Galaxy class refit

The Next Generation
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Galaxy class refit

Post by McAvoy »

bladela wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:12 pm are in your opinion still galaxy class in service during picard? or maybe all the older ross class are refitted galaxy class?
There is a much greater difference between the Galaxy class and the Ross class when you look at them. Their proportions, shapes and sizes are all different. Even more so compared to the TOS and Movie Enterprise.

My guess, maybe still in service but not being built. The rebuilt E-D sounds like it was rebuilt using parts from other ships. Or as much as Geordi could, maybe the stardrive was pieced together from other ships.

Makes you wonder how much automation is done now in the 24th century if Geordi can work on a ships 641 meters in length like he was working on a boat on his backyard.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

not built i'm quite sure, but my idea is that if mirandas lasted more then a century i doubt starfleet may have scrapped all the galaxies only 40 years after construction

we should not see any excelsior anymore...ambassadors should be close to end of life...but galaxies should be still not even halfway through their lives
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

bladela wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:07 pm not built i'm quite sure, but my idea is that if mirandas lasted more then a century i doubt starfleet may have scrapped all the galaxies only 40 years after construction

we should not see any excelsior anymore...ambassadors should be close to end of life...but galaxies should be still not even halfway through their lives
Technically there really hasn't been said of anything about the Galaxy class's service life on screen. That sort of thing has been mentioned behind the scenes and in the Technical manual.

We have not seen a Galaxy class ship in Picard outside the E-D and in fact we are seeing far more Sovereign class ships. Almost like they took over the Excelsior class spot. In fact not alot of legacy classes left over.

So I imagine if they were still around by the beginning of the 25th century they would be in deep space or performing secondary duties. Also my guess refitted since TNG and DS9 where their interior is entirely different.

The Picard Season 1 event where half the fleet was destroyed above Mars could have played a part in the destruction of older classes like the Galaxy class. A huge ship like that on the older side would have been useful for evacuating Romulus.

Picard also kinda reverted the Federation fleet down to a much smaller size than what was shown in DS9.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

well we can't say about the size

i mean...we see a sizable fleet around earth...more or less a hundred ships there but i seriously doubt that is the entire starfleet

maybe they did the celebration around earth with just "one fleet" (like the 10th fleet in ds9, that was around the same size)

starfleet may be still the same size (or bigger) but spread over the entire federation (that should be even bigger then during ds9)
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"