'Solo' 4 day open of $104 million disappointing?

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

'Solo' 4 day open of $104 million disappointing?

Post by Nutso »

http://deadline.com/2018/05/solo-a-star ... 202397848/
3rd Update Sunday AM: Refresh for updates Disney’s Solo: A Star Wars Story is now sinking well below its $130M projection, with Disney now reporting the pic’s three-day at $83.3M and four-day at $101M. Industry estimates are in sync with what Disney is forecasting.

The Solo stateside B.O. experience is reminiscent of Justice League, another movie aimed at superfans that many optimistically predicted would open at $110M-$120M, only to see the film collapse. In fact, Solo is coming in well below Justice League‘s $93.8M 3-day, and could match that pic’s 4-day of $101.3M, even though the DC film wasn’t technically a four-day opening bolstered by a holiday Monday. Overseas is a different story between the two pics as Justice League generated 65% of its global gross outside U.S./Canada, a ratio rivals aren’t expecting on Solo.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: 'Solo' 4 day open of $104 million disappointing?

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

This is the third Star Wars film in four years. They used to be 'events', milestones. It's too much, IMHO.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

In the same period there have been eleven Marvel movies, though.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Graham Kennedy wrote:In the same period there have been eleven Marvel movies, though.
The marvel movies can be very different from each other, though.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:In the same period there have been eleven Marvel movies, though.
The marvel movies can be very different from each other, though.
This is true. In a way the MCU isn't a franchise, but a series of linked franchises and one combo franchise. I wonder how many people see all the Iron Man movies but skip all the Thor movies, etc.

The Star Wars movies could be very different from one another, if they'd let them be. Everyone involved in making them seems to think the fans want the same basic thing over and over, though.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:This is the third Star Wars film in four years. They used to be 'events', milestones. It's too much, IMHO.
I don't think it's Star Wars fatigue. This is, for once, directly attributed to Disney. They distribute and market the movies. This was their dumb decision to release a movie that was re shot from a 90% finished comedy film, in between the biggest Marvel movie yet, Deadpool 2, and Jurassic World but, with none of the extensive marketing those movies got.

The first teaser dropped in February, and the very first trailer dropped in April, for a movie premiering in May against the stiffest movie competition in years. For some dumb reason, Disney wanted this movie to stick to the schedule rather than go for a safer, and more marketing-friendly, December release. Because of the re-shoots, this movie cost more to make than The Force Awakens' $245 million, and Rogue One's $200 million, which itself had some extensive re-shoots. Why not push the release back?

https://screenrant.com/solo-movie-budge ... qm&ampcf=1

Major kudos to Ron Howard for pulling this thing together in such a short time.
Stan - South Park
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Now there are reports that plans for Obi-Wan Kenobi and Boba Fett films are on hold due to this disappointing performance

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/06/ ... olo-debut/
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Now there are reports that plans for Obi-Wan Kenobi and Boba Fett films are on hold due to this disappointing performance

I was about to come post about this. The way I saw it said was that they were putting every "A Star Wars story" movie on hold until further notice.

My bet is that Kathleen Kennedy will "decide" that she wants to move on to greater challenges sometime in the next few months. And whomever else replaces her will sit down and have a bunch of meetings with the suits to hash out just what they want to do next.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
Captain Picard's Hair wrote:Now there are reports that plans for Obi-Wan Kenobi and Boba Fett films are on hold due to this disappointing performance

I was about to come post about this. The way I saw it said was that they were putting every "A Star Wars story" movie on hold until further notice.

My bet is that Kathleen Kennedy will "decide" that she wants to move on to greater challenges sometime in the next few months. And whomever else replaces her will sit down and have a bunch of meetings with the suits to hash out just what they want to do next.
Before the Solo flop, and TLJ, Kathleen Kennedy was being spoken of being promoted to head of Disney when Bob Iger steps down in 2019, although this may have been talk by Star Wars fans. Iger allegedly has political aspirations, Kennedy is the most financially successful producer, so it seemed a natural fit. I think the fans were saying then Kevin Feige takes over Star Wars.
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Nutso wrote:Kevin Feige takes over Star Wars.
Well, I'm 200% down with this part, at least.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I think it's not fatigue as more of a direct response to TLJ. Alot of fans did not like it. Between that and little promotion for Solo and being bracketed by huge movies like Infinity War, Deadpool 2 didn't do it any favors.

MCU is at the point where it IS the big movie to see. Star Wars used to be that.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

The Latest Star Wars Rumor Involves a Canceled Mos Eisley Movie
In the world of Star Wars rumors, “you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy,” and the latest is a doozy.

Making Star Wars reports that, much like a recent rumor said, an upcoming Star Wars standalone film has been put on hold. However, the site doesn’t believe the film in question is either the Boba Fett or the Obi-Wan movie. According to its reporting, the movie canceled was a Mos Eisley Spaceport movie, a completely separate Star Wars Story from anything we’ve heard about before.

Now, when it comes to Star Wars rumors, it’s always important to take things with a grain of salt. Sometimes many grains of salt. Everyone wants to post them, but very few are properly vetted, and it’s easy to just make them up. But in a world of scum and villainy, Making Star Wars is one of the best sources out there we’ve come to know, which is why we’re giving this particular rumor a bit more consideration.

According to the site, Pinewood Studios (where all the recent Star Wars films have been shot) had time scheduled after Episode IX for another Star Wars movie, which multiple employees of Pinewood believed was about Mos Eisley. However, that block of time was recently taken off the Pinewood schedule—which, Making Star Wars believes, is what led to the recent report of Star Wars Story films in general being put on hold. A report, by the way, that Lucasfilm sister company ABC News denied today.
I wonder if this would have been about the guys who fucked with Luke and got cut down by Obi-Wan?
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Doubtful. Robot Chicken did a good bit about them, though.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Mikey wrote:Doubtful. Robot Chicken did a good bit about them, though.
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Nutso wrote:
Mikey wrote:Doubtful. Robot Chicken did a good bit about them, though.
Better than anything Disney might've done.