Today I Watched...

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Today I Watched...

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

AlexMcpherson79 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 3:56 am Laugh? What is... this?
Varthikes wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 4:59 am Those who laugh do so to keep themselves from crying out in anguish.

I’m glad at some level, we’re all on the same page of this situation.

On the other hand. It’s a great time to meet new and exciting people! Online I mean! Lol. And something else to watch for in 7-8 months from now, there should be a massive rise in childbirth rates. Everyone’s trapped indoors. Partners get bored and frisky. Just a fact of life.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

The Happy Days of Garry Marshall

A retrospective of his work, peppered with actors commentary. Narrated mostly by GM himself.

Touching and full of nostalgia!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Finally watched The Hobbit The Battle of the Five Armies. I saw the first two in theaters when they first came out. But for me, The Hobbit really just didn't hold my interest any longer to see the third. I actually didn't care about the Dwarfs and only Gandalf's side quests interested me.

I actually had to re-watch the first two because I knew I would be lost.

The whole trilogy is a bloated mess. Unlike Lord of the Rings, I don't think anyone really cared about the Dwarfs. I mean good luck trying to figure out who is who. Dwarf prince isn't interesting enough to like him in any kind of way especially in the last movie. Gandalf and Bilbo you knew were surviving because everyone in the world saw Lord of the Rings.

All in all, only thing interesting was the appearance of Sauron in his still weakened state.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

McAvoy wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:19 pm Finally watched The Hobbit The Battle of the Five Armies. I saw the first two in theaters when they first came out. But for me, The Hobbit really just didn't hold my interest any longer to see the third. I actually didn't care about the Dwarfs and only Gandalf's side quests interested me.

I actually had to re-watch the first two because I knew I would be lost.

The whole trilogy is a bloated mess. Unlike Lord of the Rings, I don't think anyone really cared about the Dwarfs. I mean good luck trying to figure out who is who. Dwarf prince isn't interesting enough to like him in any kind of way especially in the last movie. Gandalf and Bilbo you knew were surviving because everyone in the world saw Lord of the Rings.

All in all, only thing interesting was the appearance of Sauron in his still weakened state.
I couldn't agree more.

I've seen Lord of the Rings in theaters, all three movies, own them on DVD. I love them. And I've read the original stories more than once, mind. They did a great job adapting the books to cinema, IMHO.

The Hobbit... no. Not really. I saw the first one in theaters... and some of the other two here and there on TV. Like you said, I do NOT care about the dwarfs. I didn't really care about the romance between Tauriel and... Filli? Killi? I don't remember nor care which one it was. Both were pretty interchangeable.

I am glad the LOTR movies were made and I experienced them in theaters. I can't say the same about the Hobbit movies.
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Both of you should watch the HISHE for these movies on YouTube. Spectacularly funny in pointing out all the plot holes or comical stuff that could’ve, would’ve, should’ve happened.
Example for enjoyment! (They’re all short like this -> shorter and a lot of reviews have commented on how accurate these creators are in their videos).
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

00111010 01000100 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 5:48 am Both of you should watch the HISHE for these movies on YouTube. Spectacularly funny in pointing out all the plot holes or comical stuff that could’ve, would’ve, should’ve happened.
Example for enjoyment! (They’re all short like this -> shorter and a lot of reviews have commented on how accurate these creators are in their videos).
Ooh, haven't seen that one yet. :D I do love HISHE.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Apollo 13

Always a fun movie to watch; still among my favorites.

I recently had an urge to watch it again as I was working on a Lego model of the Saturn V rocket.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Varthikes wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:55 pm Apollo 13

I recently had an urge to watch it again as I was working on a Lego model of the Saturn V rocket.
Have you watched The Right Stuff? Similar to most space race movies. Lots of talent, lots of history. Like Apollo 13, decent flick. :)
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

00111010 01000100 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:08 am
Varthikes wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:55 pm Apollo 13

Have you watched The Right Stuff? Similar to most space race movies. Lots of talent, lots of history. Like Apollo 13, decent flick. :)
Yeah, I've seen it, and I really enjoyed it. October Sky is another great one, about Sputnik inspiring a group of boys in a West Virginian mining town into rocketry. One I haven't seen yet is First Man, but it's on my list. Someday, I ought to do an Early Space Age movie marathon.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Hackers (1995)

At the time it came out, all the computer jargon and ways to 'beat the system' were so foreign in concept. Roller blading the streets of NYC was huge for all types of folks (some of us stuck to hallways, learning how to stop...awesome failure, goodbye blades) and wacky nicknames were all the rage. Fun film with some actors that were little known and well known.

Skip ahead 25yrs: tech has advanced so much that the jargon seems silly, roller blading still is popular in parks mostly, and nicknames are mostly on forums. Couple of the actors have Oscars, one an Olivier award for theatre, one married and had kids with Jenny from the Block (J-Lo), and others have crossed the rainbow bridge. Still a fun, yet outdated film...a total guilty pleasure every time!
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Young Frankenstein (1974)

I've seen this many many times, and can recite most of the main gag lines by heart. Never gets old!

Pure. Comedic. Genius.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Currently watching Davy Crockett: King of the Wild Frontier. Disney put it out in the 1950's, a huge sensation. It's not... bad. I'd say good. I find it amusing how they play with tall tales even in the movie, with Davy's pal George publishing wild accounts of his tales. For the time, fair to Native Americans too, as in treating them overall like people.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Jason and the Argonauts

Long ago, Graham and I watched all the Harryhausen claymation special effects films.
Jason is my ultimate favorite, largely due to the 3 min sequence at the end, with the crazy skeletons born of the hydra's teeth. The way they stalk so slowly, before screaming and running forward. Makes me laugh every single time!
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

The Electric Horseman (1979)

In the wee hours of the morning during a bout of insomnia, I caught this charming film from the past. There is something slightly magical when you put Robert Redford in a film with horses and/or cowboy hats (Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid, The Horse Whisperer, heck even the carousel horses in The Sting ...to name a few).

He is one of those actors that can make an iffy film, great! An actors actor, and not a slouch at directing/producing!

And truthfully, not assaulting on the eyes either...hubba hubba!
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Notting Hill (1999)

It happened to be on TV and I'd forgotten how much we liked it.
email, ergo spam