Earliest Roasted Root Vegetables Dated to 170,000 Years Ago

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Earliest Roasted Root Vegetables Dated to 170,000 Years Ago

Post by Nutso »

https://www.newscientist.com/article/22 ... cave-dirt/
Charred fragments found in 170,000-year-old ashes in a cave in southern Africa are the earliest roasted root vegetables yet found. The finding suggest the real “paleo diet” included lots of roasted vegetables rich in carbohydrates, similar to modern potatoes.

“I think people were eating a very balanced diet, a combination of carbohydrates and proteins,” says team leader Lyn Wadley of the University of the Witwatersrand in South Africa.

In 2016, her team found dozens of bits of charcoal in an ash layer in the Border cave in South Africa. This ash layer is what is left from the fires of early people.

Seeds of root vegetables and other plants have found at an 800,000-year-old site in Israel where early humans lived, but Wadley’s find is the earliest clear evidence of roasting.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Earliest Roasted Root Vegetables Dated to 170,000 Years Ago

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

I love these little tidbits of historical info! :)
My favorites have always been the OOPArt’s or those pesky out-of-place artifacts of Objects that challenge the historical chronology of archaeological and/or paleontological context. Those things which do not conform to conventional history, by its mere presence. Basically, something that doesn’t fit in the nice, neat mold We’ve all been raised and educated to understand, as if it were a doctrine and not an science with ever-changing discoveries and re-writes.

Scoff are my religious overtones but I scoff at taught history every time something new comes to light which contradicts all our textbooks and teaching of prehistory and the very earliest beginnings of mankind. Lol, okay. All blah aside, I’ve been a fan on a book called “Forbidden History” for years now. I can barely read a chapter without shaking my head in disbelief, digging through the internet and online libraries to find out if what the chapter claimed is true or an hoax.

The earliest roasted food you say? So how long before that were people just eating the vegetables and food by placing it on stones by the fire or other lesser means of cooking food? How long before that were humans harvesting vegetables as gatherers. 150k years ago? 300k years ago? Geological upheaval tends to destroy most fossils records or places them in different strata locations, creating a false sense of historical timelines in which it was supposed to be found. Nuff said.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

I too love the information, what gets me is the surprise of the "learned class" at the discovery. We are talking about a species of critter that will eat anything that doesn't poison it (and maybe a few things that do).
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

Vic wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:19 am I too love the information, what gets me is the surprise of the "learned class" at the discovery. We are talking about a species of critter that will eat anything that doesn't poison it (and maybe a few things that do).
? A new species that’s a true Omnivore?
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”