidly figuring out alien technology.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Duskofdead wrote:
Mikey wrote:That makes sense, Dusk; but being able to whip up a transporter - even one that is below Fed standard - out of basically thin air defies even VOY-type incredulity.
Well I do hate to upset the status quo here when it comes to Voyager bashing but I do have to point out that Voyager was not the only show to invent hard-to-take-credibly technoinventions out of thin air for plot purposes. In "Field of Fire", in DS9 for example, the Federation had a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny transporter unit that could be attached to the end of a gun to transport the bullet through walls right after it was fired. The thing could have easily fit in the palm of your hand with room to spare, with no bulky supporting hardware and what not. I am sure transporting a bullet is much simpler than transporting humanoid life forms, but a lot of that I am sure is the redundancy of safety procedures, pattern buffers, biofilters, all the various things to make absolutely sure you transport unharmed and even an elaborate system to make sure you don't bring any pathogens with you back onto the ship. Less safe and less reliable systems probably required far less supporting hardware and technical expertise, but might very well blow up on you or teleport half of you or malfunction and kill you or leak radiation... which is exactly what happened with the Kazon transporter when they tried to use it no? :)
All that you say is true, but it still provides no reason for me to believe that transporter technology can be whipped up on a lazy afternoon by a group who was heretofore unfamiliar with it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer