Questions from a late night Star Trek Beyond viewing

Discussion of the new run of Star Trek XI+ movies and any spinoffs

Questions from a late night Star Trek Beyond viewing

Postby T'Pau » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:34 pm

Star Base Yorktown: What is the outer shell made of? If breached by say space junk, would explosive decompression follow? Is there a force field supporting the structure? Did anyone else notice similarities with 'Elysium', 'Inception', and even 'Dr. Strange', with the topsy-turvy mobius feel to it?

Krall: Did he and his crew change more physically or mentally over time? Would a bit more backstory on the USS Franklin been helping in telling their story? Was there a favorite stage of his appearance? (for me, it was the full blown dragon-man)

Jaylah (or however it is spelled :bangwall: ): Since being offered to join Star Fleet Academy, would her character be interesting enough to join a later film? Based simply on appearance and speech patterning, I'd think so.

Teenaxians: A couple of them were beamed aboard with Kirk. Why were they not returned to their planet? Are they hostages? One at the end, was in a classic 'red shirt', was he a member of the crew, even minus the pants?

I'm sure there were more questions, but now my brain is not longer sleep deprived, I can't remember them :laughroll:
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
User avatar
T'Pau
Ensign
Ensign
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu May 14, 2009 6:24 pm
Location: New York City, NY USA

Re: Questions from a late night Star Trek Beyond viewing

Postby Graham Kennedy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:26 pm

I like to think there is a whole B story we never got to see where the Teenaxian learned to love the Enterprise crew just like Jaylah did, and enlisted in security.

Fun fact : Jaylah's name derives from Jennifer Lawrence. When writing the character, Simon Pegg and Doug Jung had in mind Lawrence's character Ree Dolly in Winter's Bone. Since they hadn't thought of a character name yet, they took to calling her "Jennifer Lawrence from Winter's Bone". When that got too long they called her "J-Law", and then wrote that as Jaylah.

As for the station, I have to believe that there's either a mondo structural integrity field strengthening that shell material, or there's forcefield backups. Or the whole shell is a forcefield. It's telling that the drones never even tried to penetrate the shell, they all went through the airlock. The only reason I can think of is that the shell could not be penetrated, even by that attack.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
User avatar
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11120
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:28 pm
Location: Banbury, UK

Re: Questions from a late night Star Trek Beyond viewing

Postby bladela » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:30 am

Graham Kennedy wrote:As for the station, I have to believe that there's either a mondo structural integrity field strengthening that shell material, or there's forcefield backups. Or the whole shell is a forcefield. It's telling that the drones never even tried to penetrate the shell, they all went through the airlock. The only reason I can think of is that the shell could not be penetrated, even by that attack.


They are not able to penetrate the shell but they have no problems with the shields? kinda weird :)
bladela
Ensign
Ensign
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:36 am

Re: Questions from a late night Star Trek Beyond viewing

Postby Graham Kennedy » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:00 pm

bladela wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:As for the station, I have to believe that there's either a mondo structural integrity field strengthening that shell material, or there's forcefield backups. Or the whole shell is a forcefield. It's telling that the drones never even tried to penetrate the shell, they all went through the airlock. The only reason I can think of is that the shell could not be penetrated, even by that attack.


They are not able to penetrate the shell but they have no problems with the shields? kinda weird :)

Abramsverse shields don't seem to do anything, for some reason.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
User avatar
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11120
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:28 pm
Location: Banbury, UK

Re: Questions from a late night Star Trek Beyond viewing

Postby bladela » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:57 am

Graham Kennedy wrote:Abramsverse shields don't seem to do anything, for some reason.


yeah, something that, although not consistently, has already begun with ds9 for me, here it has been exaggerated.
bladela
Ensign
Ensign
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:36 am

Re: Questions from a late night Star Trek Beyond viewing

Postby Graham Kennedy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:23 pm

I think effects people or producers/directors have decided it looks cool to see ships shooting and causing explosions on one another's hull. So they keep shield dialogue in because it's tradition, but don't bother with the actual shields.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
User avatar
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11120
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:28 pm
Location: Banbury, UK

Re: Questions from a late night Star Trek Beyond viewing

Postby bladela » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:17 pm

Graham Kennedy wrote:I think effects people or producers/directors have decided it looks cool to see ships shooting and causing explosions on one another's hull. So they keep shield dialogue in because it's tradition, but don't bother with the actual shields.


I also think so ... and I find it crazy

what's cooler than this?

Image

8-) 8-)
bladela
Ensign
Ensign
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:36 am

Re: Questions from a late night Star Trek Beyond viewing

Postby Graham Kennedy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:19 pm

I could buy some explanation about 'well weapons have become so powerful that the shields can't stop it all, so a phaser blast is attenuated by like 95% and the remaining 5% gets through.'

But in Trek 09, when the Enterprise comes out in the debris field at Vulcan we see a piece of wreckage come gently in and strike the hull, ripping off a bunch of hull panels. If that can get through a shield, why bother with shields? For that matter, how come it can rip chunks off the hull even without shields?

45 seconds into this clip

Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
User avatar
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11120
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:28 pm
Location: Banbury, UK

Re: Questions from a late night Star Trek Beyond viewing

Postby bladela » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:19 pm

Graham Kennedy wrote:I could buy some explanation about 'well weapons have become so powerful that the shields can't stop it all, so a phaser blast is attenuated by like 95% and the remaining 5% gets through.'


this is acceptable ... even to give a minimum of drama to the scene ... to understand ... as seen in Ds9 and Voy I can accept it, which in the end is what you say.

But in Trek 09, when the Enterprise comes out in the debris field at Vulcan we see a piece of wreckage come gently in and strike the hull, ripping off a bunch of hull panels. If that can get through a shield, why bother with shields? For that matter, how come it can rip chunks off the hull even without shields?

This scene was made perfectly in nemesis ... impact against the hull, damaged shields ... glitches and damage to the systems ... but the hull remains virtually intact.

Put so much it would be worth throwing it like a modern naval battle ... it would become a matter of compartmentation since no ship is now armored (it is difficult to have sufficient armor against a nuclear warhead ...)
bladela
Ensign
Ensign
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:36 am

Re: Questions from a late night Star Trek Beyond viewing

Postby Nutso » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:03 am

You know, that picture from First Contact vs the video from Abrams Trek, lens flares suck. Really, really suck. First Contact: clean, clear, crisp, concise. Abrams: messy, shaky, energetic, blinding.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
User avatar
Nutso
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
 
Posts: 6984
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:58 pm

Re: Questions from a late night Star Trek Beyond viewing

Postby bladela » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:07 am

Nutso wrote:You know, that picture from First Contact vs the video from Abrams Trek, lens flares suck. Really, really suck. First Contact: clean, clear, crisp, concise. Abrams: messy, shaky, energetic, blinding.


...even JJ admitted he was a bit exaggerated ...
bladela
Ensign
Ensign
 
Posts: 181
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:36 am

Re: Questions from a late night Star Trek Beyond viewing

Postby Graham Kennedy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:37 pm

And the reason he did it was to emphasise how bright the Trek future is!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
User avatar
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 11120
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:28 pm
Location: Banbury, UK

Re: Questions from a late night Star Trek Beyond viewing

Postby RK_Striker_JK_5 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:33 pm

Graham Kennedy wrote:And the reason he did it was to emphasise how bright the Trek future is!




This should not be your design plan!
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
 
Posts: 11676
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:27 am
Location: New Hampshire


Return to Abrams Universe / Kelvin Timeline

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron