The Enterprise-D Size Question: was the TNG Enterprise too big?

The Next Generation
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

The Enterprise-D Size Question: was the TNG Enterprise too big?

Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: The Enterprise-D Size Question: was the TNG Enterprise too big?

Post by McAvoy »

Yes. For a crew that size and even taking in account for the size of the rooms, the ship is just huge.

Figure damage control. A ship this large would either mean during combat situations, either the crew is spaced out or concentrated in certain areas. So if a energy impact hit a certain part of the hull, perhaps a phaser relay energy thingie in the saucer, it might take valuable time for a repair crew to get to it.

Or think simple shifts. 8-12 hour shifts. 1,000 crew but not all Starfleet. Let's assume it's 750 crew members. That means 3 8 hour 250 crew shifts, or 2 12 hour 375 crew shifts. That's not alot of people to oversee a ship of this size during normal day to day operations.

Honestly, TNG could have tripled the crew to 3,000 and it would not have made a difference on the show, and it would have worked a bit better.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

we could simply say the galaxy class does have a lot more automation that we would expect
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

bladela wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:51 am we could simply say the galaxy class does have a lot more automation that we would expect
There is that. Does seem like there is alot of computer control.

There could be unseen droids that would do constant rounds like a rooba that had a love child with R2D2 that runs up and down the Jeffries Tubes.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

Actually that kind of droids are canon since DIS and SNW, so they were fielded a century before the D.
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

bladela wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 8:03 pm Actually that kind of droids are canon since DIS and SNW, so they were fielded a century before the D.
Yes. That never bothered me when I saw that. Makes sense to me.

In the end, the Galaxy class is huge. Gigantic. Like the circumference of the saucer is 2.4 kilometers or 1.5 miles.