Yeager Class (The Awesome Ship That Everyone Hates)

Deep Space Nine
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Yeager Class (The Awesome Ship That Everyone Hates)

Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Yeager Class (The Awesome Ship That Everyone Hates)

Post by DarkMoineau »

Everyone would have been happy with an Intrepid class frigate instead of the Yeager... except that guy ^^
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

DarkMoineau wrote:Everyone would have been happy with an Intrepid class frigate instead of the Yeager... except that guy ^^
in fact I would have liked to see several intrepids during the Dominion War
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

bladela wrote:
DarkMoineau wrote:Everyone would have been happy with an Intrepid class frigate instead of the Yeager... except that guy ^^
It would have been nice but I bet it was not to confuse the viewers. Like how is Voyager in the war while being on the other side of the galaxy.

Bellerphon though is a unique case.

I would have loved to see the Sovereign class. Or hell have the E-E make a cameo.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

McAvoy wrote:
bladela wrote:
It would have been nice but I bet it was not to confuse the viewers. Like how is Voyager in the war while being on the other side of the galaxy.

Bellerphon though is a unique case.

I would have loved to see the Sovereign class. Or hell have the E-E make a cameo.
Viewers are often treated as idiot unable to understand simple facts. TOS showed us mutliple Connies. TNG showed multiple Galaxy but DS9 was affraid we would confuse Voyager with another Intrepid?

For the Enterprise, I guess there was some issues but I would be surprised no one toyed with the idea of having the Big E at Cardassia Prime.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

It's not a case of confusion. It is the fact that Voyager was a show separate from DS9 and the Voyager producers wanted their ship not to be used in another show, thus blocking DS9 from using it. Equally, DS9 only allowed First Contact to use Defiant if it wasn't destroyed. The shows are more standalone than you would think.
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

When First Contact came out the story going around was that they had planned to destroy the Defiant in the battle. The producers on DS9 told them flat out that if they did, DS9 would ignore this and keep using the ship afterwards. Eventually the movie guys caved and that's how we got the "adrift, but salvageable" line.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

Graham Kennedy wrote:When First Contact came out the story going around was that they had planned to destroy the Defiant in the battle. The producers on DS9 told them flat out that if they did, DS9 would ignore this and keep using the ship afterwards. Eventually the movie guys caved and that's how we got the "adrift, but salvageable" line.
...and they would have every reason to do it...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Graham Kennedy wrote:When First Contact came out the story going around was that they had planned to destroy the Defiant in the battle. The producers on DS9 told them flat out that if they did, DS9 would ignore this and keep using the ship afterwards. Eventually the movie guys caved and that's how we got the "adrift, but salvageable" line.
What would be the point of destroying Defiant?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

DS9 did destroy defiant, and then did just keep on using it. The reason being that they didn't want to have to re-render all the CG effects they had. That's why the San Paulo got renamed to Defiant.
email, ergo spam
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

IanKennedy wrote:DS9 did destroy defiant, and then did just keep on using it. The reason being that they didn't want to have to re-render all the CG effects they had. That's why the San Paulo got renamed to Defiant.
If we had got DS9 writers and directors with Discovery budget, a lot of great things could have been done.

Sadly....
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Nutso wrote:
What would be the point of destroying Defiant?
They wanted a spectacular sequence for the Borg battle. At first they designed a ship (Not one of the ones we finally saw) whose sole purpose was to get blown up in closeup. They dropped that in favour of using the Defiant. Don't know why, but somebody probably said that since it was designed to fight the Borg then it would make sense if it did. Would also be a convenient way to get Worf onto the movie, that may have been a factor.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

DarkMoineau wrote: If we had got DS9 writers and directors with Discovery budget, a lot of great things could have been done.

Sadly....
say more than anything else are the 15 years of progress of the CGI, more than the budget (I do not think that the budget of Discovery, taking into account inflation, is then so much higher, but maybe I'm wrong ...)