From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Today I Watched...

Post by Varthikes »

Greyhound (2020)

A very gripping story about a convoy crossing the Atlantic, evading German U-boats, in the early days of US's involvement in WWII, 2 months after Pearl Harbor. Tom Hanks was great as the captain. Seeing him in another WWII movie got me wondering if anyone ever did a tally of actors appearing in movies set during the same war. John Wayne immediately comes to mind as the record holder with, at least, 7 WWII movies.

I also started Season 2 of The Lone Ranger, Season 2 of Enterprise, and I'm about to finally start watching Star Trek: Lower Decks.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:23 am
IanKennedy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:18 am The Abyss is great. Once you get over the dyslexic worry that it is about nuns. :)
I don't get it. Like I said haven't seen it in a long time. Like I am not even sure when I last saw it. So I don't get that reference.
The head honcho at a nunnery is the Mother Abbess
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

T'Pau wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:28 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:23 am
IanKennedy wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:18 am The Abyss is great. Once you get over the dyslexic worry that it is about nuns. :)
I don't get it. Like I said haven't seen it in a long time. Like I am not even sure when I last saw it. So I don't get that reference.
The head honcho at a nunnery is the Mother Abbess
Well I forgot so much about that movie sounds like it will be like watching it for the first time all over again.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Abyss > Abbess *<:*)X
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

The Marvels: wow...rhis was terrible on so many levels .. I can see why is was short for a superhero film and bombed at the box office.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

It had once saving grace... Kittens, ok they were eating people :)
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Aquaman 2: almost turned it off after the first 5 mins, but continued to if it might get better...spoiler (not really).. it did not improve. Another stinker from DC...oh well, it is all being tebooted so doesn't matter much in the long run.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Ted the TV series.

I actually enjoyed it. It certainly has the Family Guy element going on. The running joke in Halloween episode having the hot apple pie so hot that it can start fires for example.

The Dad is insufferable and by design. Almost cartoonist but at the same time easily believed especially nowadays. But he has moments.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Wonka: cringe-worthy musical numbers mixed with violence, extortion, baby-dumping and beyond. Needed copious more footage of Hugh Grant's oompa loompa humor!!!
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Saw Dune 2 last night.

I have read the first books over 20 years ago and I vaguely remember everything. I found it to be a great movie anyway even if someone has no clue about the books.

It does drag a bit I think in the first hour of the movie but it does build up. It's a long movie so choose a movie theater with good seats. The one I went to weren't that great. I was moving around alot during the movie.

I will need to re-watch the first movie and this when it comes out.

This movie should win major awards.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

The Alternate

I watch a lot of parallel universe films, any I can find. It was okay, not fantastic, but interesting enough. It is the first full film I have made it through in a while.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Damsel: a different take on the classic fairytale ..not bad for a Nteflix production, decent cgi, plot is a bit long in the tooth in the beginning, but picks up with the big bad introduction..good way to spend a rainy afternoon.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Migration: brought to you by the studio who did Minions...a family of ducks who have never migrated decide to fly into a crazy adventure...not the same quality as Minions but ok for a duck film.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Godzilla vs. Kong

I enjoyed it. The fight scenes between the two main Titans were nicely done, and then the climactic fight involving a Human-made Titan, which seems to take a few elements from Transformers: Age of Extinction. An arrogant billionaire attempting to create his own model of a powerful entity based on a component of a previously-defeated enemy.

A few things that I noted: Kong's nails are nice and trimmed and Godzilla's feet and head just feel way too small for his body.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Varthikes wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:15 am Godzilla vs. Kong

I enjoyed it. The fight scenes between the two main Titans were nicely done, and then the climactic fight involving a Human-made Titan, which seems to take a few elements from Transformers: Age of Extinction. An arrogant billionaire attempting to create his own model of a powerful entity based on a component of a previously-defeated enemy.

A few things that I noted: Kong's nails are nice and trimmed and Godzilla's feet and head just feel way too small for his body.
The argument about Godzilla's head has been going on since 2014. One of the reasons why they have slimmed him down for the King of Monsters.

I felt the movie was basically a big budget old school Godzilla movie Japan made in the 90's. Using a heavy dose of science fiction ljust without the big ridiculous names for the ships.