Response to Endgame tech

Voyager
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Response to Endgame tech

Post by Teaos »

So Voyager came home with new armor and torpedoes, but from what we see these werent deployed into the fleet, despite Voyager doing its own refit, in space, with limited supplies in a very short time.

So we assume Star Fleet is holding back the tech either due to temporal bullshit, or they are keeping it quite, ready for rapid and mass deployment, in order to not spark a arms race or let it slip into enemy hands.

But lets assume that after a period of testing to make sure it all works, Starfleet deploys it to the fleet.

What do the other powers do?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Response to Endgame tech

Post by Sonic Glitch »

My first guess is: Preemptive first strike.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Considering how rapidly it could be deployed, it would be out before they could stop it, in which case they are punching a brick wall.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It will be no different from the US having the bomb after World War II. Yes, for a few years there will be military supremacy for the Federation. But for one thing, we know that the Federation isn't going to use the supremacy to launch the conquest of the Alpha Quadrant. They'll just sit back and go back to doing their usual missions. Meanwhile, as Spock said, military secrets are the most fleeting of all. If the things are going to be in mass production through the fleet then the designs WILL leak, and sooner rather than later.And if Voyager can create these things out of their own resources then there won't even be any great lag in putting them into production; the week after the plans leak every Romulan, Klingon and Cardassian ship will have ablative armour generators and transphasic torpedoes. Then it's back to the status quo again.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Unless the Federation actually did something about "threats", it would be just as Graham described.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Sonic Glitch wrote:My first guess is: Preemptive first strike.
No that wouldn't work. The first strike might work initially until very soon, the opposing powers will be overwhelmed by sheer numbers of fanwank-Batman-tech. It also entirely depends on how many ships the Feds have prior to the preemptive strike.

On a similar note, I wonder where did the Endgame tech come from. Was it thought up entirely by the Voyager crew or was it developed from a series of technologies Voyager encountered and figured out how to combine it into the Borg-popping tech we see in Endgame?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But of both I always assumed.

Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

McAvoy wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:My first guess is: Preemptive first strike.
No that wouldn't work. The first strike might work initially until very soon, the opposing powers will be overwhelmed by sheer numbers of fanwank-Batman-tech. It also entirely depends on how many ships the Feds have prior to the preemptive strike.

On a similar note, I wonder where did the Endgame tech come from. Was it thought up entirely by the Voyager crew or was it developed from a series of technologies Voyager encountered and figured out how to combine it into the Borg-popping tech we see in Endgame?
I always assumed it was the result of another ~60 years of tech development and the components were easily replicated. Since they were From the Future, they were beyond modern Borg tech.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I think it was only 17 years and it was designed to fight the Borg of that time. I am not sure though.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Andrew82
Petty officer third class
Petty officer third class

Post by Andrew82 »

Has always intrigued me why the transphasic torpedoes where never supplied to top of the line ships like sovereign and galaxy class ships. Suppose it would have made nemesis a boring ending.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Andrew82 wrote:Has always intrigued me why the transphasic torpedoes where never supplied to top of the line ships like sovereign and galaxy class ships. Suppose it would have made nemesis a boring ending.
In one of the books, they say that Starfleet holds back on using the transphasics wherever possible because they know that if they keep using them then sooner or later the Borg will adapt to them and they'll become useless.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They are basically instant win weapons. Also the more they use them more chance other powers have to reverse engineer them.

Alexbright99
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Alexbright99 »

In the excellent Star Trek: Destiny book series this new technology is used to try to fend off the Borg, which gives the Borg the opportunity to slowly adapt to those transphasic torpedoes each time they're used. There's a lot of debate on this strategy. On the one hand, it's the only thing to defend yourself with in such a large-scale invasion. On the other hand, once the Borg have adapted... then what?
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

what is the purpose of a weapon if you do not use it when you are attacked?

after all the borg have already adapted to "traditional" weapons, so you would banally go back to the usual situation of confrontation with them.
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

Sometimes the use of a new super weapon isn’t as effective as the myth of a weapon. I once again fall back on my own military experience. The widespread rumor of an elite force or submarine in an area of extreme hostile actions can be far more threatening to opposing powers than an actual display of such things. Merely mentioning having a super powerful weapon is all that is needed to keep others in check out of fear of it being used. Transphasic torps May fall under the same thought process as modern day weapons.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”