Notre-Dame is burning

In the real world
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Notre-Dame is burning

Post by Captain Seafort »

Beeb

Spire down, roof down, windows gone, one of the towers threatened, although the main structure is apparently safe.

Jesus wept. Possibly literally.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Notre-Dame is burning

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Not just Jesus. This is a tragedy for all humanity.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I didn't know Notre-Dame was real. There's the American College Football University but, they're the Notre Dame Fightin' Irish. Sucks to see history go down like that.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

I was at a bar and someone mentioned 'tragedy about Notre-Dame'. And one guy said, "They lost a game?" The rest of us just looked at him. Then the bartender told him it had caught fire and was almost completely destroyed.

Then he said, "I didn't know that, the mood got real sober so I thought I'd tell a joke."
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I heard about it when it was happening. I was at work and I mentioned it. 50/50 people cared.

For me, I am not religious at all. Hell I am the opposite of it. I am 99% there is no God. But the historical significance of it, the culture, the history, the engineering of it all is just devastating.

It will be rebuilt but never the same. The spire will be built but it will not be built by men and women centuries past but of modern Era. This is like if someone pushed David into the ground. He can be fixed but never the same.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

McAvoy wrote:I heard about it when it was happening. I was at work and I mentioned it. 50/50 people cared.

For me, I am not religious at all. Hell I am the opposite of it. I am 99% there is no God. But the historical significance of it, the culture, the history, the engineering of it all is just devastating.

It will be rebuilt but never the same. The spire will be built but it will not be built by men and women centuries past but of modern Era. This is like if someone pushed David into the ground. He can be fixed but never the same.
You say that, but the did a pretty excellent job with York Minster, when that did the same thing.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:I heard about it when it was happening. I was at work and I mentioned it. 50/50 people cared.

Well, the spire was from the 19th century, and there's been a lot of rebuilding and renovating of it over the years. This is just another chapter in that book.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Funny to think that 500 years from now they'll be talking about what a great old ancient building it is, and tour guides will be saying stuff like "Now here's the new spire - it's called that because it's only five hundred years old! Of course this was built after a fire damaged the building badly in the early twenty first century. Now moving on..."
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Graham Kennedy wrote:Funny to think that 500 years from now they'll be talking about what a great old ancient building it is, and tour guides will be saying stuff like "Now here's the new spire - it's called that because it's only five hundred years old! Of course this was built after a fire damaged the building badly in the early twenty first century. Now moving on..."
Yup. It's just one more event in Notre Dame's life. A rather big event, but one of a series.