Electronic display screen inside your arm

In the real world
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Why "other than the medical crap"? That is an integral part of what we're talking about... isn't that important enough? And as far as not reading posts: in order to have THAT part developed, the promise of the profitable if arbitrarily useless features is what drives the development so we can have the "medical crap."

What can an iPhone do that my phone and wi-fi PDA can't when they're Bluetooth or IR linked? Nothing. But plenty o' people bought iPhones, didn't they? It's not what it can do; it's how it does it.

Or, are you seriously saying that even though this technology can have serious positive medical benefits, those aren't enough for you to allow for further development?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Post by Blackstar the Chakat »

What can an iPhone do that my phone and wi-fi PDA can't when they're Bluetooth or IR linked? Nothing. But plenty o' people bought iPhones, didn't they? It's not what it can do; it's how it does it.
I'd have to know what type of phone and PDA you own to give you a specific answer. iPhones are upgraded versions of whatever you probably own, perhaps more focused on media applications then what I'm guessing you'd use.
Or, are you seriously saying that even though this technology can have serious positive medical benefits, those aren't enough for you to allow for further development?
I've said it before, and I'm guessing that I'll have to say it again after this, I'm not against the medical benefits. I just don't see this as becoming a device used for non-medical purposes. Not only do I see the majority of the population not wanting this device I see them objecting to it.
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Other than medical apps, I can also see the military would be very interested in this, seeing as how it would be one less piece of equipment to carry, and also no one would have the excuse of losing their communication device. Every soldier would be able to communicate with their commanding officer or another soldier over a much greater distance than tactical radios, especially if they made these for satellite phone reception. I wonder who the service provider would be, Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, or maybe all three?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Again, good on paper but I don't see that being done in practice. The damage and mantinence would be even harder to deal with in a battle field.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

mwhittington wrote:
Other than medical apps, I can also see the military would be very interested in this, seeing as how it would be one less piece of equipment to carry, and also no one would have the excuse of losing their communication device. Every soldier would be able to communicate with their commanding officer or another soldier over a much greater distance than tactical radios, especially if they made these for satellite phone reception. I wonder who the service provider would be, Sprint, AT&T, Verizon, or maybe all three?
Unencrypted comms on the battlefield=death. And this would be useless because it's under the uniform, do you want to remove your nuke suit and die so you can communicate?

Edit: And if they use traditional cell systems, than they have to erect towers or at least trucks with masts all over the AOR. Satellite would be better but that stuff costs something like 12$ a minute.
Last edited by Aaron on Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:I'm not against the medical benefits.
We get it. The problem is that you DO seem to be against the other, arbitrarily less useful, applications. But as I've pointed out 132 times, you don't get one without the other.

As far as people not wanting it, then they don't have to get it. Nobody's talking about mandatory usage. And if market research determines that it will not be lucrative, then it won't get done.

*EDIT* Please answer the main question of my prior posts: WHY "other than the medical crap?"
as Bull offed Custer
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

Mikey wrote: Please answer the main question of my prior posts: WHY "other than the medical crap?"
I don't think I understand the question
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

ChakatBlackstar wrote:
Mikey wrote: Please answer the main question of my prior posts: WHY "other than the medical crap?"
I don't think I understand the question
I think it means why does there need to be other than medical reasons.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

No. Blackstar said there was no useful reason "other than the medical crap." One of my questions was, why does there need to be other reasons? Isn't that enough?
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

At least for me, the 'medical crap' would be more than enough.

Although the stuff Rochey listed on the bpage before... I'll admit, might be a bit too much for me. Sounds a few steps away from the Borg. :p
Blackstar the Chakat
Banned

I encourage the medical stuff. I just don't think this stuff just because of the phone, or other features that could be added.