Askad-Hastella class dreadnought

Graham's Coalition Universe stuff
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Askad-Hastella class dreadnought

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So I was contemplating the matchup between my Kororra class and the Type 25 dreadnought. Whilst the Kororra could probably take on a Type 25 on a "quality over size" basis, I started wondering what a Coalition response to the Type 25 could be. I started thinking about the Montana class battleships, which were basically an Iowa class with an extra triple turret, increasing the firepower by 33.3%. So I figured what if you took Kororra weapons and tech and put more of them onto a bigger hull. Thus was born the Askad-Hastella class. I'm not sure if this is part of the "real" Coalition universe, as I'd always pictured the Kororra as their biggest and most powerful ship. It could just be a flight of fancy that never gets built, just like the Montana.

But here it is. It's rather... extreme! Click to embiggen.

Forward ventral turrets. No less than five forward-facing Mark 21 triple turrets. AMP cannon are Antimatter/Matter Particle cannon, which fire a beam of exotic antimatter and matter particles which converge on the target. Hence one cannon has two barrels, one for the antimatter stream and one for the matter stream. So despite having six barrels, these are actually triple turrets.

Note also the secondary turrets flanking the main ones. Most secondary armament on Coalition battleships are Mark 5, or Mark 6 - equivalent to 5 or 6 inch guns on a real battleship. These are Mark 10. So this ship is equivalent to a real world battleship with 21 inch main guns and 10 inch secondaries :

The bow. The Askad-Hastella uses the same rifters as the Kororra class. Rifters create rifts between normal space and midspace, the Coalition universe equivalent of the usual hyperspace/subspace. The smaller rifters create small rifts and allow the AMP cannon to fire between the two. This allows them to fire at FTL speeds over immense ranges. The Mark 21 cannon can fire at targets up to 4.5 light years away, meaning it could sit in the Alpha Centuri system and bombard Earth :

The aft end. Again, the same sublight engines as the Kororra class, just more of them :

A Askad-Hastella beside a Kororra class. The Hastella is rather obviously much larger, so as to support huge numbers of guns :

A Kororra, Type 25 and Askad-Hastella together :

Bow on views of the Kororra class (left), Type 25 (centre) and Askad-Hastella (right) :

Another bow view, this time of the dorsal surface. Note how many tertiary cannon are on the Hastella compared to the other ships; these vessels can put out a massive flak barrage to defend against small craft :

Another comparison shot. The Kororra class are 5.9 kilometres long. The Type 25, 7.31 km. The Askad-Hastella are a massive 9.43 km :

Annnnd the obligatory size comparison shots with other sci-fi ships. I didn't build the Star Destroyer, if I recall right it came from BlendSwap. Again - the Coalition universe is not the Star Wars universe, so this is just for fun :

The classic comparison... an Askad-Hastella beside a Constitution class. Again - these don't share a universe, it's just for fun :

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Askad-Hastella class dreadnought

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Always great to see more of your universe Graham. I also keep an eye on your deviant art site to see more. Great stuff. She is quite the beast.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Tinadrin Chelnor wrote:Always great to see more of your universe Graham. I also keep an eye on your deviant art site to see more. Great stuff. She is quite the beast.
Hiya, and thanks a lot. She is enormous, to be sure. Coalition ships tend to be. In some ways I like the older designs, they're more manageable!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Any progress with the Mets story? Or have you settled on this being lure world building?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.