Today I Watched...

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Today I Watched...

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

T'Pau wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:17 pm They covered every problem related to the actual device, every mission to repair and/or update components, every astronaut that was part of the program, etc. Super detailed program all the way round.
Nice!
What was it on; (science channel?)
Is it on Netflix?
Amazon?
Discovery channel?
Science channel doesn’t ring any bells.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Here it was ScienceHD, which I think is under the Discovery Network umbrella (directv channel 284, if that helps)
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

The Man From Earth.
A really simple yet great story of a man who has lived for 14,000 years. It was the last story/script from writer Jerome Bixby whom dictated the last of this screenplay to his son, Emerson Bixby.

After Jerome Bixby's death, the script was given to Richard Schenkman to direct on a meager $200,000usd budget, and he filmed it in just 8 days! Now, there has been a follow-on movie and I read there’s a possible re-make in the works but for me, the original is an undiscovered gem.

It hosts a small but brilliant cast (including an actor who would later go on to become Doctor Phlox in ENT) as follows; David Lee Smith, Tony Todd, John Billingsley, Ellen Crawford, Annika Peterson, William Katt, Alexis Thorpe, and Richard Riehle.

As far as movies go, this one is all about the story telling and it winds and drifts back and forth in an almost camp fire ‘ghost story’ manner. At times, you want to believe but at others you find yourself doubtful of the truth the main actor is trying to convince his co-workers of? It’s a wonderful movie and will leave you wondering at the end of it was all a prank or real? (Honestly, I don’t want to ruin the ending as it is revealing in its truths of what the story is really about?). If you haven’t seen it, pop some popcorn and enjoy a momentary break from special effects and huge production values. Listen to the plot as it unfolds as there are keys and hints at both the truths and the lies told. If you’ve seen it, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Bixby has some great script writing in the ST universe as well so.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

00111010 01000100 wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:15 am The Man From Earth.
A really simple yet great story of a man who has lived for 14,000 years. It was the last story/script from writer Jerome Bixby whom dictated the last of this screenplay to his son, Emerson Bixby.

After Jerome Bixby's death, the script was given to Richard Schenkman to direct on a meager $200,000usd budget, and he filmed it in just 8 days! Now, there has been a follow-on movie and I read there’s a possible re-make in the works but for me, the original is an undiscovered gem.

It hosts a small but brilliant cast (including an actor who would later go on to become Doctor Phlox in ENT) as follows; David Lee Smith, Tony Todd, John Billingsley, Ellen Crawford, Annika Peterson, William Katt, Alexis Thorpe, and Richard Riehle.

As far as movies go, this one is all about the story telling and it winds and drifts back and forth in an almost camp fire ‘ghost story’ manner. At times, you want to believe but at others you find yourself doubtful of the truth the main actor is trying to convince his co-workers of? It’s a wonderful movie and will leave you wondering at the end of it was all a prank or real? (Honestly, I don’t want to ruin the ending as it is revealing in its truths of what the story is really about?). If you haven’t seen it, pop some popcorn and enjoy a momentary break from special effects and huge production values. Listen to the plot as it unfolds as there are keys and hints at both the truths and the lies told. If you’ve seen it, I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Bixby has some great script writing in the ST universe as well so.
I was intrigued about it when I read your post, and have discovered that it is available on Amazon Prime Video here in the UK, and so I am now watching it!
“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.”
― Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Just finished watching "The Man From Earth" as mentioned above. I am not much good at writing reviews, and don't want to ruin anything, but it is fascinating and by far the best I have seen in quite some time. I would definitely recommend it.
“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.”
― Captain Jean-Luc Picard
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Funny as ever. Many of the jokes are just as relevant now as they were 45 years ago.

I've also taken the swallow explanation for the coconuts and applied a variation of it to Luke's light-saber in the recent Star Wars movies.

And, call me insensitive, but I've had the "Bring out your dead" scene in mind lately.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Varthikes wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:35 am Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Funny as ever. Many of the jokes are just as relevant now as they were 45 years ago.

I've also taken the swallow explanation for the coconuts and applied a variation of it to Luke's light-saber in the recent Star Wars movies.

And, call me insensitive, but I've had the "Bring out your dead" scene in mind lately.
As some one told me, graveyard humor, so it’s funny.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Today I watched "Underwater" (2020). "Disaster strikes more than six miles below the ocean surface when water crashes through the walls of a drilling station." It's not a good movie nor a bad movie. It is not boring, it's fast paced, so nearly anyone can watch it. The soundtrack moves the pacing. The setting should have been terrifying but, the danger of being so far below the surface didn't resonate with me. Maybe because it was too bright to be scared of what should be a pitch black environment with limited light available. The only reason I will talk about this is the twist, which I will use spoiler tags on.
It is a Cthulhu movie. Now it's not a H.P. Lovecraft movie as it never delves into the hidden nature of the world nor is it aiming to terrify us. It could be 'Cloverfield' with a normal movie point of view. The monster at the end is very reminiscent of Cthulhu in looks. To be scary, we would have needed to see the people going gradually crazy, starting to look out for themselves as either the terror of Cthulhu is slowly revealed or the terror of being under 6 miles of water drives them mad. It wouldn't be clear what causes madness, Cthulhu or being human? But, it's an action movie and focusing more on people surviving things happening to them.
Having said that, I think you should give it a watch. It's an action movie that doesn't ask much of its audience.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Today I watched 'Bumblebee' ...a transformers romp of a different color and volume.

Perhaps I enjoyed it so much because as a younger gal, I too had an old, dilapidated VW Beetle. To this day, still the most fun car I've ever had. It could go anywhere, in any weather (including deep snow), cost practically nothing to run, and if you knew anything about a lawnmower motor, you could fix most engine issues.

Fun film, with some feels along the way...and perfect for a lockdown afternoon!
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

T'Pau wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:27 am Today I watched 'Bumblebee' ...a transformers romp of a different color and volume.

Perhaps I enjoyed it so much because as a younger gal, I too had an old, dilapidated VW Beetle. To this day, still the most fun car I've ever had. It could go anywhere, in any weather (including deep snow), cost practically nothing to run, and if you knew anything about a lawnmower motor, you could fix most engine issues.

lol, and if the belt ever wore out and broke, you could just use a rubber band to get it going again! I’ve heard they were hard to kill. Once they started having serious issues though, you were better off getting a new engine but you could run the original motors into the ground before they’d die.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

T'Pau wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:27 am Today I watched 'Bumblebee' ...a transformers romp of a different color and volume.

I love that movie so damned much. I think it's the best of the Transformers movies by far. And that includes the 1986 movie.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Totally agree!!!
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Underwater (2020): another Kristen Stewart adventure in how to use her one dimensional acting technique to ruin everything she touches!

Copy 'The Abyss' (a guilty pleasure movie fav of mine) plot line, toss in oogidy boogidy instead of cool looking jelly aliens, and prepare to cringe!

Take out credits, and it runs under 90mins...which is FAR too long.
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

T'Pau wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:05 pm Underwater (2020): another Kristen Stewart adventure in how to use her one dimensional acting technique to ruin everything she touches!

Copy 'The Abyss' (a guilty pleasure movie fav of mine) plot line, toss in oogidy boogidy instead of cool looking jelly aliens, and prepare to cringe!

Take out credits, and it runs under 90mins...which is FAR too long.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 can’t help but love your writing and perspective. <One-dimensional acting> Ah. Priceless.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

If you like “The Abyss” you should try “Deep Blue Sea”. Although I suspect you’ve seen it.
email, ergo spam