THE Klingon Starship.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Klingon Starships- The D7 Battlecruiser

Post by McAvoy »

Unique for its time, even more so that the Enterprise. Enterprise was still basically a saucer and two rocket engines. This was different.

Though the long neck bugged me. At least there was more to the neck of the Enterprise and had some protection by the saucer and engineering hull. D-7's neck is out in the open and even thinner.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

McAvoy wrote:Unique for its time, even more so that the Enterprise. Enterprise was still basically a saucer and two rocket engines. This was different.

Though the long neck bugged me. At least there was more to the neck of the Enterprise and had some protection by the saucer and engineering hull. D-7's neck is out in the open and even thinner.
That always bugged me, too. it's like the Nebulon-B frigate from SW.

It's a big and obvious target.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Agreed. One of few things that I liked about SW VII was that they showed the 'decapitation' of a variant of the ship.

You'd think a culture of warriors would make sure their ship wouldn't have such weaknesses. I mean even if you say it could be the most armored of shielded part of the ship, it just makes no sense. No you thicken the neck or you shorten the neck or or have no such long neck to begin with.

I'd imagine TOS captains would be trained to target the neck. It would be a effective non kill shot.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

McAvoy wrote:Agreed. One of few things that I liked about SW VII was that they showed the 'decapitation' of a variant of the ship.
We seen that in ST: Beyond too and it was awes...sad! :D
You'd think a culture of warriors would make sure their ship wouldn't have such weaknesses. I mean even if you say it could be the most armored of shielded part of the ship, it just makes no sense. No you thicken the neck or you shorten the neck or or have no such long neck to begin with.
I'd imagine TOS captains would be trained to target the neck. It would be a effective non kill shot.
The point is the purpose of that link, if the engineering section and the disk can be attacked why aren't they are directly attacked? the neck is underused volume that can also generate a whole series of other problems, including a greater volume to defend ...
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
DSG2k
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by DSG2k »

Aren't there real warrior cultures that kept their hair long as a mark of courage and fearlessness, given its potential to be grabbed in battle?

Perhaps the Klingons thought of necked ships similarly to long hair.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

DSG2k wrote:Aren't there real warrior cultures that kept their hair long as a mark of courage and fearlessness, given its potential to be grabbed in battle?

Perhaps the Klingons thought of necked ships similarly to long hair.
Perhaps. And it wouldn't be a big deal on a ship like the Vorcha class which is far larger but that next on the D-7 is so thin that they could be one shot killed. Imagine the kind of damage the Reliant was doing to the E-nil's neck onto the neck of a D-7.

The damage to the E-nil basically destroyed that whole torpedo launcher on that side. I could imagine a D-7 have such structural issues from that damage that they would be dead in the water in fear of it breaking off.