Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Review of the 'Starfleet Argo Rover'

Post by Graham Kennedy »

If you watch TNG, it's actually noteworthy that basically nothing Federation/Starfleet on the entire show has wheels on it. I have a vague memory that this was one of Gene's ideas for the period, that antigrav technology had rendered the wheel obsolete. Then Nemesis comes along with this thing and spoils all that!

It's why I take it to be Picard's pleasure vehicle more than anything. A deliberate throwback that he had replicated because he saw cars in his Dixon Hill program and thought they were fun.

Although if that were true, one has to wonder why there's a phaser cannon on the thing. Target shooting?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Graham Kennedy wrote:If you watch TNG, it's actually noteworthy that basically nothing Federation/Starfleet on the entire show has wheels on it. I have a vague memory that this was one of Gene's ideas for the period, that antigrav technology had rendered the wheel obsolete. Then Nemesis comes along with this thing and spoils all that!

It's why I take it to be Picard's pleasure vehicle more than anything. A deliberate throwback that he had replicated because he saw cars in his Dixon Hill program and thought they were fun.

Although if that were true, one has to wonder why there's a phaser cannon on the thing. Target shooting?
You gonna tell Captain Picard he can't mount a phaser cannon on his private dune buggy? :P
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I always put wheels in the same category as guns and phasers or energy weapons. Energy weapons can be disrupted/blocked. So if you have to fight your enemy with bladed weapons because your energy weapons will not work, then Plan B should be some sort of modernized gun. Provided you know about it before you go to the planet.

Same goes for wheels and anti gravity tech.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
bladela
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by bladela »

you can also "disrupt" wheels too, just need nails. :)
"in casa dal 4 marzo, come sono felice"
"at home since March 4th, how happy I am"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

bladela wrote:you can also "disrupt" wheels too, just need nails. :)
Who said that the Argo vehicle had pneumatic tires?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:
They certain look pneumatic, but they're probably run-flats.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

It could have been developed during the Dominion War, where anti-grav platforms could be detected due to higher energy output, but a wheeled vehicle used less energy.

I am assuming both the Federation and the Dominion in combat would use some form of sensors and transporter jamming. Together this means that when Federation personnel had to move around, they had to use as little energy as practical, but fast enough to respond/reposition. Hence, light and fast wheeled vehicles.

From there, after the war was over Picard saw one of the vehicles, took it out for a trial run, and decided he liked it better than walking everywhere.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Coalition wrote:decided he liked it better than walking everywhere.hauling ass and rolling coke like a bootlegger with the g-men on his tail.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mikey wrote:
They certain look pneumatic, but they're probably run-flats.
Could very well be those airless tires that are starting to come out now. Basically a honeycomb of rubber inside the tire.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

That was really just enjoyable to watch Patrick Stewarts’ Utter glee while driving it around! I disagree with the dominion strategy to prevent detection though. While it may have the retractable phaser Cannon, as far as defensive capabilities, it’s got nothing we see to protect the occupants. Clearly see dust and debris hitting their faces, when the natives are pursuing them in their 4x4’s and shooting at them (what are the odds of landing on a planet with a vehicle completely similar to what the locals use??), they do not engage any sort of armor + so no shielding. It’s noisy, only transports three to maybe four people at a time, and is only good for specific terrains. Not really a multi-purpose military vehical against dominion ground forces.

Lastly..
Question: why does that one have a shiny head?
Answer: There can be only one.
AND because he always has had a shiny head. Seriously, I think Stewart is really an immortal. Watch a movie he was in from 30 years ago, his head/face hasn’t changed much!!
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Similar allegations were launched against the vehicle which has since become known as the Army Jeep. More recently, USN SEALs and US Army Rangers have successfully used the DPV (née FAV) since the early nineties, which vehicle seems to exactly replicate the role-fulfillment of the Argo. Limited-role =/= useless.
as Bull offed Custer