Midway - Spoilers.. Um yeah..

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Midway - Spoilers.. Um yeah..

Post by McAvoy »

Spoilers below if you never read any WW2 history.

Anyway, saw it last night. Outside small very small things this has to be one of the most historically accurate films I have seen.

Pearl Harbor was done well. Though offhand I can't remember after the Arizona was hit and her whole bow was blown off that she started to turn over. I always thought she sunk very quickly and evenly.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Midway - Spoilers.. Um yeah..

Post by Vic »

The Arizona dropped straight to the bottom, you can still see her barbettes.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Vic wrote:The Arizona dropped straight to the bottom, you can still see her barbettes.
Of course. I am talking about the movie. They have her listing and going down slowly.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Didn't know there was a WW2 movie out... Am I just not watching enough TV?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nutso wrote:Didn't know there was a WW2 movie out... Am I just not watching enough TV?
Apparently. I only found out about the movie a few weeks ago and thought it looked good. A few people at work saw it and said it is really good. Even historical accurate.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Haven't seen it, because my reaction was along the lines of "this could be really great, but it will probably be full of overblown patriotism/heroism and suck. Like Pearl Harbor did." Fair or not, I just didn't trust present-day Hollywood to do a film like this properly.

I'll watch it on TV at some point.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Haven't seen it, because my reaction was along the lines of "this could be really great, but it will probably be full of overblown patriotism/heroism and suck. Like Pearl Harbor did." Fair or not, I just didn't trust present-day Hollywood to do a film like this properly.

I'll watch it on TV at some point.
No it had none of that. I mean there are aspects where the American sailors and soldiers wanting to know when or where they will strike back at the Japanese. But at the same time you saw morale very low.

There was very little of the Michael Bay sort of patriotism, if there was any at all.

The movie is like I said very accurate and everything about it is true.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

If you want the other side, here is Midway from the Japanese perspective:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd8_vO5zrjo
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)