Amazon's "Lord of The Rings" TV show is a go

Everything else
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Amazon's "Lord of The Rings" TV show is a go

Post by Nutso »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... ix-1099213
On Nov. 13, Amazon Studios beat out Netflix for a $250 million rights deal with the Tolkien estate, publisher HarperCollins and New Line Cinema that includes a five-season commitment to bring The Lord of the Rings to the small screen. With the clock ticking, Amazon must be in production within two years, according to the terms of the pact. When production expenses like casting, producers and visual effects are factored in, the series is expected to cost north of $1 billion.

Within weeks of Amazon chief Jeff Bezos' directive last September to his since-ousted content chief Roy Price to bring in the next Game of Thrones, negotiations were underway that also involved publisher HarperCollins and New Line. Greenberg Glusker attorney Matt Galsor, who served as the chief architect of the deal and repped the Tolkien estate, was hammering out terms that include a potential spinoff.

"This is the most complicated deal I've ever seen," Galsor says, "but it was handled relatively quickly, in a way that brought the parties together in a close relationship. It was tough, but everybody liked each other and felt like a team more as the deal closed."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... me-1058129
Amazon's megadeal for The Lord of the Rings is believed to be for five seasons — plus a potential spinoff — with insiders putting the price tag for global rights at around $250 million. Once production budgets, casting, writers, producers and visual effects are factored in, the total for the Rings series — which will be set in Middle-earth and explore storylines preceding The Fellowship of the Ring — could hit $1 billion. Yes, $1 billion for a TV show.

"This is a unique opportunity to tell new stories in a magical world that is a global phenomenon," Amazon head of scripted Sharon Tal Yguado tells THR in justifying the deal. "As we build our diverse portfolio of programming, we are making some of our big bets on tentpole series."
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Amazon's "Lord of The Rings" TV show is a go

Post by Nutso »

https://nerdist.com/lord-of-the-rings-t ... 20(Report)

LORD OF THE RINGS TV Series Will Follow Young Aragorn (Report)
The news comes courtesy of TheOneRing.net (via Slashfilm), who tweeted on Wednesday that multiple sources have confirmed to them that the billion-dollar Lord of the Rings TV series‘ first season will center on a young Aragorn. The report goes on to say that the show will not be a retread of the events of the War of the Ring, and will be focused on the events found within the Appendices, which gives a wealth of material for the TV show to explore.

My working theory is that, if this report is reliable, the show will track Aragorn as he is fostered by Elrond in Rivendell, following the young heir as he learns the truth of his royal blood all the way, meets and falls in love with Arwen, and becomes the Chieftain of the Dúnedain, a.k.a. the Rangers of the North.

What is also fascinating about this report is that it specifies that only the show’s first season will focus on Aragorn. Previous reports confirmed that the show will have at least five seasons–hence the billion dollar price tag–which, as Slashfilm notes, seems to indicate that it could be taking an anthology-style approach to exploring the rich fantasy world of J.R.R. Tolkien.
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Dare I hope for an arc of the Siege of Gondolin, or the theft of the Silmaril?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:Dare I hope for an arc of the Siege of Gondolin, or the theft of the Silmaril?
Or the Akallabêth?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mikey wrote:Dare I hope for an arc of the Siege of Gondolin, or the theft of the Silmaril?
Or the Akallabêth?
Indeed. I’d enjoy seeing more of the history behind the history, if they’re going to first show the Dunedain of the North.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Plans to film $1 billion Lord of the Rings television series in NZ under threat
The Government has held a crisis meeting with Amazon TV executives as the network threatens to pull plans to film the Lord of the Rings series in New Zealand.

At US$1 billion (NZ$1.49 billion), it is touted as the most expensive television series in history – and accordingly, the most lucrative for the country where it is filmed.

Earlier this year, production company boss Jennifer Salke confirmed New Zealand was being considered as the location – but now, that's in jeopardy.

Amazon executives met this week with Economic Development Minister David Parker to express their concerns about a lack of studio capacity in Auckland.

In September, Auckland Council paid for a 20-page magazine to be distributed with the Hollywood Reporter, boasting of the city's capacity to host big screen productions. "Auckland is the natural home for brilliantly realised film and television," the headline read.

But Auckland Tourism, Events and Economic Development (Ateed) refused to confirm whether it attended this week's meeting at Parliament. Economic development general manager Pam Ford said: "As the screen attraction agency for our region, ATEED is constantly in discussion with numerous screen production companies about them potentially locating projects in Auckland."
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Amazon begins its Lord of The Rings Campaign with an Interactive Map.
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Series confirmed to be set in The Second Age

https://twitter.com/LOTRonPrime/status/ ... 6509344768
Stan - South Park