Strange Musings

A place to hang out and chat about whatever
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Strange Musings

Post by T'Pau »

Types of food that can really tear up the mouth/palate (in descending order of damage):

Apple Jacks Cereal
All varieties of Captain Crunch Cereal
Froot Loops Cereal
Trix Cereal
and for a non cereal entry...all Cheetos or other puffed cheese snack food
an oldie but goody...Pop Rocks

Feel free to add to or make your own list (I did not include the scalding options here, can do another list)
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Strange Musings

Post by McAvoy »

I don't eat cereal that much. Just grape nuts because I happen to like them.

That burn or tinge you feel when you eat pineapple? Yeah the pineapple is trying to breakdown your mouth the same way your stomach does.

Biting into apples is a good way of breaking off caps, vineers or whatever on your teeth. That's all I got for fruit.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

I like Grape Nuts too...on yogurt with berries!

Yeah, pineapple tickle...that's what makes it such a great addition to marinades.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Random musing for me is how much modern food has evolved.

Think about even 40 or 50 years ago there were a ton of dishes made from jello. Basically anything you can think of, meat, veggies whatever was thrown in it and served. Something that no one would serve unless it was fruit. Even the varieties of things. Like fruit juice. There is every flavor imaginable of every different combinations. Especially with the internet that allows anyone to share and improve or tinker with a recipe.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

I had to Google "Grape Nuts", I thought it was some kind of genetically modified hybrid of a grape and an almond or something.

Food has changed quite significantly even in the last 20-30 years, with so much more variety.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:25 pm I had to Google "Grape Nuts", I thought it was some kind of genetically modified hybrid of a grape and an almond or something.

Food has changed quite significantly even in the last 20-30 years, with so much more variety.
Not a well known cereal. Usually used on ice cream as a crunchy... Topping.

So here is another random musing. Flashlights. Remember when you used to look into flashlights to see how bright they are? Can't do it now with Led flashlights.

My aunt several years ago had a random musing about flashlights too that stuck with me. Men have a fascination with how bright flashlights are. Brighter the better and how happy a man gets the brighter it is. Walk around with a flashlight at night and see how many men say 'that's a nice light'.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Which is worse, for pure molten scalding the roof off your mouth damage:

Bubbling hot pizza right from the oven OR Steaming hot baked potato right from the oven?

Maybe you know of something even more destructive?!?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

T'Pau wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:58 pm Which is worse, for pure molten scalding the roof off your mouth damage:

Bubbling hot pizza right from the oven OR Steaming hot baked potato right from the oven?

Maybe you know of something even more destructive?!?
Mashed potatoes. Because that's like napalm that sticks to you. But cheese is like that too.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Mashed potatoes...yes, no matter how to try to move the burning mass around in your mouth, you are gonna lose some skin!
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Well, I don't know about mashed potato, since technically during its mashing time it's no longer being heated up... but I DO know about Pizza.. given It's my dinner most days (I work six days delivering pizza on late/close shifts so I get a 9" free).
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:49 am Well, I don't know about mashed potato, since technically during its mashing time it's no longer being heated up... but I DO know about Pizza.. given It's my dinner most days (I work six days delivering pizza on late/close shifts so I get a 9" free).
Different ways of cooking but you can definitely have lava like mashed potatoes. Especially if you do the instant kind.

Another one I know is the cup of noodles ramen. I know many like me nuke the cup with thd water in it which makes it unbearably hot. Correct way is to put hot water in it instead and let it sit for ten minutes.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Oh yes, ramen! Dorm room tiny hot pot cooking up ramen on the run between classes...impossible to hoover it down as it is boiling hot but you do anyway! Those were the days...lol
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

T'Pau wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:19 pm Oh yes, ramen! Dorm room tiny hot pot cooking up ramen on the run between classes...impossible to hoover it down as it is boiling hot but you do anyway! Those were the days...lol
I still eat them. It's a nice snack even though it takes awhile to cool down.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Me too! Especially with the pandemic...I had a bunch stashed in my 'emergency kit' that I put together after hurricane Irene, just before super storm Sandy. I keep all that type of easy quick stuff on hand.

Oh..another notable scald item: canned ravioli (also from the e-kit). It goes from needing more microwave time to needing a skin graft on your hard palate!