Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: "Why Commander Riker is Just the Worst"

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

Well, I was never a fan of his really. Barring the few times he actually showed some sort of promise as an supporting actor (example: challenges data’s rights as a sentient being and then afterwards, didn’t feel as if he deserved to be at a party celebrating data’s winning the decision and not being torn down to his positrons). Other than those few moments, he literally is in the show to display ALL of kirks vices! Womanizing, gloating, egotism, self righteousness, ect. Also keep in mind that he doesn’t just turn down the captains chair over and over again, he turns down becoming a gd Q??? Like what. The. Spock. Is. Wrong. With. You!! Seriously though, I don’t think he turned down all those new positions as captain or Q because of fear or stagnation. I think it’s simpler than that. If he had as a character, his career on the show would’ve ended. He wanted to keep making those sweet, sweet paychecks as startreks Next Gen. first officer.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I agree. Those premise is that he is turning down appointments as captain of a ship so he can command the Enterprise was very thin in itself.

If Starfleet operated similar to real world navies (aside from the fact military appointments only last for four or five years tops but more like 2 years). He would have had to command a ship and prove himself he is capable. Then he could be assigned to the Enterprise or another Galaxy class ship like her. Even then, he would have to fight that with the rest of thd cream of the crop Captains.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

It all makes sense!
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.