Fix a TOS episode

The Original Series
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fix a TOS episode

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So I thought it might be fun to pick out a TOS episode that you don't like and come up with a fix for it.

The rule is that the fix should be something straightforward and doable at the time. So no "CGI the alien to be a six legged spider-bat creature!" or "add fifteen minutes extra battle scenes!" or anything like that.

Examples...

In Spock's Brain, I would not have the women steal Spock's brain. Rather, have them kidnap Spock himself. On their planet he's plugged into their computer with lots of wires going into his head, and McCoy's task is to safely remove him.

Why? It's largely budget neutral, it removes the basic absurdity of the "they stole his brain!" plot, and it dispenses with the ridiculous remote controlled Spock idea. Yet it tells more or less the same story.

The Changeling, I would do away with Uhura's mindwipe and reeducation. If necessary you can still wipe her mind, but say Nomad blocked the memories rather than erasing them, and show her rapidly recovering and regaining her memories at the end.

Again, it is budget neutral and removes a rather absurd aspect of the story in favour of something much more sensible.

Balance of Terror. Change "simple impulse" to "fusion power, low warp capability only".

Pretty obvious, this one. Again, budget neutral, and removes a rather obvious nit.

What examples can you think of?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Fix a TOS episode

Post by Black Jesus »

"The Mark of Gideon," when Captain Kirk woos Odona, the cumshot was way over the top. Neutral on the budget and editing doesn't affect the plot.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Galileo Seven: Remove the bit about the Enterprise needing to go to Makus to deliver vitally-needed medical supplies. Have the tension about rescuing the stranded crew come from radiation or a wandering asteroid or something.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

"Catspaw." Eradicate all record of its existence.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Remove Sulu from all episodes, since he may or may not have done something bad in 1981. That'll make everything better!!!
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Bryan Moore wrote:Remove Sulu from all episodes, since he may or may not have done something bad in 1981. That'll make everything better!!!
Oh, my!
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

In "The Lights of Zetar" rename the station Memory Omega or something of the sort. Ditch it being the foremost data library in the Federation and make it a remote last-ditch storage place, like a distant vault for information in a doomsday scenario.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Space Seed: Just add two simple lines that allows both it and later time-travel mess-ups to co-exist.

Someone basically saying: "I've never heard of the Eugenics Wars I'm from -Insert space colony-."

Someone else: "It wasn't open warfare like you're thinking, understandable that with how many civilians in the areas it took place weren't even directly affected that those elsewhere had never heard of it, unlike the World Wars."

This allows for Voyager's two-parter in two ways: One, it would imply that the Eugenics wars didn't affect Los Angeles, two, allow for the crew themselves to be unaware.

And also for the Voyage Home too, if you think about it. They're in the time where Khan lived and they don't even name-drop the eugenics wars which was supposed to be something picking up in that time. This makes it so they're not worried because, like above, it wasn't an open conflict, and San Francisco isn't affected by it. With Voyager's 90s trip, ergo West Coast US.

And side-fixes issues with other time travel to the 20th-21st century, why Q referenced a lot of things *sniff* with that weird costume *sniff* that had a retractable drug dispenser? *sniff sniff*. yet that not show up later, and the crew are like, "Yes, there are miss-steps in our past, conflicts we'd so much want to forget about that some of us were never taught about them in the first place."

Although this would practically be a license to make any old conflict up and the crew wouldn't knew if it was actually history or, well, made up in-universe (which is my headcannon for Q's history-shaming antics)