Today I Watched...

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Today I Watched...

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

T'Pau wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:18 am Hellboy (2019) Nothing on tv so watched this utter stinker of a film...possibly for the second time (though I did not remember most of it).

Bad cgi, bad script, awful acting all around (shame on you Ian McShane)...bad just bad!
Uh, it wasn't 2019, had good cg as did the sequel though that one also had a weird incesty vibe thing with the twins, and whilst he didn't really bring much to his role as a reman in trek nemesis, as hellboy he OWNED the role.
**Sarcastic ""confusion"" **

Memory of the recent fee years might be a wee bit blank for some reason 🤭
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Hellboy 2019: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2274648/

Director: Neil Marshall
Writers: Andrew Cosby (screenplay by), Mike Mignola (based on the Dark Horse Comic Book "Hellboy" created by)
Stars: David Harbour, Milla Jovovich, Ian McShane |
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

The Incredible Hulk (2008)

I didn't start watching MCU, or any other Marvel movies, until Guardians of the Galaxy. After that, I got caught up with Thor, Captain America, and The Avengers as new installments of each came out. Up until this month, this one and the Iron Man movies were the only MCU movies I hadn't seen. A few weeks ago, I watched the first Iron Man movie (loved it!). Now, I watched The Incredible Hulk.

Surprisingly good. At the time it was released (and when the previous version was released five years earlier), I couldn't figure out what the appeal was of a raging giant green guy. I understand now, and maybe the Avenger movies warmed me up to it, that the story revolved around Bruce Banner trying to control himself and General Ross trying to contain/cover up his experiment. I also liked the Captain America connection.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

WALL-E

Among my favorite Pixar films. Packed full of gags and Easter eggs. And the robots are all given great character. I also appreciated the more serious side of the movie (serious, but still delivered with lovely slapstick)--the commentary on corporations (like Amazon, which Buy 'n Large obviously represents) taking control and what happens to Humans when everything is automated.

Although, given how disconnected the Humans seem to be from their surroundings, I have to wonder where the babies came from.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Dick Tracy: A fun popcorn flick. They really leaned into it leaping from the comic strip. Al Pacino apparently loved being Big Boy, and Madonna was actually pretty good.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Monster Hunter (2020): Mila Jovovitch and Ron Perlman in this adaptation of the popular video game.

Monsters are good and seen in daylight...borrowed heavily from other creatures from better films/tv.

The rest is not very good, but fun in its badness.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Nomandland: really good..makes you think big thoughts..great acting,music,images..all of it!
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Raya and the Last Dragon: lower quality Disney animated film...good values eventually brought to bear...Meh!
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Falbore and the Winter SleepingActor, first and second episode.
... I was HYPED AS HELL for WandaVision, and most MCU properties prior to WandaVision. But I haven't been this bored since watching the HOSHITITWASRELEASEDFORIMAX pilot episode of the Inhumans show, and kinda wondering if I should even cancel my D+ sub simply for two reasons - I only had it to get the last season of AoS and Watch WandaVision, and The Mandalorian, but since Disney doesn't seem able to put a competent person in charge of something star wars and not somehow fuck up (KK at star wars in general, and her interfering with Jon Favreau and Dave Filoni's babies), and then joined with the turd that was the Captain Marvel film, like, they should have made a black widow film. Or rather, not have waited until her character was dead to do so (I am NOT hyped for B.W. either because of this)

... Yeah I'm gonna cancel. I mean, I just watched these two episodes via having tor... um, accessed through non-disclosed means rather than watching it on my 50" tv via the d+app (that llaaaaags audio and desyncs said audio to the video whenever you press a button) on my Fire TV Stick.
Just glad that I only got the sub six months free as a bonus to being an EE customer.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Just finished watching all of Stargate SG-1.

Now started on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:09 am Falbore and the Winter SleepingActor, first and second episode.
Just watched episode 1 and 2...yawn!
I'd be more interested in following Bucky and the other old super soldier and how they are coping with what happened in their pasts.
Looking forward to the Loki spin off when it airs, but fear it will suffer as have all the 'spin offs' of secondary characters.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Godzilla vs Kong (2021):
Let me begin by saying that I have never liked the new version of the big lizard. His head is too small for his body.

That being said...wow, aside from CGI-palooza, this was boring in 'acting', plot, and how the story arc failed miserably. Lots of borrowing from other films, most notibly Pacific Rim, minus the kajira title (replaced by Titans).

Will be interesting to see if this makes money, with the release in theatres and hbomax. Might end up killing the franchaise.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Chaos Walking: Daisy Ridley and Tom Holland star in this sci-fi thriller that had interesting story lines that suffered from disjointed direction.
From an award winning rrilogy of young adult books. Doubtful this will get any sequel traction.
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Currently watching several things with my partner. Started on "Lie to Me" yesterday and watched the first seven episodes up to the time I headed home this afternoon. It is a very interesting show, a crime drama where the main cast spot the slightest facial expressions etc to detect when a person is lying.

Also, we are 1/3 the way through Stargate Atlantis. I absolutely love SG-1, but had only seen a scattering of Atlantis despite owning the DVD boxset for the last couple of years, so took them to my partner's to watch with them.

I am also trying to watch "Star Trek: Lower Decks" but I am not really feeling it. Watching that at home on my own intermittently.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I rewatched Captain America: The First Avenger. And I actually really liked it. Chris Evans and Sebastian Stan did great jobs as Steve and Bucky. I loved the action, and just overall a really good and fun movie.