Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Space-Food History (Star Trek Lore)

Post by McAvoy »

My major gripe about ENT is the overall feel on making it too much like TNG in tech and not going the extra distance (and Logical) making them have truly primitive weapons. Lasers, armor actual food stores, no transporters, etc.

NX class most of its internal volume is in the saucer and has only 80+ crew. I liked that implying that the tech on board is bulky. But feeding 80+ people is pretty damned easy for extended missions.

When I was in the Navy, carriers had two galleys (kitchens) the forward one is used only when the air wing was on board. On my first deployment, I was put on kitchen patrol. The amount of food to feed thousands of people fit in store rooms no bigger than a car garage, smaller in fact. And that is to feed thousands. You could easily feed 80+ people with a handful of store rooms that size for at least a year. And that is with today's tech.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Ian and I toured a Foxtrot class submarine once. The galley there fed 74 men. The galley was approximately 3 feet on a side. Conditions were described as "luxurious" compared to WWII boats.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Ian and I toured a Foxtrot class submarine once. The galley there fed 74 men. The galley was approximately 3 feet on a side. Conditions were described as "luxurious" compared to WWII boats.
Exactly. One person can easily cook food for half the crew for 12 hours. You would basically have two or three people cooking for the whole crew easily with no issue.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"