"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Funny pics

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well, it's not wrong...
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

:roll:

Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That's just a waste of metal to be honest. But obviously it was done as a proof of concept.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Nutso wrote: Image
Okay, I know I'm gonna sound like an idiot, but I've got to ask. What is this? I mean, I know what it is, but... why did they remove the top part of the truck, hook wheels up to it like that, and the engine? Is this some abstract art sculpture?
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

It's called "stancing" where you have the wheel pointed at an angle from under the wheel well.
I've learned there is no practical reason for this, just form over function.

The previous example I posted is just extreme. It looks 0% functional, 110% form. A midget would have to bend down to get in. Honestly, it looks like crap to me but, they'll do what they do, I'll do me.
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nutso wrote:It's called "stancing" where you have the wheel pointed at an angle from under the wheel well.

The previous example I posted is just extreme. It looks 0% functional, 110% form. A midget would have to bend down to get in. Honestly, it looks like crap to me but, they'll do what they do, I'll do me.
That's exactly what it is. It's a fad in automotive culture. Problem with these sort of setups is that they produce alot of strain on the system and constantly breakdown. There is no performance advantages to these sort of things.

When I was in the Navy there was a guy who had a truck that could raise itself up and down. Problem was that it was constantly broke down. I think he drove it maybe a dozen times before he eventually sold it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Nothing in the world seems as pointless and stupid as other people's hobbies.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Nothing in the world seems as pointless and stupid as other people's hobbies.
Not entirely. If you are a Trek fan you would be considered perfectly normal here for example. If you are a science fiction fan you would be normal if you liked Trek.

However, within the car enthusiasts alot of people do not like it. In fact there is so much widespread interests in that hobby field you could break it down in sub categories of different categories. You got groups who like to 'modernize' old classic cars whereas that would be blasphemy for people who like to restore classic cars to their original specifications. Just a tip of the iceberg
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

McAvoy wrote:
Nutso wrote:It's called "stancing" where you have the wheel pointed at an angle from under the wheel well.

That's exactly what it is. It's a fad in automotive culture. Problem with these sort of setups is that they produce alot of strain on the system and constantly breakdown. There is no performance advantages to these sort of things.

When I was in the Navy there was a guy who had a truck that could raise itself up and down. Problem was that it was constantly broke down. I think he drove it maybe a dozen times before he eventually sold it.
I thank you both for your answers. :) That car in that pic, it hurts to look at and imagine hearing the scraping of its undercarriage against the road!