Picard Leads "Radically Altered" Life - Alex Kurtzman

Trek Books, Games and General chat
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Picard Leads "Radically Altered" Life - Alex Kurtzman

Post by Nutso »

'Star Trek' Boss: Picard Leads "Radically Altered" Life in CBS All Access Series
Now, Trek captain Alex Kurtzman is pulling back the curtain on the upcoming project, revealing that a cataclysmic event depicted in J.J. Abrams' 2009 Star Trek movie impacted Picard in a big way. In that film, written by Kurtzman and former producing partner Roberto Orci, it was revealed that Nimoy's Spock failed to save the Romulan homeworld Romulus from a supernova several years after the events of Nemesis.

Now, Kurtzman — as part of a Creative Space interview with The Hollywood Reporter (posting Wednesday) — is ready to reveal one massive clue about the premise of his CBS All Access Picard effort, due in late 2019: "Picard's life was radically altered by the dissolution of the Romulan Empire," Kurtzman tells THR.

The Picard series will be the first onscreen Trek story set in the aftermath of that event, which would have altered the balance of power in the galaxy. The destruction of Romulus would also have extra resonance for Picard, who has a long and complicated relationship with the Romulans, the alien race that split from Vulcan society thousands of years ago and founded a separate civilization. The Romulans went on to control a portion of the galaxy, and the empire was in opposition to the Federation for all of Picard's career.
Kurtzman says Stewart agreed to return only if he could defy what people are used to seeing with Trek. "He threw down an amazing gauntlet and said, 'If we do this, I want it to be so different, I want it to be both what people remember but also not what they're expecting at all, otherwise why do it?' " Kurtzman recalls of their initial discussions for what would become the highly anticipated CBS All Access series.

That was part of a long journey to woo Stewart back to the role that began more than a year ago.
I have no idea what I am supposed to be expecting from Trek.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Re: Picard Leads "Radically Altered" Life - Alex Kurtzman

Post by Bryan Moore »

Oh god, they're following that timeline? :picard:
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well technically it's part of the Prime timeline. That said, had they simply decided that it had never happened I would have been just fine with that.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Well technically it's part of the Prime timeline. That said, had they simply decided that it had never happened I would have been just fine with that.
only case in the world where we would have liked less continuity :D :D
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Bryan Moore wrote:Oh god, they're following that timeline? :picard:
My sentiments exactly.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Graham is right, that IS Prime timeline, but as lamented in my "Abrams-verse" post in regards to that universe likely being permanently shelved, not just on hiatus... The whole lead up to the event that created the separation in universe is utterly awful, dictated by comic books and Star Trek Online while the official accounts leading to 2009 Trek in the backstage sources forced it to be canon. What a freaking mess that is. I'll be missing this series during the first run, sadly... but will be curious to check it out when available.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Well... We at least know that will not be TNG part 2... maybe a more reasoned version of Star Trek Online?

Joking, it's Kurtzman who helm that.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Things I could see Picard doing :

1) Starfleet Admiral, possibly Chief of Starfleet.
2) Commandant of Starfleet Academy.
3) Left Starfleet, now an Ambassador or other high ranking diplomat.
4) Left Starfleet, now a teacher.
5) Left Starfleet, now an archeologist.

Not much else.

Here's a question. How do people feel about this show, right now? Are you excited for it? Are you hopeful about it? Nervous?

I have to say, honestly I feel kind of gloomy. I expect that they will mess the show up. I expect that they will mess Picard's character up. I might be wrong, I certainly hope I am wrong, but I'll honestly be shocked if this is any good.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Things I could see Picard doing :

Not much else.

Here's a question. How do people feel about this show, right now? Are you excited for it? Are you hopeful about it? Nervous?

I have to say, honestly I feel kind of gloomy. I expect that they will mess the show up. I expect that they will mess Picard's character up. I might be wrong, I certainly hope I am wrong, but I'll honestly be shocked if this is any good.
Left Starfleet, now picking grapes.

Starfleet gets him to come back by informing him that a person from his past, that we've never seen, is in trouble, kidnapped/imprisoned/set for execution by an enigmatic alien species, with vague warrior-culture beliefs, and only Picard has experience with these people through this mutual friend, so he's the "best option" Starfleet's got. Sorry for my cynicism.
Stan - South Park
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Things I could see Picard doing :

Not much else.

i pick the third as the more likely (and in line with the character...sorry...i don't see him as an admiral...
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I'm intrigued and looking forward to it. I dunno. Just got a feeling, mostly.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

I am skeptical about Kurtzman and the continuation of that arc. Stewart himself could portray Picard as a born-again Christian circus clown bent on uniting the galaxy through the love of Christ and balloon animal Borg and my office desk would still rise six inches as I sit and watch... Truly looking forward to seeing Picard one more time.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I've heard some people are concerned that Picard will be like Luke from The Last Jedi.

Also someone thinks that if Harry Kim shows up in this, he will still be an ensign. No radical alterations for him.
Stan - South Park
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkMoineau »

Nutso wrote:I've heard some people are concerned that Picard will be like Luke from The Last Jedi.

Also someone thinks that if Harry Kim shows up in this, he will still be an ensign. No radical alterations for him.
After The Last Jedi, I think it's a fear in the mind of everyone when an iconic character is announced to return, the talk here illustrate it.

But Steward seems enthusiast when Mark Hamill clearly said he didn't recognised the character so maybe we can hope it will be watchable at least.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

If it’s to be a radically-altered Picard, why have it be Picard?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer