State an Unpopular Opinion

Everything else
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: State an Unpopular Opinion

Post by Bryan Moore »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:I know there are plenty of boards where feeling has been expressed that "Wait, the Empire built the Death Star (x2) and yet some "over-sized teddy bear" savages brought down a galactic power. It's like if the Native Americans drove back WWII-era technology America off the continent and back to Europe. It is quite silly - I won't even pretend otherwise.
It's essentially a metaphor for the Vietnam war. The techno-superpower defeated by relatively primitive natives whose big advantage is that they know the forest better? Yeah, pretty obvious what that's about.

Maybe that touches a nerve with some people too.
See, I had thought this for years and this was even mentioned in US History back in high school, but I then remember seeing an interview with Lawrence Kasdan maybe a few years back who insisted it wasn't directly intended as a Vietnam metaphor, but for the audience to draw whatever conclusion it wishes. I am google searching this interview now, to no avail.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well, death of the author and all that.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I've never found Deadpool to be.. entertaining. I just don't get him overall. The guy just doesn't click for me.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I've never found Deadpool to be.. entertaining. I just don't get him overall. The guy just doesn't click for me.
I feel the same about Wolverine. Love the claws, though.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

In Friends, Ross was a terrible, terrible human being. He didn't actually love Rachel, and his behaviour towards her was almost universally nasty and spiteful. He constantly belittled her and the things she cared about, and regarded himself as being far smarter and better than she was.

Joey, on the other hand, genuinely cared for her and was a far, far better relationship partner for her. The show should have kept that going and forgotten about the whole Ross/Rachel thing.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:In Friends, Ross was a terrible, terrible human being. He didn't actually love Rachel, and his behaviour towards her was almost universally nasty and spiteful. He constantly belittled her and the things she cared about, and regarded himself as being far smarter and better than she was.

Joey, on the other hand, genuinely cared for her and was a far, far better relationship partner for her. The show should have kept that going and forgotten about the whole Ross/Rachel thing.
That's not an unpopular opinion though. From what I have seen is that it's the general consensus among the fans.

Monica is annoying though.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

McAvoy wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:In Friends, Ross was a terrible, terrible human being. He didn't actually love Rachel, and his behaviour towards her was almost universally nasty and spiteful. He constantly belittled her and the things she cared about, and regarded himself as being far smarter and better than she was.

That's not an unpopular opinion though. From what I have seen is that it's the general consensus among the fans.

It is? I can't say I hang out with Friends fans very much. Oh well.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
McAvoy wrote:

Ross has always been eveyone's least favorite Friend.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I haven't seen Friends in years, but I do remember Ross as being an annoying git.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
McAvoy wrote:

One of those '15 things about Friends' things that pop up on my Facebook page every once in awhile. Read the comments and yeah Ross is not liked at all. Some of those articles will go mention how bad he was for Rachael.

Also a ex girlfriend said the same thing. We broke up on good terms so her opinion still matters. Lol
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Deadpool doesn't actually look bad. I had a friend at school who looked pretty much like that. He had really bad eczema, but so what.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I find the 1986 Transformers animated movie to be overrated at best. It's disjointed, with scenes barely connected to each other. The 'main' character, Hot Rod, pretty much gets no character development in the movie. Mood whiplash is horrible in it, shit gets tossed in with no explanation. I just hate the damned thing.

I like the 2007 live-action movie more than it and think it's overall better. At the very least we know what's up with the Allspark. And Sam gets an arc. Oh, and Mikaela is made of win.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I find the 1986 Transformers animated movie to be overrated at best. It's disjointed, with scenes barely connected to each other. The 'main' character, Hot Rod, pretty much gets no character development in the movie. Mood whiplash is horrible in it, shit gets tossed in with no explanation. I just hate the damned thing.

I like the 2007 live-action movie more than it and think it's overall better. At the very least we know what's up with the Allspark. And Sam gets an arc. Oh, and Mikaela is made of win.
I think the first movie was good and could have been better if a different director directed it. Never liked Michael Bay's over the top shit. All his films also had some sort of masturbatory military thing going on.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I like Daleks. Some of my favorite classic serials and new-Who episodes are Dalek-centric. But... I just can't be afraid of them. They don't frighten me. And sometimes the whole, "Daleks are the most evil and most powerful species!" that goes on in new-Who just makes me laugh. It's just a mental disconnect for me.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Discovery is canon and a worthy entry into the Star Trek pantheon

:poke:
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."