Firepower and shield strengrh

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Firepower and shield strengrh

Post by McAvoy »

So I did some counting and measuring.

In alternate universe in season 1, a shot from a Ha'tak was measured to be 200 megatons. Though in the next couple of episodes Stargate Command/USA fires off two one gigaton plus missiles at the same ships in the regular timeline. To me they looked like they impacted without ddetonating.

Anyway, later in the series I was able to more or less figure out that Ha'tak can take about 20-25 shots before being destroyed. The big ship Aphosis had could do it in about four or six.

I have to rewatch the episode where Anubis with a his ship fully powered by the Infinity Stones, managed to destroy System Lord Ha'taks pretty quick.

Then we got the Ori. One shot one kill with the main weapon with the Ha'taks. Earth ships with Asgard derived shields could take at least two hits. Though scenes show the ship possibly taking further hits maybe not by the main weapon.

Ori ship can fire smaller bolts like the Ha'tak but much faster. Looks to be about 20 that destroyed the one Ha'tak.

Just my observations so far.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Firepower and shield strengrh

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Thing is, I don't know if this is correct, but I think for the end of season 1, the attempt to destroy the hataks failed because the shields caused the missiles to be destroyed *without* detonating to release their potential as a gigaton weapon. as in, no Nuclear reaction being triggered by their destruction, given how the shields may work.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:03 am Thing is, I don't know if this is correct, but I think for the end of season 1, the attempt to destroy the hataks failed because the shields caused the missiles to be destroyed *without* detonating to release their potential as a gigaton weapon. as in, no Nuclear reaction being triggered by their destruction, given how the shields may work.
I think that is a general consensus that you are correct.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

The Ha'tak shot is delivering most of its damage in a single direction. The nuke is doing a 360 detonation.

So even if the nukes did detonate, only half of the explosive strength is pointed at the target
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Coalition wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:08 pm The Ha'tak shot is delivering most of its damage in a single direction. The nuke is doing a 360 detonation.

So even if the nukes did detonate, only half of the explosive strength is pointed at the target
Besides that, the impact looks exactly like a conventional missile going off on the shields which is why it is suggested that they impacted against the shields before going off. I believe there is a statement about the potential of having shields on the Ha'taks. I think when they reported when they hit the shield that they impacted against something.

Basically the scene plays off as nukes didn't go off because they were programmed to explode closer to the hull or impact of something solid and not an energy shield.

You can argue though later missiles 303 and 304 uses are programmed better.
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I vaguely recall mention of something meant to get the missiles past shields, but don't recall any use of such, or atleast successful... there weren't actually that many space engagements prior to the fall of the Goa'uld.

Off the top of my head... Season 6 finale, where they went to abydos while Daniel was an ascended trying to help them, they sent an (X-?) F-302 through the 'gate in pieces, assembled it on planet and launched an assault to take out part of the superweapon, using the 302's onboard naquadria-powered Hyperdrive That Never Got Mentioned Ever Again to bypass the shields, in a 'get past the physical space from so-far-away to closer-than-where-the-shields-are' ... BASICALLY they pulled off a certain manoeuvre that was featured in a big-budget turd and it actually MADE MORE SENSE, because they had already had experience (from the beginning of season 6) with short Hyperspace jumps. vs mr "yeah I know about the issue with the shield I'll just randomly pull back at the PERFECT TIME without planning it out!')... They pulled it off BETTER and MORE SENSIBLY and most IMPORTANTLY, They Pulled it off FIRST. So The Stargate O'Neill Manoeuvre was pulled off in STAR WARS, not the HAN Manoeuvre. *blows a raspberry at star wars*

Then.... there was Lost City, end of Season 7..

Infact, did the Prometheus actually DO any fighting against the Goa'uld? The Daedalus' first run was to Atlantis, post-Fall-of-Goa'ulds.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:17 am I vaguely recall mention of something meant to get the missiles past shields, but don't recall any use of such, or atleast successful... there weren't actually that many space engagements prior to the fall of the Goa'uld.

Off the top of my head... Season 6 finale, where they went to abydos while Daniel was an ascended trying to help them, they sent an (X-?) F-302 through the 'gate in pieces, assembled it on planet and launched an assault to take out part of the superweapon, using the 302's onboard naquadria-powered Hyperdrive That Never Got Mentioned Ever Again to bypass the shields, in a 'get past the physical space from so-far-away to closer-than-where-the-shields-are' ... BASICALLY they pulled off a certain manoeuvre that was featured in a big-budget turd and it actually MADE MORE SENSE, because they had already had experience (from the beginning of season 6) with short Hyperspace jumps. vs mr "yeah I know about the issue with the shield I'll just randomly pull back at the PERFECT TIME without planning it out!')... They pulled it off BETTER and MORE SENSIBLY and most IMPORTANTLY, They Pulled it off FIRST. So The Stargate O'Neill Manoeuvre was pulled off in STAR WARS, not the HAN Manoeuvre. *blows a raspberry at star wars*

Then.... there was Lost City, end of Season 7..

Infact, did the Prometheus actually DO any fighting against the Goa'uld? The Daedalus' first run was to Atlantis, post-Fall-of-Goa'ulds.
Maybe I will go and look into the episode 1st or 2nd season when they launched those super nukes. But I do think they were not planning on the ships having shields. Or they did. I know Hammond mentioned it. It's possible if they did account for the shields they where the shields would be as far away from the ship itself. Like I said the SFX looks like a conventional missile hitting shields.

Prometheus never faces any kind of success against Ha'taks. The weapons just wasn't there to do any kind of damage but they had Asgard shields. They are probably weaker than a 304. We do know a 304 can take at least two hits from the Ori primary weapon before being destroyed. It's possible the Korolev was also being hit by the smaller Ori weapons during this time. Ha'tak withstood the primary weapon for all one second before failing. I also estimated the Ha'tak could about 20 or so of the smaller weapons. Maybe slightly less. The Ori smaller weapon though fired faster than the Ha'tak.

The O'Neill maneuver was a one time thing I guess. Maybe because the SGC gave up on the hyperdrive for the 302, so the production version didn't have them. Not sure if that was ever showed for them to still have it. Especially if their source of power generation was the wacky naquadah which is limited supply.
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Only twice to my recollection did the 302 have a hyperdrive, and I'm pretty sure they were the open and close episodes for season 6.

Sam and O'Neill taking the Antarctic Gate away when Anubis was using a particle weapon on it.
- (the Giza one had been beamed up by the asgard in the season 3 finale, and they put the antarctica one in the SGC, the Giza gate was then found while they were looking for the wreckage of their sub they lost from the replicator infestation that resulted from a single replicator surviving the events of said season 3 finale. The Giza Gate was then, after the season 6 opener, 'loaned' back to the SGC from the Russians who legally salvaged it fair and square. Therefore it is the Giza Gate that laid in the SGC from season 1 through 3, then 6-onward.)

Oh, sorry Season 7 opener, not season 6 closer. Thought it was above Abydos, but actually above Vis uban, where Daniel descended (the first time).
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I agree. I am almost close to Atlantis in my rewatch process. I am in Season 10 right after Jackson got captured by Deadpool's girlfriend.

I don't think in Atlantis they used a hypdrive either.

So honestly that was removed out of the production version of the vehicle. Maybe they got systems still on place for it but I find it unlikely.

I know they introduced the Daedalus for Atlantis and then SG-1 followed. I honestly think to this day they could have introduced a 302B that was more streamlined for Atlantis and then SG-1 too. But that is me.